Can a High MCAT score offset a low undergrad GPA?

Hi there,

I recently started listening to your podcast which I found as a welcome, calmer alternative to the student doctor network. As someone very jaded by premeds in college, I thank you for this podcast.

I have been out of undergrad for 5 years. Since then I’ve been living an old dream of working at a large pharmaceutical company. It’s been a great few years but I realized just last year I would like to work with patients for the rest of my life, specifically as a physician. I am planning to leave a very comfortable corporate job to pursue this for the next 10 years, so I consider this to be something I am truly passionate about.

Unfortunately I found out from your podcast this morning that even AACOMAS stopped doing grade replacement and my heart fell. I felt I would have had a decent chance with DO schools at least. Now, my cumulative GPA will calculate to around 3.0, while my science GPA is below that. My biggest fear is that algorithm… that may disregard my entire application due to that GPA, despite a possibly great MCAT.

I took the MCAT 3 years ago (never applied!) and scored a 514 with shoddy studying (I know that doesn’t make much sense given my GPA, but I just really hated my college and seemed to do a lot better outside that environment). I know from personal growth and from balancing coursework, volunteering and a rigorous work schedule that I can do this. I am studying diligently for the MCAT in May and am sure I can beat my previous score.

I’ve heard you say in your podcasts to advocate for oneself, to network with people who can pull that application out of the ‘discard pile.’ But otherwise, for a non-traditional applicant, could a high MCAT score (514+) help offset a low undergraduate GPA, with respect to the algorithm or in general?

I would really appreciate if you could answer this one. Thank you again.

(Just some background- I’ve already retaken many of my low-grade science courses from college. My sGPA is ~2.8 counting repeats.) My master’s was in a medical school and had very high level science courses, GPA 3.9. In retrospect I obviously should’ve done a post-bacc.)

1 Like

I feel like we have similar stories and GPA issues. Wow I would love to get a 514 on the MCAT! I hope I can at least get a 505 :crazy_face: when it’s my time to take it. As a 5 year nurse I have my doubts sometimes with all this but I’m going to keep working. Thanks for sharing your story, I don’t feel so alone with my same thoughts.
Good luck to you!

Similar boat as you except I have not taken the MCAT yet. I’m either applying for 2022 matriculation or 2023 matriculation and graduated Dec 2015 so… 6-7 year old degree at a not-so-reputable school. I’m at a 3.04 cumulative and a 3.3 science but considering retaking some classes both science and non-science to bump that up more if I can afford it and find the time (I work FT with a job that does not have a set 8-5 type schedule).

I need to get some more volunteering hours and clinical experience as well. Interested to hear what the answer is.