Calc 2 or Not 2 ???

Hey there Everyone,

I was just wondering if I could get some opinions. I am currently RE-taking Calc I in a 5wk summer session. So far I have an A, (probably because I am the only one that does ALL the hmwrk - 6hrs a night 4 nights a week uggh) Back in 1997 when I was having too much fun in college (DOH!) I got a C. Due to it’s age and the C I opted to retake it. (My first class back) With two weeks left, I am debating whether I should keep on trucking and bang out Calc II in the next session.

I know that Calc II is not necessary at 98% of the schools but my pre-med advisor suggests completing the sequence anyway. I also checked and the Calc Based Physics listed a Placement level 6 (which I had prior to taking Calc I) rather than specifically listing Calc I and II. My school requires that I take the calc-based physics rather than algebra based physics as a bio major (Doing a 2nd BS for GPA repair)In speaking with my Calc I teacher today, she did not seem to think that Calc II was necessary to complete the physics sequence.

Everything points to not taking it… except the “re-take theory”. I have read in several sources that you are expected to get an A with a retake and that you should take the next class in the sequence to prove that you deserved the A since everyone should get an A the second time around. Does this apply when a class is 12 years old??? I remembered less than nothing and spent the better part of the first two weeks teaching myself algebra and trig in order to survive. I consider myself to be a newbie after the time lapse.

Will there be any harm in waiting until next summer to take Calc II?? Will I lose to much info with a year long break between?? I am registered for Genetics and Cell Bio (In addition to Bio And Chem I) this fall and I need to spend a lot of time reviewing Bio and Chem. I previously got A’s in these classes (1997-98) so my advisor let me register for the UD classes but suggested I spend the summer reviewing. I am concerned that I will not have time to do this if the homework load is anything like it is in Calc I.

So what do you think… to take Calc 2 or not 2??

The schools I attended all required Calc II as a pre or corequisite for engineering physics I (the only calc based physics option at these schools).

It was 12 years ago for me too, so I don’t remember if the Calc II was really needed but it was the requirement. I guess I would take it unless you decide to opt for Algebra-based physics instead.

I will say calc II is probably the hardest of the calc sequence, which actually contains calc III and diff eq, if you really want the full experience. (You mentioned “completing the sequence.”)

Wow, you are a braver person than I. I also heard that Calc 2 was one of the most difficult of the math sequence.

Thanks for your input guys… I REALLY appreciate your thoughts. I am leaning towards NOT taking it but in the back of my mind, I fear that I HAVE TO because I got that C in Calc I so long ago… ugggh decisions, decisions. I think I am just so new to this and there is so much info available, that I am not confident enough yet to make a sound decision. Uggh!! In the end I will probably just suffer through to be “safe” and cover all bases, but I would REALLY love to get around it… ESPECIALLY since I keep hearing its a BEAR.

Thanks again for your thoughts guys!!

GM

• GinaMarie119 Said:
Thanks for your input guys... I REALLY appreciate your thoughts. I am leaning towards NOT taking it but in the back of my mind, I fear that I HAVE TO because I got that C in Calc I so long ago... ugggh decisions, decisions. I think I am just so new to this and there is so much info available, that I am not confident enough yet to make a sound decision. Uggh!! In the end I will probably just suffer through to be "safe" and cover all bases, but I would REALLY love to get around it.... ESPECIALLY since I keep hearing its a BEAR.

Thanks again for your thoughts guys!!

GM

Believe me, I can totally understand your wanting to retake it...kind of getting the beast off of your back (or transcript), but I would definitely hold off until you get a good handle on the physics and organic chemistry. Takeitin the spring, and we'll work through it together!