Books for medical school

Well, it’s 10 weeks until school starts and I’m on the hunt for books. I’m wondering which books you all thought were really great to have first year. I know we’ll get a list once I start school, but I figured I could look for some of the “standards” (like Netters? and others) on half.com or ebay.
I’ve seen people recommend studying from board review books and some others. I couldn’t find the posts though. Help?
Thanks!

I waited until almost the end of the year before buying the Rohen photographic anatomy atlas. On the one hand, I really wish I hadn’t waited as long. On the other hand, at least now I can appreciate the beauty of the dissections (strange as that sounds, you’ll find out what I mean.)
I also found the Lippincott Biochem review book to be good as well as the Blumenfeld neuroanatomy text.
All that said, I would advise against splurging on books at this point. For one thing you’ll be tempted to ruin a perfectly good summer by “getting a jump on things.” For another, you’ll find that between your syllabus, your second-year mentor and your school library, you’ll probably get away without buying many books at all.
(But I’m keeping my Rohen!)
Good luck and enjoy this summer.

I promise - I won’t be tempted to study this summer! I’m going to be home with my kids, so I don’t have time. smile.gif
I’m actually trying to minimize the money I spend on books. If I start looking now, I might be able to find them cheap. I don’t really plan to buy a lot of books if I don’t have to. I’m not one who really learns by reading the textbook if I can avoid it!
Thanks for the input wfredette! I appreciate advice, especially from those who have been there/done that!
Pam

Rohen is strangely beautiful, horrifying, incredible. I would save it, however, for until you start anatomy. It is only then that you can appreciate and use it. However, if you see it offered cheaply–the Fifth Edition is current, I think, and includes some MRI and CT scan images–definitely buy it. Just don't look at it!
Ditto Alberts Molecular Biology of the Cell which is a massive and beautiful reference. For your actual classes, review books may be more useful, but the Alberts will fill in many gaps in basic science. Make sure to get the most recent; it is silver in color and has a Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band illustration on back.
Each school seems to have different preferences about texts, and different texts work for different teaching approaches. So I'd mostly hold off if I were you. Also there will be 2nd years trying to sell you their books throughout the year, so more deals will be available when you get to school.
best regards
joe

QUOTE (spacecadet @ May 19 2003, 05:49 PM)
Well, it's 10 weeks until school starts and I'm on the hunt for books. I'm wondering which books you all thought were really great to have first year. I know we'll get a list once I start school, but I figured I could look for some of the "standards" (like Netters? and others) on half.com or ebay.
I've seen people recommend studying from board review books and some others. I couldn't find the posts though. Help?
Thanks!

Hey Pam,
Try to resist the temptation to buy books at this point. I know that it's hard but try to resist. smile.gif When school starts, you might be able to pick up loads of good stuff from the second year students who are just aching to unload stuff cheap. The Rohen/Yokochi atlas is nice. Netter's is nice too but you can wait on that. Summer reading? War and Peace rolleyes.gif
Natalie

I second this advice for several reasons. First of course you hold onto your money for a bit longer. I got a “book” detailing our first year courses, including the recommended texts, and totally freaked to see that the books added up to >$800. I ended up getting everything i needed for about $150.
The other thing is, the second-year (or third- or fourth-year) book sale will feature live sales associates - your med school colleagues - who will help you pick out books that are particularly helpful for your school.
I would recommend purchasing your own copy of First Aid for the USMLE Step 1. If you buy used, you’ll want to be assured that it isn’t marked up. (I wrote all over my copy.) It’s paperback and not that expensive, but it’s a really handy review tool for your courses.
So hang in there awhile longer, Pam, and enjoy your summer!
and speaking of reading…
30 days til Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, woo-hooo!