Bio 2 in Spring Semester then test?

I’ve read a few other posts and think this would be okay, but want to double check as I could change things, though it would have to be in the next day or so!

My plan is to have my science courses complete and then take my last course, Bio 2, in the spring semester of the year I test. I would take the MCAT at the end of April (near my exam for Bio 2) or early May. Then would apply to school after I have my scores.

The alternative is to take Gen. Chem. 2 and Bio 2 now and that leaves the spring semester completely open for MCAT prep. My concern is that taking two courses at the same time (I also have full time work, wife, kids) might be too much.

Would my original plan be okay from a preparation and application timing point of view? I do have that winter semester free for MCAT prep and two summers as well.

Thanks!

Joe

The timing of taking the MCAT is great. Taking it either in late april early may, has your scores to you by applications and gives you an opportunity for retakes. As far as your class scheduling, think of MCAT prep as atleast a 6 credit hour class. I took MCAT prep and OChem II and Physio. I have the wife but no kids and a pretty heavy volunteering load at the time. I am happy with my score but do wish it could have been a little higher, so take that what you will. I will say that you will never feel fully prepared for the MCAT though, so there will probably always be that voice that tells you “you should have done better.”

• BaileyPup Said:
there will probably always be that voice that tells you "you should have done better."

A voice shouting at me all the time and driving me crazy, you have no idea...

• redo-it-all Said:
  • BaileyPup Said:
there will probably always be that voice that tells you "you should have done better."

I think that is the drone of being a non-trad pre-med right? I hear that voice all the time "you're a failure, you should have done better, you should not have gotten 48 of 50 on a final, you should have gotten 49..." can we surgically remove the voice box of the voice?!?!?!
  • Adoc2be Said:
  • redo-it-all Said:
  • BaileyPup Said:

I think that is the drone of being a non-trad pre-med right? I hear that voice all the time "you're a failure, you should have done better, you should not have gotten 48 of 50 on a final, you should have gotten 49..." can we surgically remove the voice box of the voice?!?!?!

I don't know yet, but I hear the med-school really beats that out of you. It gets to be thank God I passed.

Vandy just went to a pass/fail curriculum for at least the MS1 year (and maybe the MS2 year–I don’t have it right in front of me), and one of the reasons is exactly the thing you’re talking about. The goal is to master the material, and that in and of itself is stressful enough. Students working together, collaboration of the minds, etc., can only help with that endeavor. They are trying to foster an atmosphere of learning–not an atmosphere of cut throat competition. Sure, it will still lurk there… but I think switching to pass/fail can only help.

I’ve heard that ridiculous voice in my head since I was my daughter’s age (she’s 4)…If I haven’t found a way to make it be quiet in 30 years, I’m not sure I ever will. R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S.

Makes me think about the old Phil Hartman character, Stuart Smalley–we need the daily affirmations. “I’m good enough. I’m smart enough. And doggone it, people like me!” heheheh…

• carrieliz Said:
Vandy just went to a pass/fail curriculum for at least the MS1 year (and maybe the MS2 year--I don't have it right in front of me), and one of the reasons is exactly the thing you're talking about. The goal is to master the material, and that in and of itself is stressful enough. Students working together, collaboration of the minds, etc., can only help with that endeavor. They are trying to foster an atmosphere of learning--not an atmosphere of cut throat competition. Sure, it will still lurk there... but I think switching to pass/fail can only help.

This is why an increasing number of medical schools (including mine) either have pass/fail systems or are switching to pass/fail systems. Good patient care is not a game show where the goal is to "win" by outsmarting other doctors, your nurses, etc. In this game, the only "winner" should be the patient.

• carrieliz Said:
Makes me think about the old Phil Hartman character, Stuart Smalley...

Actually, the character of Stuart Smalley was played by Al Franken.