Can you take MCAT wait 2 years before applying?

I am investigating the possibility of pursuing medical school, I have looked over the AAMC's MCAT pdf files, and I am still wondering how long an MCAT score is valid. Suppose I take the August 2004 exam and score a 38Q. Can I use that score to apply to medical school in the Fall of 2005 (for a Fall 2006 admission)? What if I waited until 2008 to apply? Would that be OK, or do medical schools require you to take the April or August exam for the year of your application?
I am thinking that I could take the August 2004 exam and wait for the score. If it's a ringer, great! It's worth my time and effort to begin work on filling out the other parts of my application and applying in 2005 (volunteering in a hospital(s) to fulfill the unspoken evidence of altruism/evidence of compassion requirement, doing an excellent job working for and making friends with professors or professional employers who could write spectacular letters of recommendation, etc). If not, then I'll just continue along my current career path.
On another note, do medical schools look at grades from post-graduate schools? My undergrad GPA is a 3.8 (chemistry major), but my grades from graduate study (MS biochem) and law school were not as fantastic. How would schools handle that? What if I suffered through one year of unemployment due to the recession in spite of excellent credentials? (Should I even bother trying to study for the MCAT and to get into med school?)

welcome to OPM! Lots of questions… but let me just answer the one about the MCAT. Schools generally require scores that are 3 years old or less, so you can’t “bank” an MCAT score for too long. You can safely take the MCAT a full year before you apply.
Don’t just take it cold to see how you’ll do, though, or do a “run-through” in preparation for taking it ‘for real.’ It’s a horrible test, you want to prepare and do as well as you can the first time around in hopes that you won’t have to take it again.
Hopefully others will chime in with more insights about your other questions. You’re not the first lawyer on the list - do tell more about the thinking process that is leading you to consider medicine when you get a chance, and welcome again!

Schools will see your grades from graduate/professional schools. I also had less-than-stellar grades in graduate school as I left the program and was unable to withdraw from classes. I got into medical school and was not asked about the graduate grades during interviews so it is definitely possible.
I do not know what schools would think of one year of unemployment. The application to allopathic medical schools contains a section on 'post-secondary experiences' however there is nothing like a CV so some schools will probably not even notice that you are missing some 'time' on your application. However, I remember that at least one school asked (on their secondary application) about accounting for all your time between graduating from high school to the present.

I recommend that first you make the decision, then you take the MCAT. It is expensive and very time-consuming to prep for the MCAT; you will need to spend more than a few hours per week unless you are exceptionally brilliant. You will need motivation - the decision itself helps provide the motivation. Indecision makes everything in this process long and difficult.
I took a year's sabbatical and did not work; it does not seem to be causing problems, and I am getting plenty of secondary applications so far.

Thank you all for the advice. There is an excellent chance that I might take the August MCAT or a future MCAT. However, I might want more than one year between taking the MCAT and applying (probably just two years). Mary, you said it would be valid for at least a year. Am I correct in interpreting your answer to mean that after 1 year some schools would not accept it? If I took the August 2004 MCAT, could I use it to apply to all schools in 2006 (for a Fall 2007 admission), or would I be unable to use a 2004 score at certain schools? Would most let me use it for three years or do you think it would be only less than half? I figure I'll need at least one year and maybe two to take care of the rest of the requirements, especially if I have to take basic science classes again. (My undergrad biology and chemistry were taken care of by AP credits, so that could be a problem. The irony is that years ago I taught first year chemistry as a graduate teaching assistant.)
I agree with what everyone has said about taking the MCAT very seriously, and I hope I didn't give off the impression that I was overconfident or took it lightly. If I were to do this, I would spend months re-teaching myself first year biology, first year chemistry, first year physics, and organic chemistry (and calculus if needed), and of course I would also hit the commercial study guides (like Examcrackers), practice questions, and old exams very hard. You cannot do enough preparation and practice for such an important exam, and my goal would be a score of 39Q
As for the expense, I prefer paper study materials and dislike live classes, so I'd probably start with the Examcracker boxed set and take it from there. I was actually surprised at how inexpensive the study material is relative to bar exam study and admissions (about $3200, then add about $800 for registration and character evaluation fees). (I suppose that's what happens when one study guide covers the entire country and 51 individual programs aren't needed.)
As for my own story, I might post more about that later and I might take up the issue of the rest of my CV and post-bachelor's degree grades in another post in a more appropriate forum. I also have a concern about disclosing too much personal information, allowing my identity to become recognizable to medical school admissions personnel, and then having everything I've ever posted here essentially end up as part of my application.

Quote:

I also have a concern about disclosing too much personal information, allowing my identity to become recognizable to medical school admissions personnel, and then having everything I’ve ever posted here essentially end up as part of my application.

Hey folks, I have been wondering this myself? Is this topic worthy of a thread of its own??

Hi Guys,
I think your secrets are “safe” on this forum. Most of the admissions folks that I have been acquainted with have little time to read this kind of stuff this time of year. One usually has the opposite problem that is, getting them to read all of the stuff that you send directly to the school as part of your application.
Natalie

Thanks Natalie,
That was my gut feeling…I know they are flooded with info. I am trying to instill in my son the idea that stuff he sends out into cyberspace is PUBLIC and to be sure he would want me (or another mother) to see what he is writing!!

Quote:

Quote:

I also have a concern about disclosing too much personal information, allowing my identity to become recognizable to medical school admissions personnel, and then having everything I’ve ever posted here essentially end up as part of my application.

Hey folks, I have been wondering this myself? Is this topic worthy of a thread of its own??

I can assure you, with some degree of confidence, that most med school admissions committees have never even heard of OPMs, much less have the time to follow any of these threads. They are waaaay too busy managing the application process.
Cheers,
Judy

Thanks Judy. I know they have tons to read as it is. I did work in undergrad admissions way back when for a short time, so I know how crazy it gets. But it seems that the internet has connected everyone in a new way.
Liz