Block scheduling and family

I now have an acceptance at a school that does true block scheduling: about 10 weeks per block with one week off. There is exactly 1 month off between first and second year. I had been interested in PBL but I know that I can intellectually handle the block scheduling too. I only applied schools in areas where my partner could work and the schools where I got an acceptance do not have PBL.

My concern is how this will impact my ability to spend any time with my child who will be 2 years old when I start. This school has mandatory class attendance. I do realize though that my child will not be in school yet so I can take him out of daycare to spend a few days with him during the week off. I have a very supportive spouse who will have a (fairly) flexible work schedule.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I am not sure how your block scheduling works, but I know at one of the schools I applied to (Univ of KY) thier block scheduling seems very family friendly. They have 2 classes per block, but their days are pretty much 8-12 and they have the rest of the day off.

Sorry that I didn’t include more detail. I’ll be in class from around 8-5 pm. I just looked at Gabe’s presentation from the conference in June and I wonder if he had a similar schedule. Tests are scheduled for Monday/Tuesday so (from what I have heard) every weekend is spent studying. I do realize that it will be difficult no matter what though. I felt nervous after speaking to some of the rising first years at this school.

Personally, I would avoid a school that has mandatory attendance, especially with a family (and with classes from 8-5!!!) I think that’s a bit overkill. A great many schools now offer their lectures via podcast so if you don’t learn best in lecture, or something comes up, you can listen to the podcast later.

You’re right, it will be difficult no matter what, but listen to your gut reaction. Oh - and there’s a lot to be said for having exams on a Friday so that you can relax for a weekend before starting on the next round of new material.