Canadian premed

I find it’s really hard finding specific information for Canadian medical schools and how competitive it is. I’m trying to gauge my chances, but I really don’t know how I compare, I just know that Canadian medical school is insanely hard to get into. So I guess, I’m wondering where I stand.

I’m a student in Alberta (rural) with a 4.0 GPA and I haven’t written the MCAT yet (my exam was cancelled from covid). For the past two years, I’ve been a volunteer assistance hockey coach with two different U18AA female hockey teams, which is about 5 nights out of the week and requires a lot of travel. But that is pretty much my only volunteer hours and I don’t have job shadowing. I’ve worked as a medical office assistant on and off as they need me for about 5 years, but, again, I’m not sure how important shadowing or previous medical experience is in a Canadian application. The only other interesting thing about me was that I played AA hockey then Junior A before retiring due to injuries and reffing as well. I feel like the only thing I have going for me is my GPA and hockey, but I wasn’t even a varsity player or anything. Do I even have a chance?

Are there any other Canadian students that feel so overwhelmed and no matter how much they do, they feel they just aren’t competitive enough?

1 Like