Bio II question?

Hey all…29 with a degree in Information Science…just about to finish my first semester back after working for 5 years…doing pretty well in Physics I, Bio I, and Chem I so far.

I have a question about some “advice” I got from an advisor here at UCF. Since Bio II isn’t required for the pre-med major here, she said that I don’t need to take it…I’ll be OK if I take Anatomy or Genetics later on, and there isn’t much on the MCAT from Bio II. She also said the med schools in Florida know UCF doesn’t require it, and looks at that more advanced coursework. These courses don’t have the same prefix as my Bio I course (though there is a 4000 level Bio course I could take without taking Bio II)

I’ve never heard of that before, and I’d like to apply to schools outside of Florida as well.

So I scheduled Physics II, Chem II, Anatomy, and Medical Terminology (15 credits) for the spring. But I’m thinking I should take Bio II next fall? Thoughts? Thanks ahead of time.

Hi there. I’m also a former IS guy . Most application requirements require 1 year (2 semesters) of BIO at least. Many times, they aren’t very specific as to what that second semester should encompass.

I would check with your biology dept as to what “BIO2” is all about. In the state school I’m currently attending to do my post-bacc work, BIO I was a very conceptual non-technical generic intro to Biology. BIO II, which I’m currently taking, expands upon the BIO I topics but in greater technical detail… and by that I mean some basic biochemistry is introduced. So in my case, it was definitely worthwhile taking the second course in the sequence.

Best of luck.