Best First Step

I am in my early 40’s now and have had numerous false starts with regard to applying to med school. Undergrad GPA 3.9’ish (old prerequisites/biochem degree/published) and beginning of graduate work at Teachers College Columbia University in Nutrition Education GPA 4.0. All coursework is 10+ years old. Worked as a MA for several years, but again, that was 10+ years ago, as well. Life, consisting predominantly of family illnesses and being primary caregiver, has had much to do with this huge delay. Currently NED (3+ years) from bc dx, but this is what has prompted me to move forward now…as you can imagine, that was a major life changing, wake-up call!

Sorry for the long summary, but I don’t even know where to start now. I had thought that preparing for and acing the MCAT was my first step. However, upon reading other posts, here’s my question:

Should I, perhaps, complete my MS at Columbia first or even retake my prerequisites? Should I focus on the MCAT, as previously planned? If more recent clinical experience and/or volunteer work is required, that wouldn’t be a problem.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Speaking as a non trad 50yo reboot after being my partners ft caregiver - prostate stage 4. I rebooted my premed Postbac program in 2019 after bailing when he became paralyzed in 2017 and died in 2018. He died in 2018.

My 2 cents: Reboot all the prerequisites for premedical post baccalaureate prep. (Maybe talk to the Columbia premed post bacc program?) 10 years is too long. Your life experience is direct to patient is patient direct experience.

PM me if you want to discuss further.

Good luck!
Eliza