Biology, summertime Ochem, the order of things

Two questions:
1) Does it matter what order one takes their prereqs?
I’m trying to arrange my Fall schedule. I am planning on taking calculus I and general chemistry I for starters. These classes are repeats of similar classes I took 22 years ago. Because I’m an extension student, I get lowest priority in registering for classes, which means that I may not be able to get the chemistry class. (The math professor has promised me space in her class based on my grade in precalculus – I’m taking precalculus now.)
If I don’t get into the chemistry class here or anywhere locally, I thought about taking Biology I. However, I was under the impression that Biology should be taken after Ochem or at least after taking Chemistry I. I understand that one of the reasons for taking classes in sequence is that many earlier classes are prerequisites for later classes, or build a foundation for later classes. I also read statements on several websites (e.g. SUNY Stony Brook premed website) declaring that AdComms expect basic classes to be taken in proper order.
Are there problems with taking courses “out of sequence?”
2) Summer Ochem?
It is well-documented that summer classes are “pure hell” and one never fully masters the material before new material is pushed onto them. The pace of summer classes is just too fast. Also, apparently some med schools give lesser weight to classes taken during the summer (or at community colleges). If I do finish both general chemistry courses by next Spring, I thought about signing up for Ochem during the summer.
Is it wise to taken Orgo during the summer?
From a timing perspective, it would be ideal. I’m currently applying for a second bachelor’s degree to start in Fall 2006. The dean recommended that I finish as much basic sciences as possible before embarking on higher level work.

Hi there,

General Biology may be taken at any time. It does not have to follow either General Chemistry or Organic Chemistry. Most pre-meds take General Biology as a first course along with General Chemistry.

The order that you take your courses does not matter except that it is very advisable to take Organic Chemistry after completing General Chemistry. If you math is good, you can take General Physics at the same time that you are taking General Chemistry but beware that both of these courses are very problem heavy. Again, most pre-med students will take Organic Chemistry and General Physics at the same time.

Since you are a non-degree student, you can take your courses in almost any time frame. If your math is shaky, I would strongly advise getting your math up to speed before General Chemistry or General Physics. General Biology has no math requirement so you could start out with that course.

You do not have to hurry getting your pre-med required courses done. Take your time and do well. A solid GPA along with an excellent MCAT grade will serve you much better than trying to front-load or back-load coursework.Even if you are contemplating a second degree, do not allow your Dean to push you into too much coursework at one time especially if you are working. Since you took courses 22 years ago, you especially want to ease into the demands and do very, very well. As you get some successes under your belt, take on more courses.

Admissions committees realize that non-traditional students have employment obligations and family obligations in addition to attending classes. You are not going to be penalized for not taking a full courseload in addition to employment.

Also, you need to leave plenty of time to review and practice for MCAT. Take your time and do not worry about the order of courses except for the above.

Natalie

Oranic in the summer? - I’ve just got done with mine! And yes - it’s really hard and demanding class…but after all I really think I learnt a lot! Maybe even more than in Gen-chem, which I took druing regular semesters. If you’re commited to studying and doing well, I don’t see any reason why you’d learn less druing the summer,vs. fall and spring semesters. The good thing about taking Organic in the summer is, that it’s your only class, and you can devote your full attention to only this class. But…be ready to have absolutelly no fun this summer But it’s doable!!! And now after all, I’m really happy I took this class in the summer!

At my post-bacc school, the basic bio course you had to take before taking any other bio courses was cell biology and it really actually included a lot of chemistry. I was glad that I’d had my first semester of gen-chem prior to taking the class. That said, I suspect I would’ve been OK and I’ve yet to hear of anyone else encountering the same schedule.
It’s interesting to hear of a med school actually insisting on a certain sequence for your prereqs. I believe it, because each school seems to feel compelled to have at least one little oddity to their application process, but it strikes me as really silly and unnecessary. Just take the courses and do well in 'em and no one will care what the sequence was.
Mary

Kasia,
Did you take the equivalent of both semesters of Orgo during the summer or just one semester? Initially, I was considering taking both semesters, back to back, during the summer. Now, however, I may ease up on my schedule. I don’t want to rush my work and do poorly.

Quote:

Two questions:
1) Does it matter what order one takes their prereqs?
I’m trying to arrange my Fall schedule. I am planning on taking calculus I and general chemistry I for starters. These classes are repeats of similar classes I took 22 years ago. Because I’m an extension student, I get lowest priority in registering for classes, which means that I may not be able to get the chemistry class. (The math professor has promised me space in her class based on my grade in precalculus – I’m taking precalculus now.)
If I don’t get into the chemistry class here or anywhere locally, I thought about taking Biology I. However, I was under the impression that Biology should be taken after Ochem or at least after taking Chemistry I. I understand that one of the reasons for taking classes in sequence is that many earlier classes are prerequisites for later classes, or build a foundation for later classes. I also read statements on several websites (e.g. SUNY Stony Brook premed website) declaring that AdComms expect basic classes to be taken in proper order.
Are there problems with taking courses “out of sequence?”
2) Summer Ochem?
It is well-documented that summer classes are “pure hell” and one never fully masters the material before new material is pushed onto them. The pace of summer classes is just too fast. Also, apparently some med schools give lesser weight to classes taken during the summer (or at community colleges). If I do finish both general chemistry courses by next Spring, I thought about signing up for Ochem during the summer.
Is it wise to taken Orgo during the summer?
From a timing perspective, it would be ideal. I’m currently applying for a second bachelor’s degree to start in Fall 2006. The dean recommended that I finish as much basic sciences as possible before embarking on higher level work.

I see some excellent advice here I would just chime in and say don’t worry about sequence as much as doing well.
Hang in there!

I took both semester, back to back…with basically only a weekend off in between. And yeah - it was a lot of work. I know, however, that it was worth, and I really feel that I mastered the material. It worked really good for me. I just didn’t want to take Organic together with Physics, so it was the only possibility for me, if I wanted to take MCAT next April…I don’t know if you’ve ever taken summer classes before? It was my first time, and I was really afraid at he beginning that maybe I wouldn’t be able to keep up with everything, when the pace was so fast, and that I wouldn’t actually learn anything, but fortunatelly it worked for me.

Did you work full time AND take both semesters of O-Chem over the summer? Maybe it’s possible and proven as Kasia has pointed out, but I wouldn’t advise it. Organic Chemistry is a unique beast. Everyone has a different experience with it, and almost all can agree at varying degrees that it is one of more difficult prereq requirements. Given that, I wouldn’t take it lightly. I worked really hard to get my O-Chem grades, and I took them in the evening during regular semesters while working full time. My main focus was on getting the best possible grade. As has been said on here before, it’s best to focus on getting the best grade and learning the material. No need to be in a hurry at all.
Nevertheless, good luck with what path you decide!

oooops! - I forgot to mention that I didn’t work at that time. The only thing I did this summer was Orgo I and II + corresponding labs. I guess this explains a lot