Can hobbies be an advantage or disadvantage to the application process?

What I mean by that is that many speakers at the conference spoke about “facebook” and to google ourselves so we know what is out there. After hearing this, I came home and I did just that, I googled my name.

Well, a full page came up with my name from my comments to other people’s posts on their facebooks, my facebook page, my linkedin page, and a youtube clip of when my sister and I displayed some of our fashion designs in a “Breast Cancer Awareness Fashion Show”, a charitable event we did last year.

My question is, will clips like the youtube one affect my chance of getting into medical school and can I put that on my application? Will admissions see it as a good thing? That I am creative and good with my hands and capable of designing and sewing my line of clothing? Will they also appreciate I participated in a charitable event for breast cancer?

I am thinking about participating in this event again this year. However, I will design and create a new line of clothing especially for this event. So, would this be a positive thing to do? As much as I love medicine, I love fashion too and have sketched out numerous designs on my spare time! It’s therapy for me! Therefore, will admissions see this as a positive thing?!

• traycee Said:
What I mean by that is that many speakers at the conference spoke about "facebook" and to google ourselves so we know what is out there. After hearing this, I came home and I did just that, I googled my name.

Well, a full page came up with my name from my comments to other people's posts on their facebooks, my facebook page, my linkedin page, and a youtube clip of when my sister and I displayed some of our fashion designs in a "Breast Cancer Awareness Fashion Show", a charitable event we did last year.

My question is, will clips like the youtube one affect my chance of getting into medical school and can I put that on my application? Will admissions see it as a good thing? That I am creative and good with my hands and capable of designing and sewing my line of clothing? Will they also appreciate I participated in a charitable event for breast cancer?

I am thinking about participating in this event again this year. However, I will design and create a new line of clothing especially for this event. So, would this be a positive thing to do? As much as I love medicine, I love fashion too and have sketched out numerous designs on my spare time! It's therapy for me! Therefore, will admissions see this as a positive thing?!

Do you see it as a positive thing? do you see this as a thing that you are proud of, to discuss, to share with your friends, your family? Do you feel this is part of you? In my opinion, it is extremely positive thing showing motivation, initiative, and commitment.

This is where Rule 10 FUD: Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt, is getting in your way.

medical schools like to see that you are more than just grades and test scores. You must have a life outside of medical school or you will burn out very quickly.

With facebook, make sure that there is nothing polarizing or anything controversial (pictures of you in a compromising situation at the office party with the boss) kind of thing.

You guys are absolutely right! Thanks for making me realize that I should be proud of it! I do see it as a positive thing! In order to make our own clothing line come to life, my sister and I worked very hard to make it happened. The designs were very elegant and very appropriate so there is nothing I have to be ashamed of. Therefore, when the event arrived and I watched the models strut in our clothes down the runway, It was a very proud moment! I was also very proud of the fact that we were a part of a wonderful fundraising event! I believe I will include this in my application when I’m ready to apply. Thanks!

Just so you know - on the medical school application (this post refers specifically to AMCAS, although I know AACOMAS is very similar), there is a section called “Work and Activities.” It has 15 spots for you to list extracurriculars, jobs, honors/awards, volunteer experience, etc. You have to categorize each entry you make (although you don’t have to use all 15), and there are 13 categories to choose from. From what I understand, one of them is “artistic endeavors” or something like that - so medical schools clearly are recognizing the importance of the arts and creativity.

Other categories (I believe, I’m not entirely sure here) recognize paid employment, volunteer - medical, volunteer - nonmedical, publications, leadership, research, teaching, awards, etc. I don’t know the exact wording, and there are a few other categories as well.

(Please note: I found these categories doing a Google search so don’t quote me on this.)

After you characterize your “Work and Activitites,” give them a title, list what organization you did them for (if applicable), and how many hours per week (avg.) you did them, you have up to 1325 characters (including spaces) to describe what you did. Med schools want to know, for example, that if you were in a club, you did more than just show up and sit in a chair - that you were the treasurer, or organized a fundraiser, for example. That sort of thing.

Point being, med schools want you to be a well-rounded person, a “renaissance” man/woman, so to speak.

So it sounds like what you did - the fashion show - DEFINITELY counts. In fact, I’m going to take a wild guess and say that not too many med school applicants have done this, so this entry on your application will make you stand out and set you apart from the “average” applicant. And you want that.

So way to go!

Awww thanks Terra_Incognita! Thank you for the information and the encouragement!

Terra’s got it. The full AMCAS list is:

• In reply to:

Experience Type

From the drop-down list, select the Experience Type that best represents the experience you wish to include. Because these are arbitrary categories, it is up to the applicant to decide which experience type best suits each particular experience.

Paid Employment - not Military

Paid Employment - Military

Community Service/Volunteer - not Medical/Clinical

Community Service/Volunteer - Medical/Clinical

Research/Lab

Teaching/Tutoring

Honors/Awards/Recognition s

Conferences Attended

Presentations/Posters

Publications

Extracurricular/Hobbies/A vocations

Leadership - not Listed Elsewhere

Other

Intercollegiate Athletics

Artistic Endeavors

Or at least, that's what it was in 2007. I don't imagine much has changed.

Nope, the categories haven’t changed.

Cheers,

Judy

Thanks Adam! Thanks Judy!

Judy, it was so wonderful to have met you!

Thanks, Adam. This helps immensely.