Biomed Research vs Practicing Medicine

Hello. I’m new to the forums. Age: 39, BA in Communications, with no science coursework on my transcript.*

I’ve thought at various times of pursuing MD, PA, OT and NP degrees. Now, I am focused on actual biomedical research. I’m only in the beginning inquiry stages.

The prereqs for a biomed grad program seem to be the same as for medical school.

I’ve noticed that some of you in your premedical school work flirted with straight science (as opposed to crooked clinical? ) work. I am curious how I can become exposed (bad pun for a biomed Q?) to this kind of work. I’ve shadowed some OT’s and a nurse. I’m not sure how to go about shadowing a research scientist in a science lab. I was just wondering what advice I might find from some who have walked this path before me.

I have talked to my state research university and met with some academic advisors. However, as much as I think I will love studying the science (as I so did in high school when I gobbled up every science course available), I don’t know if I will enjoy the lab work as much as I think I would direct patient care.

• I mention I have no science on my transcript but I took two upper-level Bio classes in college (I tested out of Bio I with my AP score.) An unethical experiment drove me away from science and into the Humanities and I dropped the classes from my transcript. Talking with a friend who is a Bio PhD has helped reignite the interest in science. I like the idea of patient care but after being in dead-end customer service, admin jobs for so long, I wonder if I am not burned out on being “on” with people all the time. I would like to get into a career that has meaning for me, creates a benefit in the world, and allows me to use my brain once in a while. Like medicine, healthcare or biomed research.

I know that I do not fit the “traditional” OldPreMed mold of a nontraditional student since I seem to be poised toward research and not practicing medicine, but I have not found another forum or place on the web for older potential science students. I’ve read a lot here the past few days and everyone is so supportive and amazing in what they’ve accomplished. I already feel less “FUD” (see? I’m learning the lingo!) and more confidence that I can make this happen… if I want it.

Thanks all,

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

I also have a communications background (a degree in journalism, to be more specific). So you’re not alone.

First of all, you are most definitely right that it is a good idea to shadow/get work experience in the field before leaping into some sort of school program. You mention you have a friend who is has a PhD in biology – can you spend some time with them (if they work in the lab)? If not, perhaps they know of someone you could shadow. Getting into the research field is very much about networking, and so that would be a good place to start.

I will tell you that from personal experience, I think you will learn very quickly whether you like the lab work. I worked in a university research lab last summer and absolutely LOVED it (which was honestly a surprise to me, albeit a pleasant one). A side note – I actually got hooked up with this lab through a physician I know, so that’s another avenue to pursue.

Second of all, you don’t have to divorce research from clinical medicine. I am very interested in both, and plan to do both in the future. Medical doctors can (and often do) do research, and not just clinical research. In addition, there are MD/PhD programs that allow you to get both degrees, although those programs are extremely competitive and, from what I hear, extremely arduous.

Since you are clearly interested in some sort of science/medical-related field, I would encourage you to keep your options open at this point. Continue to shadow, both research scientists and medical practitioners. Find your niche. And then go for it.

Best wishes to you!

Thanks for the reply, Terra. You were one of the people whose posts (and OPM Diary and personal blog) I’ve read the past few days; I was hoping you would reply. Hello!

What is it about the lab work and the idea of research that you like the most? What do you like the least? Do you think research is as open to nontraditional folks like us as the healthcare industry seems to be?

I have asked my Bio PhD friend for advice and she’s been very helpful. I’ve also thought of pursuing a MD/PhD; however, that decision will be made much further down the road.

I guess the “young’uns” who make these decisions to become MD’s or PhD’s or Communications professionals do so without always knowing if it’s right for them. Being older, though, I am not as willing to take a blind chance and jump in without doing some serious research first. I wouldn’t buy a pair of pants without trying them on first, so why would I buy a(nother) education without trying it on first?

Hi Maggie,

Just sent you a PM.

• subgenre Said:
I would like to get into a career that has meaning for me, creates a benefit in the world, and allows me to use my brain once in a while. Like medicine, healthcare or biomed research.

I've been doing research of one sort or another since 1988 and if a meaningful career is what you seek, I'd say do NOT go for a PhD for that reason unless your focus is going to be on primariily teaching at the university level. A research career is full to the rim of variables that many times have NOTHING to to do with how good you are, how many pubs you have, and your RO1 status.

I could write a book on what I've seen over the years, but the recent knowledge that an absolute "superstar" MD/PhD didn't get the tenure he earned at a federal agency has really taken the wind out of my sail so to speak.

So while I'm still on the MD/PhD path myself, I'm a hellva lot more cynical about the real "difference" I'll make in my research career given how thick the BS seems to be in research environments.

I also think it's not wise to pursue a PhD without also earning a "clinical" doctorate ie DVM, PharmD, DO based on the job market alone.
  • pathdr2b Said:
  • subgenre Said:
I would like to get into a career that has meaning for me, creates a benefit in the world, and allows me to use my brain once in a while. Like medicine, healthcare or biomed research.

I've been doing research of one sort or another since 1988 and if a meaningful career is what you seek, I'd say do NOT go for a PhD for that reason unless your focus is going to be on primariily teaching at the university level. A research career is full to the rim of variables that many times have NOTHING to to do with how good you are, how many pubs you have, and your RO1 status.

I could write a book on what I've seen over the years, but the recent knowledge that an absolute "superstar" MD/PhD didn't get the tenure he earned at a federal agency has really taken the wind out of my sail so to speak.

So while I'm still on the MD/PhD path myself, I'm a hellva lot more cynical about the real "difference" I'll make in my research career given how thick the BS seems to be in research environments.

I also think it's not wise to pursue a PhD without also earning a "clinical" doctorate ie DVM, PharmD, DO based on the job market alone.

That is an insightful and practical post. What are your views on the difference, intensity, life impact, etc of the education/training of a physician versus a PhD