calculus based physics?

Would it be more useful for MCAT to take a calculus based physics class (typically used for engineering majors) or just algebra & trigonometry based physics?
Thx!

Although I haven’t taken the MCAT, most have told me the trig-based physics would suffice, since there isn’t calc on the MCAT.

Hey Rianah -
There has been some discussion on here in the past on this very topic. You definitely DON’T need calc based physics for the MCAT. All of the physics on the MCAT is algebra/trig based.
Now, there are some people who have taken calc based or both series of physics who felt the calc based physics was easier to understand and made more sense than algebra/trig based, but again, didn’t feel that taking the calc based gave them a huge advantage.
Amy

Thanks for the replies.
Let me ask a different question. How different are the calc based vs. trg/algebra based classes? I only took calc based ( because of my engg background) in the past.

It’s the difference between memorizing and using formulae and DERIVING and using formulae, if you catch my drift.

Quote:

It’s the difference between memorizing and using formulae and DERIVING and using formulae, if you catch my drift.

Thx!

Quote:

Thanks for the replies.
Let me ask a different question. How different are the calc based vs. trg/algebra based classes? I only took calc based ( because of my engg background) in the past.

To quote my brother (who has a Master’s in physics) - “Physics without calculus is like nuts without balls.” Kind of a silly analogy, but if you’re a true physics person, there is absolutely no way to study physics without using calculus…and it would be silly to do so. The physical world is made of lots more than straight lines.
However, as far as MCAT, my opinion is that calc-based physics is actually worse for you than just trig-based. I took calc-based because I had to take it at a CC, and I wanted to look like I was doing the toughest classes I could. I kind of wish I hadn’t because I almost have to “unlearn” some things in order to simplify my approach for the MCAT into what can be readily and very quickly used.
Sam

Taking calc-based physics (and getting low grades!!!) was the worst, since I had to unlearn everything. Couldn’t believe all the stuff that Kaplan wanted me to memorize! But at the same time, the fluffy physics books make all sorts of ridiculous assumptions that no engineer or physicist would try. My physics/engineering DH was really frustrated with many of the questions and answers in the practice exams. Just say no! (but you might want to actually learn real physics after the test.)