Biology classes

Hi,
I just started taking pre-reqs (I am repeating some classes because they are too old) this spring. I have never had any biology and it looks like I will take 4 semesters of it as I keep hearing it would be beneficial to take some advanced classes like genetics. It is not clear to me if I will be ready to take MCAT in August. I have been away from school for a while working as a Software Engineer/manager. But now I am on the pre-reqs full time. My goal is to get through the the pre-reqs by Fall or at the latest Winter 2007.

Hi Rianah! Good luck on your goals. My hope is too be finished by Spring 2007. I’m with you!

I don’t see any reason why you wouldn’t be able to meet your goal, genetics isn’t that advanced if you ask me. I covered on that in general biology, and granted it was at the survey level, but if genetics is in the MCAT I doubt it’s at anything more than the survey level anyways since its the MCAT not the Genetics Test. You’ll be fine.

Hi there,
Do not take the MCAT until you have taking the pre-req classes. These classes are one year of General Biology with lab, one year of General Chemistry with lab, one year of Organic Chemistry with lab and one year of General Physics with lab. If you have completed these classes then you can take the August MCAT. If not, do NOT take this exam.
The MCAT is not an exam for practice and multiple attempts with mediocre scores look very bad. I know that in 2007, the MCAT moves to computer-base, but this will have no bearing on the exam itself other than you will have more opportunities in one year to schedule this exam.
Complete your pre-regs (you do not need advanced coursework for MCAT) and do plenty of practice exams (and review if needed). If your pre-req courses are of good quality and you have done well, you should need very little review.
Good luck!
Natalie

I’ve heard lots of people here muse about taking the MCAT prior to completing the prereqs - sometimes they state that they want to try and get their application submitted a year earlier than they would otherwise be able to do. (and yes, I realize that the OP has not specifically stated this)
Aside from the potential hit to your MCAT score, I want to point out that applying to med school with only partial grades from your prereqs is VERY RISKY. I am putting that in bold caps - shouting - on purpose. Your application goes up against applications where the prereqs are completed - with great grades - and good MCAT scores are already attached. Applying with a really minimal portfolio of partially-completed recent grades is just asking to be rejected.
Yes, I know that completing all the prereqs prior to applying means that you’ve got a “glide year.” You can use that year to take more advanced classes that interest you, and/or use that one last chance to earn some money before becoming a poor medical student. In the grand scheme of things, getting an application in a year earlier does NOT make a difference.
Much of the process of applying to medical school is fairly painful - it’s not just the MCAT. Applications, interviews, getting LORs - it’s a lot of stuff to keep track of. As with the MCAT, you DON’T want to have to do it more than once. So when you apply, you want the most complete and stellar application that you can put together.

Let me chime in here in STRONG agreement with Mary and Nat. The MCAT is not an exam you play fast and loose with. Do NOT take it until you are fully prepared, do NOT pre-plan to “just take it again if this time isn’t so good” (make “this time” the best you feel that you can do), do NOT worry about taking it later rather than earlier.
Cheers,
Judy

Quote:

I’ve heard lots of people here muse about taking the MCAT prior to completing the prereqs - sometimes they state that they want to try and get their application submitted a year earlier than they would otherwise be able to do. (and yes, I realize that the OP has not specifically stated this)
Aside from the potential hit to your MCAT score, I want to point out that applying to med school with only partial grades from your prereqs is VERY RISKY. I am putting that in bold caps - shouting - on purpose. Your application goes up against applications where the prereqs are completed - with great grades - and good MCAT scores are already attached. Applying with a really minimal portfolio of partially-completed recent grades is just asking to be rejected.
Yes, I know that completing all the prereqs prior to applying means that you’ve got a “glide year.” You can use that year to take more advanced classes that interest you, and/or use that one last chance to earn some money before becoming a poor medical student. In the grand scheme of things, getting an application in a year earlier does NOT make a difference.
Much of the process of applying to medical school is fairly painful - it’s not just the MCAT. Applications, interviews, getting LORs - it’s a lot of stuff to keep track of. As with the MCAT, you DON’T want to have to do it more than once. So when you apply, you want the most complete and stellar application that you can put together.

Hi Mary,
I was going to work on my non-sciences pre-reqs after MCAT. I will have my sciences done by then. Is this still a bad plan? Should I have all pre-reqs including humanities and English done?
Thanks!

Rianah, I am confused after going back and looking at your original post - I think you have one undergrad degree already? Other than English, what sort of humanities prerequisites are you needing to accomplish? I haven’t seen a listing of med school prereqs that ever included anything except English - so am not sure what you mean when you talk about “non-science prereqs.” I DO think that submitting completed grades for all the science prereqs is definitely the way to go. Does this help?

Mary

(edited from earlier post after I realized I was seriously off base with my first answer)

<<
These classes are one year of General Biology with lab, one year of General Chemistry with lab, one year of Organic Chemistry with lab and one year of General Physics with lab. If you have completed these classes then you can take the August MCAT.
>>
As just an applicant, I’m really nervous about disagreeing with Natalie, but I gotta say my peace, because she has written something here that may really send people astray.
I do not agree that one year of General Biology will prepare one for the Biological Sciences section of the MCAT. In fact, one year of freshman-level biology prepares you for almost NONE of the Biological Sciences section of the MCAT. I scored well ONLY because I took the Princeton Review. It is not that my general biology class lacked information but it was filled with all the wrong information-- all of the botany (this takes up MONTHS of general biology and never shows up on the MCAT), zoology (cleidograms and disputes in taxonomy and such), environmental science, history of Darwinism and geological layers, and extinctions from Biology do not appear up on the MCAT. If you want to score well on the biological sciences section and you do not want to take one of the commercial prep classes, then you MUST take cell and molecular, at least. You have to know transcription and translation (REALLY know them, not the intro level what-is-an-Okizaki-fragment stuff), the basics of recombination (how to punch out and replace genes on E. Coli and the different methods), and you must know the functions of the different membranes and organelles at a very advanced level if you want to succeed. Not the structures and the identities of the organelles, but the BIOCHEMICAL FUNCTIONS of these membranes, what substance binds in the presence of what compound and how the feedback loops work. You have to know enzymatics for real, not just vaguely throw the names Michaelis and Menten into a sentence.
This is just my opinion. It is bad news for those in a hurry. Here’s a piece of good news. You get all the general chemistry, physics, and organic you need in your prereqs. Learn that solidly and you’re cool for the physical sciences section. The MCAT organic chemistry section is easier than any rigorous orgo textbook I’ve seen.

I agree with you there, Matt, about the “extra” stuff in biology. After taking Genetics and now A&P (and A&P II this summer), I think I will be much more comfortable with the bio material. We didn’t even cover organ systems in my intro bio classes! Obviously, most bio majors end up taking A&P anyway, but if you’re just in it for the pre-reqs, sometimes I guess you can’t see the forest for the trees.
I’m not saying that you HAVE to take more than the pre-reqs, but you should definitely keep tabs on what the AAMC lists as MCAT content material and make sure you’ve had a good foundation for those topics. Otherwise, instead of reviewing for the MCAT, you’ll be “learning” for the MCAT.

Matt, have you taken the MCAT yet? Sorry if you’ve posted about it - my memory fails me at the moment.

Yep, Aug. 2005, thank goodness!

Quote:

Rianah, I am confused after going back and looking at your original post - I think you have one undergrad degree already? Other than English, what sort of humanities prerequisites are you needing to accomplish? I haven’t seen a listing of med school prereqs that ever included anything except English - so am not sure what you mean when you talk about “non-science prereqs.” I DO think that submitting completed grades for all the science prereqs is definitely the way to go. Does this help?
Mary
(edited from earlier post after I realized I was seriously off base with my first answer)

Yes, I have two masters (One in Electrical Engg and the other one in Comp. Sci) from US. But I never had to do 4 semesters of humanities (U of Minnesota needs psychology, art, music etc.). while I did do English in my home country, I am not real clear if need to take them again (U of Minnesota needs two semesters of English) since it has been 18 years. This is why I don’t want to rush and waste money before MCAT because i may be able to get by w/o retaking the English or not needing the humanities (some medical schools don’t need these.) I agree that it would be best to repeat the sciences and finish the Biology classes (never had any) before MCAT. I feel that I can do the fluff classes during the glide year.
Thanks!

This is such a complex and unique situation with a lot of variables (foreign degrees, humanities requirements, etc.) I think probably only Minnesota themselves can give you a definitive answer. Give their Admissions Office an email, I think you’ll pleasantly surprised how quickly and thoroughly they respond.
Lord, I’m ladling out the advice tonight… did I eat something funny at dinner? If I get rejected everywhere this spring, you all may take that into account when reading my musings! [BLACK HUMOR HERE]

I guess that it would be prudent for all those prepping for the MCAt to check out the aamc website and look at the testable topics for the biological sciences this is very clearly written somewhere under the MCAT heading at aamc.org. I guess different schools teach their general biology differently…I know that at my school the intro level FOR pre-professional degree seeking folks (not the baby bio for other majors) was quite rigorous and plenty for the MCAT. So be forewarned and make SURE that what you covered is enough for the MCAT.

Awesome!

I’ve noticed as I flip through the MSAR, that most med schools require the English and/or Huamities/Social Science in addition to the basic 4 science pre-reqs. YOu are right that U -MN requires all those extra classes per MSAR.
I don’t know that you would have to do 4 semesters of humanities - you could fit it all into 2 semesters. But taking them during your glide year sounds like a good idea.

My experience is the same as efex’s in general. At my university, the general biology class is sufficient preparation for the cellular/molecular bio covered on the MCAT. What you may need to do is take a physiology course, however. I learned all of that physiology from Kaplan, not from my freshman biology course. I don’t think it’s always necessary to take a course if you are disciplined enough to study these topics on your own, but probably a course (either through your university or a test-prep course) is the best way to go for most people.

Quote:

I do not agree that one year of General Biology will prepare one for the Biological Sciences section of the MCAT. In fact, one year of freshman-level biology prepares you for almost NONE of the Biological Sciences section of the MCAT. I scored well ONLY because I took the Princeton Review. It is not that my general biology class lacked information but it was filled with all the wrong information-- all of the botany (this takes up MONTHS of general biology and never shows up on the MCAT), zoology (cleidograms and disputes in taxonomy and such), environmental science, history of Darwinism and geological layers, and extinctions from Biology do not appear up on the MCAT. If you want to score well on the biological sciences section and you do not want to take one of the commercial prep classes, then you MUST take cell and molecular, at least. You have to know transcription and translation (REALLY know them, not the intro level what-is-an-Okizaki-fragment stuff), the basics of recombination (how to punch out and replace genes on E. Coli and the different methods), and you must know the functions of the different membranes and organelles at a very advanced level if you want to succeed. Not the structures and the identities of the organelles, but the BIOCHEMICAL FUNCTIONS of these membranes, what substance binds in the presence of what compound and how the feedback loops work. You have to know enzymatics for real, not just vaguely throw the names Michaelis and Menten into a sentence.
This is just my opinion. It is bad news for those in a hurry. Here’s a piece of good news. You get all the general chemistry, physics, and organic you need in your prereqs. Learn that solidly and you’re cool for the physical sciences section. The MCAT organic chemistry section is easier than any rigorous orgo textbook I’ve seen.

Hi there,
I taught General Biology for Science majors at GWU for two years. This course more than prepares a student for the MCAT level biological sciences. If your General Biology course was not rigorous enough, then your school provided you will less than your money’s worth. I assure you that at $700+ per credit hour, my course was very comprehensive and very difficult for most freshman students. There were also many chemistry pre-med majors that never took another biology course above General Biology for Science majors who did quite well on the MCAT.
Natalie

I think obviously it really depends on where you go. My school has only one intro level bio course, and as far as the MCAT goes, (Im studying right now) the first semester was almost a complete waste, but the second semester covered cells and molecules pretty well. I agree with QofQuimica that it is the physiology component that is often lacking, so Im am tackling that material on my own. This is one of the reasons why Im now leaning towards the Aug MCAT, there is some material I need to LEARN, in addition to the material that I need to review.