Can you give feedback from your years in school

I’m about to apply to Med School.

I’d like to know how the people who are currently in med school and the ones who finished would describe the study/work load they had.

During med school did you have time to go for a run?

Is it true that ALL social life will be disappearing?

Did you find the intensity and the volume completely overwhelming? Any breakdowns? Second thoughts? I’m of course talking about older students here, in their forties.

Also, what if I have a mortgage to pay while I"m going to school? What kind of loan can you get to go to school? In other words did you borrow much more than what you needed to pay for tuition, books, food etc? How much can you borrow?

Were you supported by a relative or did you have to borrow a lot to cover rent/mortgage etc…

I would greatly appreciate any information about the above

Thanks

Phil

Hello

I just have to chime into this OP’s question.

It’s demanding, really demanding. I find it tough. I mean really time consuming, demanding, challenging, and it really cramps my style.

I really have no simpler or more elegant way of putting it.

I knew from reading other students’ posts that by going to Med School, I was taking a real big bite to chew on. I thought to myself, sure, it can be hard, but it surely can’t be all that bad.

Well, fast-forward 3 years.

Here I am to tell you - in Med School, you’re never really done; you’ve really never covered the material quite adequately. Living with uncertainty is part of the deal. Med school means a lot of sacrifices socially. Less dining out. Less visiting family and friends. Being up late at night, most nights, studying material which at times simply becomes arid. You wish you could just close the books and hit the sac early sometimes. But you face uncertainty, inadequate preparedness for exams. So you weigh pros and cons, too tired, too unprepared, which one wins, and then decide. Usually, more reading!

Anyways, I don’t want to ramble on.

Consider med school a big challenge, and a long one.

I’m keeping a positive attitude nonetheless through it all though. I like what I’m doing, though at times I am quite fatigued.

I hope that through my admittedly disorganized response, I still have given you a sense of the challenge that lies ahead if you decide to go forward.

Regards!

Ron

Ron,

thanks for your answer.

Where are you in your study right now and where are you studying?

How do you live, how do you pay rent/mortgage?

Phil

medical school is very difficult. If not, then everyone would do it. That being said, you need to do a lot of studying, especially in the first 2 years. However, you also need to recharge and give your brain a rest. That way you will be able to process and retain the information.

Whatever hobby you had before medical school, continue it. If you want to take a day off, take it. Have a schedule and stick to it.

Social life does not disappear, or at least it should not. You will meet new people and you will want to get together. You also cannot spend every waking moment in a book. You need to get out and smell the air.

Regarding paying your bills, that is what the student loan is for. It pays for your tuition, fees, and living expenses. You should also take time to look for scholarships and look to reduce your spending. Rather than buying books, get them at the library. Rather than getting 200 channels (which you cannot watch anyway because of school) get basic cable. Do an energy audit and find out how you can reduce your monthly payment.

If you have a family and your spouse makes under the federal poverty level you are eligible for government programs. Hey, you paid into the system while you worked now get the money back. It is only temporary.

When you are looking for a place to live, do not trade up and only get a fixed rate mortgage.

There are ways to do it.

good luck.