BS in Interdisciplinary Studies?

Fall 2011 I will be transferring to a state university from a community college. I have a 4.0 and 40 credits to transfer with, the majority of which are from Psych, Communications and English.

My plan is this: To transfer to IUPUI and knock out my required science classes for med-school but then I still have to choose a major. Like at most universities, pre-med isn’t offered as a major; So, I noticed that a BS in Interdisciplinary Studies is available through the school of science. I am immensely excited about this prospect, for it sounds like the perfect major for me since I’m quite disciplined, creative, independent and have so many educational/personal interests.

My Question is this: Is anyone familiar with this degree? Would a degree like this stand out among those of the other med-school applicants or will it just give the impression that I was indecisive? Might I add, apparently every step in the achievement of this degree is monitored very closely by an academic adviser and a mentor. You also have to meet numerous qualifications before being granted permission to pursue the degree; so it appears, from the start, it’s not, excuse my pun, a BullShit degree. I’m just genuinely concerned if the 128 credits the degree requires are worth it just to “maybe” get into med school or would it be in my better interest to pursue a BS in Biology?

I don’t know about a specific major. But my opinion (like spoxjox would say, is worth what you paid for it), is the following:

1- do what you like

2- if you can maintain your GPA after you have taken the core science classes, then your chances to go Med School will be high (unless you screw up the MCAT, but you can retake it).

To my knowledge, there is no better major to go to med school. It would best, during an interview to explain that you did the BS in interdisciplinary because of the reasons that you mention, rather than to say “I did a BS in Bio like most premeds to increase my chances”.

• In reply to:
I don't know about a specific major. But my opinion (like spoxjox would say, is worth what you paid for it), is the following:

1- do what you like

2- if you can maintain your GPA after you have taken the core science classes, then your chances to go Med School will be high (unless you screw up the MCAT, but you can retake it).

To my knowledge, there is no better major to go to med school. It would best, during an interview to explain that you did the BS in interdisciplinary because of the reasons that you mention, rather than to say "I did a BS in Bio like most premeds to increase my chances".

In response to:

1) This sounds like what I like

2)I certainly plan on and know I can maintain my 4.0

3)I thought this sounded like the perfect major too, well at least for med school!

Thanks for your opinion hun, it's helped me sort through the pros and cons!

No problem. You will never be better than when you do what you like.

Just enjoy the ride, be happy and I am sure that your plan will just look great in the eyes of the adcom.

I agree with redo-it-all. An interdisciplinary degree will not adversely affect your chances for admission as long as you do well with core science and the MCAT. Your committment to pursuing medicine will not be called into question when you start applying; you took a non-traditional path to get here, which speaks for itself. You’re off to a great start – keep it up and you can write your own ticket.