BioChem

Many schools don’t seem to require BioChem, however it seems to be recomended. I’m curious as to how helpfull it has been to those in med shcool who have taken BioChem. Where you glad you took it? If you didn’t take it, do you wish you did?

Just wondering

MC

i’m not in med school yet, but i found the topics covered in biochem to be useful in the BS section of the MCAT since some of the passages will involve enzymes and protein chemistry and things. also, a few med schools will require 1 qtr/sem of it, so you may as well just cover your bases and take the class.

who knows, u might even enjoy it!

It is VERY helpful.

biochemistry in medical school is mainly concerned with the functions of the body as it relates to disease processes and where the drugs work. However, if you do not have a solid foundation in biochemistry you may find it to be very difficult and struggle with it.

You can do it one of 2 ways. Either take the class officially and have it as part of your transcript. But if you do not do well in this class it can affect your GPA. Or you can audit the class, where you just sit in it and do everything but take the exam and get a grade.

I think it really depends on the school. Our school is somewhat notorious for there not being much correlation between those who do well in biochem in med school and those who took, or did well, in biochem in undergrad. I’d suggest talking with students at the schools in which you’re interested to see what they think. One thing I can say with some confidence, taking the course is not going to hurt you for medical school. I do believe more and more schools are requiring it now.

Thank you very much for the replies. I’m taking it this semester along with Gen. physics I. I hope I haven’t made a mistake in doing both a the same time. LOL!!

M