Being an AI is fun!

So I started a new rotation yesterday, Acting Intern in Pediatrics. I knew I was gonna like it when the attending said to me, “When I refer to students, I mean the third-years, NOT you.” She then described my duties and responsibilities and it was pretty cool. Patient care, stuff, of course, but LOTS of chances to teach students and even help evaluate their skills… I AM acting as the intern on the team. Today I had my first chance to be the “teaching resident” and boy did I have a good time.
Of course I recognized that I can really relax and enjoy the teaching job because I don’t have ultimate responsibility for patient care (plus our census is really low) but still… it was fun. Even the q2 call I’m gonna do this weekend can’t dampen my spirits.
Can’t wait to find out what I’ll be doing next year, and START DOING IT!

That is great Mary. sounds like you are psyched for it too.
Have fun at it. smile.gif

Have a BLAST Mary and thanks for the “sermon”…I needed that!!! Take care!

Hey Mary,
Remember I said that you really ENJOY medical school during fourth year and during orientation week. It looks like you have started out on a great rotation! Enjoy the kiddies and enjoy playing with their toys after they go to bed! Where are you doing your AI? Are you at Inova Fairfax? Inova has the coolest peds department. smile.gif
Natalie

Hey Natalie, I’m doing this rotation at Holy Cross. It’s a small peds unit - nothing like the fabulous one at Inova Fairfax - but very friendly and fun to work on. The residents are affiliated with Children’s. I did my Peds rotation there last year and thought so highly of the attending that I wanted a chance to work with her again. She had VERY high expectations of us, we worked hard and learned a lot! She is also a “master teacher” - she’s been taking courses - and since education is something I really enjoy, I am glad to have another chance to learn from her.
But yep, fourth year is just flat-out fun. A nice reward after third year!

Oh, and to add to the fun… got my Step 2 scores back today. Natalie, you were right: I improved by 15 points from Step 1. Yay for me. Instead of a few points shy of the national mean, I was 8 points above the mean, so I can officially be a citizen of Lake Woebegone, I guess (“where all the children are above average”).
I am happy even though I’m post-call AND going back tomorrow! This MUST be fun, or perhaps I am certifiable… hmmm, let’s not think about that one too much.

QUOTE (Mary Renard @ Sep 5 2003, 09:16 PM)
Oh, and to add to the fun.... got my Step 2 scores back today. Natalie, you were right: I improved by 15 points from Step 1. Yay for me. Instead of a few points shy of the national mean, I was 8 points *above* the mean, so I can officially be a citizen of Lake Woebegone, I guess ("where all the children are above average").
I am happy even though I'm post-call AND going back tomorrow! This MUST be fun, or perhaps I am certifiable... hmmm, let's not think about that one too much.

Hey Mary,
Here's a belated "Congratulations" on the great Step II performance. Now there is not much between you and graduation. That's the best feeling of all. You can relax and enjoy your electives without having Step II hanging over you. Gee, those Step II scores came back fast.
Oh, keep your little score report sheets in a very safe place. Those will be the only copies of score reports that you will get and sometimes your residency folks want to see how you have done in the individual disciplines. I just found my two in with some of my papers. You can request a transcript but that is a $50 payout. It is easier to just have the score reports handy. That little number on the score reports will be handy for your ERAS too. Keep those papers! rolleyes.gif
Natalie