Building DIY postbacc schedule

Hi there! I’m a nontrad postbacc student that graduated with a 3.8 GPA in business at Georgia Tech. After a couple years working in the software industry, I finally decided to pull the trigger and go back to school to pursue what I’ve always wanted to do. I’m currently in classes at the community college here in Austin, Texas taking Bio 1, Chem 1, and Physics 1. This worked better for me financially than an official postbacc program, and enabled me to work as a PCT at the hospital downtown.

My question is this: What classes are mandatory and which are recommended? In my research, I’ve found medical schools require 8hrs of both Bio and Chem and 8hrs of Orgo (2 semesters). and SOME require 8hrs total of Physics. Some, additionally, require bio chem and genetics as mandatory classes. Which ones should I take? My tentative plan is to complete this spring semester of the entry level courses, take Chem 2 and Phys 2 in the summer, and in the fall take Orgo 1 and Bio 2 and maybe an elective? I’m not sure. All recs welcome!

Thanks in advance!!

Hi! I’m also in Texas, doing a DIY postbac through community college. After researching this question this is my list of “standard” required prerequisites (not all schools have all of these, but many do, so I’m trying to take them all):

• Bio 1 and 2 +lab
  • Chem 1 and 2 +lab
  • Orgo 1 and 2 +lab
  • Physics 1 and 2 +lab
  • Statistics
  • Calculus (many schools ask for 1 semester but keep in mind Physics 2 often requires Calc 2)
  • Biochem (1 semester)
  • Genetics (optional, look at the requirements of the schools you’re interested in)

Also, I’m wondering where you’re planning to take Biochem? For some reason just a regular biochem class is really hard to find at Texas schools, from searching class schedules!

Super helpful! Thanks skaran! I already have Calculus and Statistics on my Undergrad transcript, so I assume that means I don’t have to take those again. Am I right in thinking this?

Also, for biochem I am not sure yet. I haven’t gotten that far but it looks like UT Austin has a few options for Biochem, however they’re restricted to biochem majors. I’m really not sure what that will look like trying to just take one class at UT Austin.

You all are brave. I was told several times to avoid community colleges i.e. DIY PostBacc because it signals a lack of seriousness / commitment (i.e. drop everything and get into school / debt) to studies.
@maryelizanich have you contacted any of the admissions offices of the schools you’re looking at? I’m told it’s quite common that they’ll let you talk with Advising, who will give you pointers.
I’ve only talked to two schools, so I can’t speak generally. :slight_smile:

To our original question, I think you’ve got things lined up for the most part. The details that @skaran align with everything I’ve seen. I often check against these prestigious schools share for free. The list that I generated is as follows:

• 2 years of chemistry with labs
    • Be sure to get organic chemistry 1 and 2
  • 1 year of biology with lab
  • Biochemistry
  • Advanced biology-based science (e.g. Anatomy, genetics) with a lab
  • 1 year of physics with lab
  • Psychology (1 term)
  • Sociology (1 term)

If you can hit all of this, you’ll meet basically everyone’s course requirements.
This is the list that I want to tackle as I head to medical school