Can I apply with this MCAT score and GPA?

Cumulative GPA: 3.73 (Took five years to finish college; majored in accounting then biology);

MCAT Scores: 9 - PS; 9 - BS; 8 - VR

Writing Sample - Q

I am worried that my scores will not allow me to get into a US MD school on my first attempt. Just got these scores released today after July 30th test. What would your advice be on applying via AMCAS for fall 2011 cycle? Can I retake the exam in Jan. or Feb. 2011 and still apply for fall 2011?

In my opinion, MCAT in January or Febuary 2011 is better suited for 2011 application.

Your GPA is inline with expectations which is great. As for the MCAT, I’d say it will depend on which school you target. 27 is not disastrous, but it is not great either.

I can’t tell you if it is worth retaking. Others may have a better opinion than mine on the subject.

• ajay118 Said:
Cumulative GPA: 3.73 (Took five years to finish college; majored in accounting then biology);

MCAT Scores: 9 - PS; 9 - BS; 8 - VR

Writing Sample - Q

I am worried that my scores will not allow me to get into a US MD school on my first attempt. Just got these scores released today after July 30th test. What would your advice be on applying via AMCAS for fall 2011 cycle? Can I retake the exam in Jan. or Feb. 2011 and still apply for fall 2011?

My question I always ask is your goal to get into medical school or to get into medical school QUICKLY?

Even though a full 25% of individuals in a given cycle are reapplicants, it is generally considered that as whole, reapplicants have reduced chances of acceptance, though I do not have any specific data to support or disprove this.

More importantly, It already very late in the rolling admissions cycle, and that hurts your chances greatly. I cant think of any US school that would look at an MCAT score from later than September 2010 for 2011 acceptance.

Lastly, your current scores are below average for matriculants. This is a danger when not having MCAT scores BEFORE the application cycle begins because what do you do?

I believe students should be the strongest candidate on their FIRST application, with known MCAT scores BEFORE applying, getting in EARLY in the cycle when they have the BEST chance of being accepted.

I would strongly suggest that you consider delaying to the next cycle, spending the time prepping for the MCAT, perhaps adding more volunteer even advanced classes, taking the MCATs early in 2011, and having fully polished application with great MCAT scores submitted in June

I agree with gonnif. US early decision applicants for 2011 are interviewing now, and regular applicants will start interviewing in the next few weeks. Spend some time getting better prepared for the MCAT, take it next spring and get your application together for the 2012 cycle. If you can improve your score by one point in each category, I think you will be much more competitive.