Cancer update

Linda,
I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better these days. Thanks for sharing your journey! It will help us all become more compassionate physicians. I want to wish you the best as you continue to study for your boards. You can do it, girl!!!
Looking forward to seeing you in June at the convention.
Lu

So the cancer treatment is going just fine. Had my third treatment yesterday. Still feeling just fine, although I do always seem to have a little diarrhea the day following.
Anyway, my surgical wound is really healing. Just five and a half weeks ago it measured 17.5 X 10 X 12 cm. When the home health nurse measured it Monday, it was down to 6.4 X 2.7 X 5.5 cm. It has literally gone from the Grand Canyon to a pothole!
I am feeling really great. A lot more energy and a lot more positive attitude. I went to see Dean Adelman today, and he was surprised at how fast I am recovering. I always told him I would. I don’t know why he ever doubted it.
So now I am concentrating on studying for the boards. I have some great new review lectures that have proven to be extremely helpful not only in refreshing my memory, but in helping me put pieces together in a way that is much easier to recall.
Three more weeks of once/week radiation. Then I have about 6 weeks before the COMLEX. I think I might actually take a week and go back to Tulsa to see Zane’s sister and just to get away. I can take my review materials with me, so mostly it will just give me an opportunity to see something else, to spend a little time with friends I REALLY miss (you are reading this, aren’t you Randy and Anna?).
I can’t believe it’s been two months since my original TAH-BSO. Time is really moving quickly now that I feel better.
Also continuing to get ready for this years conference. Can’t wait to get there and show all of you attending some of the wonderful uses for osteopathic manipulation!
Linda

All good news Linda. With boards coming up, review with Kaplan, mid-terms, finals, and picking rotations, I don’t get a chance to log on much, but I was sad to see what had happend since the last time i was on. It is also nice to see this note on your progress and that you’re on your way to recovery.
My thoughts are with you my old friend.
(and still wishing I was in WV)

Linda,
I’ve been following the thread but I just wanted to say I’m glad to hear that things are working out well. Positive attitudes can make a great influence in situations. And if you are in Tulsa, I’d be glad to go bowling with you

I knew nothing would keep you down girl!!!
Glad to hear you’re recovering well (and quickly!)
I’ll keep you in my thoughts while you’re studying for boards.
Andrea

. . . and it is continuing to do so! I no longer have to use the 5X9 ABD to cover the wound. I simply use one 4X4 gauze to pack it and then cover it with two 4X4s folded in half. Some of my skin that was beginning to become damaged by all the taping and tape removal is now in the clear. I can’t believe it!
AND, last Saturday Zane and I drove down to spend some time with his daughter and her husband in Greenville, SC. We had an absolutely fantastic time! I think just getting away from Lewisburg for a little relaxation was just what my psyche needed. I feel so much better. And if all goes as planned, we will leave on the 22nd to spend a week in Tulsa. I can’t wait to get there, visit friends, see Zane’s sister, spend some time with Randy Hunt (If you don’t know Dr. Hunt, see our list of speakers for this year’s conference). At the same time, I took my review books with me to South Carolina and I actually studied some every day we were there. I will take them to Tulsa as well, along with some DVD lectures and other materials.
I only have one more brachytherapy treatment next Wednesday. The external beam radiation treatments won’t begin until my wound is totally healed and has had time to stabilize. . . probably sometime in late June or early July.
Anyway, I am doing REALLY GREAT!! I can’t wait for the boards to be over and the conference to begin! I certainly hope a lot of you will be there!!

Linda,
I’m glad you are doing so well!! It took my C-section a year to finally leave me after dehiscence (and NOT due to infection!?) where they first packed me with two full rolls of Kerlix, did the Montgomery Straps (I lost a good portion of abdominal skin from those! ) little by little closed. I hope your recovery is continuing well, and if all goes well, I will try to be at the convention this year!! I haven’t seen you in a couple of years and would love to hang out!

My wound has healed to where it is smaller than a penny. Smaller than a penny!! I thought it would never be that small. One 2X2, moistened with saline, to stuff in and cover it, and a folded up 4X4 on top. And only ONE piece of tape to hold it all in place!! Another couple of weeks or so and it should be all healed!!
As to the radiation treatments. The intracavitary (brachytherapy) is finished! And the last one was a killer. Not that the treatment itself hurt, but the very next day I discovered what a radiation burn feels like. . . . and it is in a most inconvenient place, my anus!! OUCH!!! So, after almost 2 weeks of anucort suppositories twice a day it is still not healed. I thought it was better so I decided to try using the anucort once a day and boy, was that ever a mistake!!!
Good news, though. Zane and I just got back from 10 days of travel, including 5 in Tulsa. I had a really great time and feel more relaxed than I have been in years. This week I am continuing board review, next week we are going to Lancaster, PA, to see Zane’s oldest daughter, and then we’ll be home until boards are over. As to boards, I feel so ready for them. And I know that the stress relief I have felt lately will do nothing but help!
Anyway, I’m back. Still have 5 weeks of daily external radiation to do after my wound heals. But, all in all, I’m doing fantastic!!
Thanks to everyone for all the encouragement and support you have given me!

Wonderful news, Linda! I’m glad you and Zane had such a nice time. Remember, there’s always a place for you in Grand Junction!
Jane

A bandaid! I am down to using a bandaid to cover my surgical wound. One itty, bitty little place that hasn’t quite developed a new epidermal layer. Bet by the time the conference gets here, it will be totally healed!!!

Feeling great! No more problems from the radiation treatments.

After researching the external radiation therapy and its effectiveness for endometrial cancer, I am beginning to question whether or not I will continue with that stage of treatment or not. It seems the risks, especially for someone who has had pelvic and abdominal surgery, along with Crohn’s Disease and SLE, may be higher than the risk of the cancer returning.

Anyone with any info or advice, please let me know.

Linda,

I’m glad to hear how much better you are doing! I remember it took quite a while for my last C-section incision to heal after dehiscence, as it went from two full packages of Kerlix to finally a couple of 4 x 4s (over a year) until they finally did a revision. I’m glad yours won’t need that!

Ha! Ha! No more ABDs. No more kerlix. No more gauze pads. Not even a bandaid!!! It is finally totally healed. Actually it was healed a day or so before the conference began, but I was a little afraid it might open up again. But now I am sure it won’t! I can finally soak my weary bones in a hot bathtub if I want . . instead of a shower.

As to the radiation colitis and proctitis. . well, it is still hanging on. And from everything I’ve read, it may just become a chronic condition, so I’ll learn to live with it.

But I feel like I have beat the cancer pretty well. Now it’s just wait and see what happens in the future. Can’t wait for my PAP test in October. (That sounds strange, doesn’t it? What woman is in a hurry to get another PAP test? But I really want to see a negative PAP!!)

Thanks for helping me get through all this. I have always felt like OPM was my family, and it was great to have such a big family to support me throughout the whole affair!

That’s great that you have one less thing to worry about!!! No more gauze! Good luck in the future!

Congrats, Linda. I knew you’d kick this thing. Enjoy those long hot soaks in the hot tub. I bet it feels wonderful! You’ve kept an amazing attitude through this whole process. I’m so happy that things are going so well for you.

Jane

Congrats on healing and enjoy your PAP I never thought I’d say that to anybody!!

Linda,

You never cease to amaze me…

I’m so glad that you are healed and continue to feel better every day.

Andrea