Bringing up old stuff...

I’m sure this question has been asked and answered billions of times, but… What if I take my pre-reqs at a community college (night school is my only option)? Does that mean my chance of getting into med school is decreased? I already have a MS in occupational therapy from a medical university (in SC). But I can’t afford to work part time while I get my pre-reqs. I really WANT everyone to tell me that as long as I do well in my classes and on the MCAT it doesn’t matter, but I really NEED to hear the truth from those who know. Thanks.
Ashley

I took all my pre-reqs at community college - before, during and after my BA. I’m now a first year med student who got accepted to several medical schools.
So, it’s ok, really.
BUT: You MUST do VERY well there. Plan on getting A’s. Beware that some med schools have limitations on how many credits you can take at community college. (I remember one of the KY schools has such a policy, but I didn’t apply to any of those.) In interviews, I was asked why I took pre-reqs at CC and when I told them schedule flexibility and money they gave me knowing nods and seemed well-satisfied with that answer.
If you’d like the longer version, you can check out my website.

there are schools that aren’t keen on CC credits - or may outright say they don’t accept them. However, they won’t SAY this anywhere on their websites or in their literature, or in their blurb in the AAMC guide - you’ll have to call them individually. I know someone who wasn’t told that Duke frowns on CC credits until after she sent the secondary (AND MONEY, of course).
Does it hurt your chances? Well, it may slightly diminish the number of schools to which you apply, so in that sense, yes it could. But under the circumstances you describe, I think you’re doing the right thing and the advice to get As and do well on the MCAT is your best bet.
Mary

I know first hand that you can get in with CC classes. The gentleman I know not only took his pre-reqs at a CC but also took ONE class per semester for around 3 years…His MCAT’s weren’t stellar, ~mid 20’s, 3.75GPA and prereqs at a CC. He got in after three years of applying. The difference was the research he became involved in and he took a biochem course at a university to “prove” he could handle the science load. I’m not sure how taking 1 upper level science course proves anything but that seemed to be the consensus with the schools he applied to. He’s in his last year of medical school. There’s another 2 gentleman in the same boat as he, in that they are taking their pre-reqs at CC and aren’t batting an eye about it.
He did tell me of a classmate who interviewed somewhere and the interviewer asked her why she took her prereqs at a CC? She responded with the fact that she wanted the attention they could provide as well as the cost. She pointed out the fact that she got a 4.0. Interviewers response? “Yeah but it was at a CC so who cares!” She reported him and he is no longer an interviewer and she was accepted to another medical school.
So…is it possible to get accepted? Yes
Will it limit where you can go? Yes
Is this fact advertised? No
Best bet? Call the schools you’d like to apply to and find out. They will tell you. If possible go there in person and ask. Get to know the people and see their body language when you ask. Sometimes a “yes…of course we accept CC courses…” is more like “yes, we’ll accept your money but there’s no chance you’ll get in here…”

I attended a CC and if you look up my old posts, you’ll find lots of my comments on this subject. Right now I have a handful of interview invitations. It’s also possible the interviews I haven’t gotten yet are because of the CC.

If I’m asked why I attended a CC during an interview, I’m just going to say I got a great education there and appreciated the flexibility (although since my life revolved around school, I don’t know if they’ll believe this). I did go and take 3 upper level science classes at a university, so I’ve got some grounds for comparison. I don’t think I’m going to say anything about how at the community college, the teaching was way better and the students were more diverse, and acted less like they were entitled to straight A’s, which is what the students at the four year U I attended often acted like, even though all those things are true. I don’t want to say anything controversial in an interview. I’ll just defend the education and no more.

So what I’m saying is, take everyone’s advice and think about it, and then decide whether you want to go against the grain. There is prejudice out there, but there is fairness too. However, if you attend a known 4-year school, most likely no one will question you.