Can I skip the black suit if I have grey hair?

Hi OPM Ladies, a little fashion advice requested here.
I know over on SDN everyone says black suit for interviews. But I’m thinking that at 41 with (just a few) grey hairs and wrinkles, it might look a little too mature and serious. In my past professional life, I have often heard that people find me intimidating (I think in a guy it would be called “confident”), and I don’t want to reinforce that impression by wearing a severe black suit. I’m not thinking belly top and hip-huggers, but I’d like to wear something else. Any suggestions? Can I do lovely blouse and beautifully cut pants? Must I wear a jacket? I am a youthful 41, by the way.
Thanks for your sartorial assistance!

I would think business dress would work. Whatever you’d wear to say a corporate meeting. This is just my opinion however.

I would stick with a suit but it does not have to be black and even if it is black it can be worn with a colorful blouse that will go well with your personal style. Almost everyone at interviews will be wearing a suit, so going sans jacket would make you kind of stick out. Will it mean a rejection? no, but it depends on why you would like to stand out, for me standing out due to my clothing attire was a no no.

Hmmm, I don’t yet have grey hair but I’m 32 and slightly plump. Not wanting to deviate TOO much from the standard but still wanting to be memorable, I wore a black and white (looked grey overall) houndstooth suit with tiny red stripes and a deep red sweater underneath. I love wearing deep red, and it made me feel confident.
I also don’t do heels. I’m 5’4" but I swear I just can’t wear heels. I went with trendy flat black backless Mary Janes.
My advice is wear what makes you feel good. You could always start with a suit jacket and take it off if you feel ocmfortable later.

Meowmix,
I’d wear a suit. Definitely doesn’t have to be black, and it doesn’t have to be a skirt. I wore a navy pantsuit. I almost wore a plum-colored one, but it didn’t fit right.
Make sure your shoes are very comfortable. You will be on your feet a lot. Good luck at your interview(s)!

Hi there,
My interview attire consisted of a maroon and plum colored business dress by Jones New York. It was comfortable and I think it made me stand out from the crowd. I always felt confident and professional in it. (Worked well because I ended up with six acceptances). Wear what makes you look professional, neat and most of all what is comfortable. There were plenty of folks in dark grey and navy suits. Most looked very professional but a few were clearly uncomfortable. I also wore low-heeled walking shoes because most medical schools include a tour with their interview. You don’t want to be teetering on too-high heels if you are not used to wearing these and if you can’t keep up with the group. The most uncomfortable folks were the ladies in very short suits who kept pulling at their skirts.
In short, wear something that is business attire, clean, professional looking and comfortable. I always attempted to dress like a physician without the white coat. This is also a time to find out which designers look good on you too. If I had been able to fit into my wonderful Chanel suits (they are in my closet and I am getting closer every day) I would probably have worn one of them. Be comfortable and confident.
Natalie

Quote:

Hi OPM Ladies, a little fashion advice requested here.
I know over on SDN everyone says black suit for interviews. But I’m thinking that at 41 with (just a few) grey hairs and wrinkles, it might look a little too mature and serious. In my past professional life, I have often heard that people find me intimidating (I think in a guy it would be called “confident”), and I don’t want to reinforce that impression by wearing a severe black suit. I’m not thinking belly top and hip-huggers, but I’d like to wear something else. Any suggestions? Can I do lovely blouse and beautifully cut pants? Must I wear a jacket? I am a youthful 41, by the way.
Thanks for your sartorial assistance!

Yes, do wear a suit, either skirt or pants. But where on earth did this rumor about black suits come from? I’ve been hearing it for years and just don’t understand. Be that as it may, wear whatever color looks good on you - remember, this is a “job interview” and dress accordingly. If you wear a black suit, please wear something more interesting than a white shirt (men) or blouse/shirt/shell (women). You don’t want to be part of the penguin herd of interviewees.
Enjoy your interview!
Cheers,
Judy

I wore a plum-colored suit. I am going to be wearing it to my residency interviews, too. It is a great color on me and I like it. A skirt and blouse is not strong enough. A very strong suit-style dress would also work just fine.
The comment “You don’t want to stand out in any other way” can be looked at a different way: you DO already stand out, so why not go ahead and look great (instead of cookie cutter) too? That was kind of the thought I had with my plum Kasper suit. I also felt that, at 43, I wasn’t going to blend in with the other applicants even if I was dressed identically, so I might as well just wear something that looks good.

So I suppose the same goes for men?
I have a black suit like everyone else, but also a very nice, dark brown one as well…
Thoughts?

Thanks for the great advice, everyone - this is just what I needed. I really like the advice to choose something that I feel really good and confident in. Road testing of my outfit will occur in 2 weeks!
Now, should I wear my lucky Princess Kitty underwear from Walmart?

Quote:

I have a black suit like everyone else, but also a very nice, dark brown one as well…
Thoughts?

Pete, either one will be fine! I think the dark brown sounds striking. The guys all standing around in black suits always look like they’ve misplaced a coffin somewhere.

Thanks, Mary!

I wore my brown suit yesterday with a nice, UT-Austin colored tie. No problem!
pete

UGGH! Now you guys are making me nervous that my black suit with cream shell (shudder!) was a mistake! Does it help that my suit has cream colored lapels and cuffs??? That I have very dark hair and look good in black??? It’s a pantsuit! (this is a very strange smilie)
Durn these application nerves…

Quote:

UGGH! Now you guys are making me nervous that my black suit with cream shell (shudder!) was a mistake! Does it help that my suit has cream colored lapels and cuffs??? That I have very dark hair and look good in black??? It’s a pantsuit! (this is a very strange smilie)
Durn these application nerves…

Hi there,
You can wear any color that looks neat, clean and professional. If black is your color, then wear it proudly. For many folks, automatic purchase of black suit and white shirt take place with the mistaken assumption that an admissions committee member only wants to see black and white. You can wear any color that works for you if it achieves a professional look. Most of the docs where I work wear dark grey or navy blue. Often on interview day there is an endless trail of black suits and white shirts that looks like a “mortician’s convention”. We had a running joke about the “penquin parade” when interview time was in full swing.
In short, wear something neat, professional and clean. Look at the physicians in your area to get some ideas if you are clueless. I wore an maroon and cream colored business dress with low heeled black pumps. I carried a small folder with copies of my correspondence. I carried a small black purse with tissues and extra lipstick so I wouldn’t look washed out. In the end, it worked well. I saw many navy, grey and black pantsuits and suit dresses. As the weather got warmer, there were even a couple of lighter suits in blue. Most everyone looked well-groomed. Some ladies had skirts that were too short or heels that were too high. This made walking tours agony and sitting pretty worrisome (they kept tugging at the skirt to keep it pulled down.)
Enjoy this experience and don’t agonize too much! It really isn’t the Great Inquisition.
Natalie

Definitely wear lucky drawers
I have an outfit by Jones New York that consists of a long knit dark brown skirt, cream cashmere turtle neck and a lt brown blazer. It looks great w/ med heeled brown boots. It looks conservative yet fashionable and feminine. I love it, but after reading over these posts and others, will I be better suited with the suit? I saw some nice Kasper suits in navy and plum, but they all had really trendy-looking shiny metal buttons or clasps on the jackets.

Your outfit would have been perfect for the last set of interviews I went to. I wore black like everyone else but wished I didn’t look like just another member of the flock (couldn’t find a decent suit in another color). One woman was wearing a pale brown ensemble sort of thing and she looked much more interesting.
You could always replace the metal buttons. The other trend I notice this year, which I find very unattractive, is the large stitching that looks like basting; it looks like someone forgot to take the stitches out!

Mina,
I’d buy the suit and replace the buttons. The outfit sounds charming and tasteful, but not quite right for an interview.

I wore the outfit mentioned above, and it was well-received. Did I stand out? I felt like I was crashing a funeral!!! One adcom member and several students made positive comments about the outfit, but for other interviews, I will wear the Kasper suit. Plum or eggplant. Thanks for the button suggestion!

Wear what you are comfortable in and still looks as professional as you can.
You said you didn’t want to wear a black suit with your grey hair, well I wore a grey suit with my black hair.