Biology Text for reviewing

Way back at the second edition, I had Raven and Johnson for my General Biology text book. The 2nd ed. of “Biology” by Raven and Johnson had bold type summary statements after each concept section.
When I was teaching general bio, I used two different text books - neither of which included the concept summary. So, when I would prepare for class, I would always review my Raven and Johnson text. When I was reviewing for the MCAT, this book was great for review and overview. I still have my 2nd ed, but was curious if anyone was familiar with more recent editions by these two. Most importantly, do they still have the bold type summaries?
Are there any other general biology texts out there that have the concept summary included in the text?
– Rachel

I don’t know this book, but has anyone used Alberts et.al. Molecular Biology of the Cell to review the organic, biochem and biology for the mcat? It has very nice summaries throughout and some sections set off with key material (structures, reactions, processes etc…). Most of the material is probably too detailed but…
Also - is the chemistry on the mcat mostly actually biochem?

Laramisa the chemistry in the MCAT is either inorganic general chemistry, and organic chemistry. There may be a few (two or three) questions that are biochem related but not much. Have you purchased the AAMC practice tests? If not that will be a good investement for the tests are compiled from real MCAT exams. It will give you a good idea of what the MCAT will be like.

<!–QuoteBegin–Laramisa+July 14 2002 7:24 am–>

Quote (Laramisa @ July 14 2002 7:24 am)
… but has anyone used Alberts et.al. Molecular Biology of the Cell to review the organic, biochem and biology for the mcat?

Alberts 3rd ed Molecular Biology of the Cell was the book of choice for grad and med students at my university. Digression: recently I was playing around with an old MCAT practice test and I totally missed a question on G-protein coupled receptors because I over analyzed the question. In my opinion, it is too detailed for a general biology overview. However, if it is an available option, it will be a great book. Just try to remember the detail given in this book far exceeds what will be tested on the MCAT.
If you are looking for a general biology review, there are a number of websites that have course outlines and general information. I may cruise over to one of my local uni bookstores to see if Raven and Johnson’s new Biology text is available. My 2nd ed. is awesome, but before I recommend the newer edition I’d like to see the layout.
For a genetics review, I really loved the Cartoon Guide to Genetics.
I got the review books from Exam Krackers - I really like the physics and organic chemistry review books.
– Rachel

Hi-
Thanks. I also ordered ExamKrackers but am waiting for it to get here and was looking for review books to use in the meantime. I also got the Kaplan online review course but it doesn't have written materials to use when you aren't sitting at the computer (and as far as I can figure out so far you can't print the materials in a reasonable format, which is really annoying considering the price of the course).
I'm not living in the US right now so it's difficult to find english books on science. The only place locally is the med school book store. I went to look for some recent books that would be good for reviewing and everything was too detailed - more first year med school basic science. I will try to just stick to the Alberts summaries and not get bogged down in the detail. The original version is the last bio text I used in grad school so at least it's familiar.

I tried to order the AMCAS practice tests off the web site several times but they don't accept AMEX credit cards, the only one I have right now (only VISA and MC) I tried to write them an email but they don't respond, so maybe I should call them. Is there any other way to get these (e.g. by downloading off the web?) I was also planning to do the Kaplan on-line test at the end of this week, when I should have finished reviewing everything. Are the Kaplan practice tests and the Examkrackers good reflections of what's on the AMCAS versions, or do I really need to do these too.

I tried to order the AMCAS practice tests off the web site several times but they don't accept AMEX credit cards, the only one I have right now (only VISA and MC) I tried to write them an email but they don't respond, so maybe I should call them. Is there any other way to get these (e.g. by downloading off the web?) I was also planning to do the Kaplan on-line test at the end of this week, when I should have finished reviewing everything, to see what I need to focus the rest of the time on
. Are the Kaplan practice tests and the Examkrackers good reflections of what's on the AMCAS versions, or does it really make a difference to do these too?

Hi Duck!
I'm familiar with Raven & Johnson. I just took General Biology this past spring semester; and that's the book the university used to teach Bio. Yes, it still has the bold summary statements at the end. However, my microbio prof recommended the Campbell Biology textbook. I noticed that it was more in depth and the writing was much better.
— Clara

Quote (divynls @ Aug. 05 2002 12:01 pm)
Hi Duck!
I'm familiar with Raven & Johnson. I just took General Biology this past spring semester; and that's the book the university used to teach Bio. Yes, it still has the bold summary statements at the end. However, my microbio prof recommended the Campbell Biology textbook. I noticed that it was more in depth and the writing was much better.
--- Clara

Hi there,
I am going to put in a vote for Campbell. It is well-written and covers all topics well. Beware of getting in too deep in your study though! Unless you had a very weak General Biology course, you don't need to use a text for review. You can use the text for reference and use the review books for review.
Nat
I am reviewing for the ABSITE and I haven't opened Sabiston's once. Too much detail for me at this point. :cool:

I like Campbell's for general review of concepts, but I wouldn't use a text at all for primary MCAT review - use an MCAT review book and if you have still have questions that requiree more info, use a text - Vander's physiology is good for physio questions. As far as MBOC, I liked Alberts (MBOC) and Stryer's (BIOCHEM) as textbooks but think they would be too deep for review unless there was one diagram that really clarified things for you.l

Quote (divynls @ Aug. 05 2002 1:01 pm)
Hi Duck!
--- Clara

Hey Clara,
Thanks for letting me know Raven and Johnson still have the bold type summaries. I love that. When I was teaching Biology, the course was taught from Campbell's, but I would refer to my Raven and Johnson to help me outline a lecture. I also found Campbell's to be a better overall General Biology text, but for an overview or review, I would strongly suggest Raven and Johnson's text -- with those bold summary statements.
My support of Raven and Johnson is not based only on my experience. Please allow me to digress a moment. My older sister has been a Med Tech for many years - at first holding a two year degree, now she has a B.S. Anyway, she had to take one year of General Biology, one year of General Chemistry and a few other classes while trying to work full-time. I talked her in to trying to test out of Gen Bio, even though she hadn't had a Biology class in 9 years. By reviewing from my Raven and Johnson, she was able to test out of General Biology. I will admit, and I may be biased, my older sister is the smartest person I know. Her genius aside, I think the bold type study of concepts is what helped her CLEP out of Biology.
So, if ever asked for a Biology text to use for MCAT review, I will strongly suggest Raven and Johnson - with all those bold summary statements.
-- Rachel