Calling all single med students w/kids

Hi all,
I’ve been having some depressing thoughts lately in regards to med school. As some of you may know, I am a single father of two daughters ages 7 and 10. I have joint custody where my girls are with me in the evenings and alternating weekends. Although family, work, school, and household commitments have me pretty much tied up right now, I seem to be doing ok. But, I wonder how the hell am I’m going to do this when I get into med school!!
If I understand correctly, I will be in class most of the day into early evenings. This, is where I’m having my concerns. I don’t want to be getting home at 7pm every evening. There are SOOOOOO many issues I would have to make sure of… diabetic daughter eating correctly and on time, their homework getting done, too young to stay home themselves, not having enough time with their father, etc…
PLEASE!! Someone give me some ideas or something!!
Thanks!
Geoff

P.S. I don’t want to hear any comments that I should just find a girlfriend or new wife!!! biggrin.gif LOL

Hmmm… sounds like we don’t have enough OPM’s in med school yet!! ohmy.gif
Oh well… we’ll change that soon enough!

or maybe its an object lesson in all the extra time that single-parents in med school have to peruse the forums biggrin.gif
I haven’t seen much of Will (female) from Texas since we changed over from the listserve - but she was 1 single parent I know about in med school. Maybe you should cross-post over into momMD ?
Lisa

Hi Geoff-
I was hoping for an encouraging reply to your post, since I'm in a similar boat. (single mom to 6 year old daughter who will be 8 when I start mschool).
From the forums (& my experience taking med school courses in grad school), I get the impression the first 2 years won't be such an issue if you are already used to balancing working full time with school and child care and house maintenance. I don't think classes run that late into the evening generally, though the studying probably will. The clinical rotation and residency years concern me more, when the schedule is more eratic with longer hours in the hospital. Sounds like it may require live-in help - or maybe in your case, a good (flexible) relationship with your ex.
There are a few people in Mommd I think but they don't post often.
LM

Geoff,
There's some good ideas here. I KNOW we've got people over at MomMD who have either done this and are practicing or are in school now. Worth a try: www.mommd.com

Take care/good luck!
Mary

Geoff:
Start looking for a wife. laugh.gif
I know you’re interested in Michigan schools, right? Didn’t you report that your father recently retired? How could he possibly fit the bill as a baby-sitter until you got home from school?
Also, you mentioned that one of your daughters is 10. How far off is med school for you? If it’s a couple of years, then she’ll be 12, and I think a 12 year old would be mature enough to to leave at home for a couple of hours alone (and I’m an over-protective father myself). The eating would be the sticky situation.
Let us know what you figure out.

QUOTE (LisaS @ Oct 9 2002, 12:49 AM)
or maybe its an object lesson in all the extra time that single-parents in med school have to peruse the forums biggrin.gif

Lisa, you may very well be right!! I know I don't seem to have nearly as much time to be on the boards now that I'm in Chem and Biology. My internet playtime seems to only come while at work (like now).
I doubt there will be any internet playtime when I'm in class!!
QUOTE (Laramisa @ Oct 9 2002, 04:24 AM)
From the forums (& my experience taking med school courses in grad school), I get the impression the first 2 years won't be such an issue if you are already used to balancing working full time with school and child care and house maintenance. I don't think classes run that late into the evening generally, though the studying probably will. The clinical rotation and residency years concern me more, when the schedule is more eratic with longer hours in the hospital. Sounds like it may require live-in help - or maybe in your case, a good (flexible) relationship with your ex.

I 'should' be able to manage during the first two years. Fortunately, I have a pretty good relationship with my ex... unfortunately, she works second shift!! It's possible I can get 'grandma' to help but that seems like a lot to ask of someone.
Start looking for a wife. laugh.gif

It's cheaper for a babysitter!!
I know you're interested in Michigan schools, right? Didn't you report that your father recently retired? How could he possibly fit the bill as a baby-sitter until you got home from school?

I'm about 95% sure I'm staying in Michigan (assuming I get accepted here). That's a pretty good idea about having him help out. My only concern, as I mentioned to Laramisa, is it being too much for him or grandma. It would definitely be an option tho so I'm going to keep it in the back of my mind. Maybe Grandpa one day, Grandma the next, Grandma II the next, etc...
Also, you mentioned that one of your daughters is 10. How far off is med school for you? If it's a couple of years, then she'll be 12, and I think a 12 year old would be mature enough to to leave at home for a couple of hours alone (and I'm an over-protective father myself). The eating would be the sticky situation.

Yes, I would be comfortable with leaving her for an hour or two. One thing that concerns me is her younger sister who will be 9 at that time. Honestly, she's a monster!! LOL I love her to death but I KNOW she will be getting in to trouble if she's left alone with her 12 yr old sister!! Another, as you mentioned, is the eating schedule. The oldest is the one with diabetes..I would be concerned that she wouldn't be eating or taking her shot on time. She's pretty good at staying on schedule now but I don't know how she'd do if she had to make her own dinner... BLAH!! Lot's to think about!!

Thanks for the suggestions.
Geoff
QUOTE (Mary Bois Byrne @ Oct 9 2002, 07:16 AM)
Geoff,
There's some good ideas here. I KNOW we've got people over at MomMD who have either done this and are practicing or are in school now. Worth a try: www.mommd.com

Take care/good luck!
Mary

Thanks Mary!! I don't know why I didn't check that out earlier!