Biomedicl Engineer undergrad.

First off I just want to congratulate OldPreMeds and the respective proprietors for running an intuitive and very helpful site. Also everyone considering or are currently pursuing Med School should give themselves a pat on the back.

A little bit about me, I’m a Biomedical Engineering major here at UH. I’m 25 years old and try my hand at my own IT consulting business before deciding to finish college and pursue a career in medicine. As it stands I don’t have many questions because I’ve done quite a bit of independent research and a gentleman whom I consider my brother has just assumed a partnership at as cardiologist at a organization here in Houston. I would say that I’m a non-traditional student because I’ve waited until I was 25 to pursue this. (Better late than never). My story is all too common so I won’t bother you guys any more. Just a quick question regarding employment while in med school. How many of you currently practicing were able to hold down a full-time job? I have a fellow car club member who worked at the sherrifs office from 11pm-7am while attending and somehow made it through. Would you advise this to someone who does not come from a wealthy background?

From what I’ve read and heard, holding down a job, even part time, while you’re in med school is very difficult and not advisable. This primarily stems from the amount of work and effort required to get through med school.

Also, typically, once you’ve been admitted to med school, federal, or private loans are usually sufficient financial support to get through school.