can't believe I'm here!

I just want to introduce myself since I feel as if I’m getting to know some of you by lurking in the shadows of your entries all week. (my form of shadowing)

I’m 38, married for almost 17 years with two sons ages 15 and 14 and a daughter who is 11. I also have been homeschooling my children since their birth! Therefore, I have been a full time homemaker. My 15 will be starting CC in the Spring full time, (he’ll be 16).

Now that my children have become more independent I’m ready for a new chapter. More like a book I think. Maybe it’s a sequel! When I was younger I knew I wanted to have my own family, a happy family. That was my goal and so far is accomplished. I have often wondered if I could have been a doctor. In high school I had friends that knew they were to become doctors but I thought it was always for the ‘other’ type of people. Kids who had parents with ‘money’ or well educated backgrounds. I didn’t think it was an option for me because of lack of funds or intelligence. Obviously I lacked self motivation, determination and self esteem. Since these years of marriage to a wonderful man, that has all changed. He has always made me feel like I could do anything.

I ran x-country and track in high school, mediocrely. Again, didn’t think I could do ‘great!’. I always thought it would be great to run a marathon. Never tried, until I was married. I had just started running again after my second son and tried a 5k. Did poorly but it felt great! I told my husband I would love to do a marathon and he encouaged me to do it. So I bought a running book, and four months later, with blisters and five missing toe nails, did it! And so the running phase began.

This is just an example of how God has used my husband to teach me I can do ANYTHING I want to, no matter how silly it may sound. So for quite some time I couldn’t stop thinking about how I would have liked to have been a doctor. I believe it began as I have been giving guidance to my oldest about college, careers and his likes/dislikes. He’s interested in epidemilogy and medicine. I began getting so excited about the field of medicine and opportunities ahead of him. And it has just started gnawing at me but I thought I was too old. The thoughts didn’t go away. So I applied to a CC to get my RSN, I start in the fall. I thought that would satisfy the urge. But the thoughts of MD versus RN have been haunting me. I feel as if it would be settling. (for me anyway)

Like many others I’m sure, I googled my way here with “too old to become a doctor?”. I’m still not sure exactly what road I’m taking, or how but this site has been extremely helpful. I’ve been reading every day and taking it all in. Needless to say, I am very encouraged and have become well informed of the whole process. If I decide not to become a doctor it is not because of my age. It is not a choice to be taken lightly nor one to climb just because it’s there.

I was running the other day and thinking about this and just became so excited, “wow, I could be a doctor!” It was just an epiphany! The choice is mine. That alone is inspiring.

Nice to meet all of you!

Sincerely, sweetpea.

It is wonderful that your husband is so supportive, but please don’t count yourself out. You are the one who ran the marathon, and you will be the one who has to make it through medical school. If you didn’t have it in you, you would never have gotten this far. Great for the husband, but even greater for Sweetpea!

Welcome, sweetpea. Around here, we often say of the process “It’s a marathon, not a sprint.” I think you’ve got our metaphor beat, though .

I’d also concur with Kriss - don’t sell yourself short!

Rather than prepare long essays about “what it’s like” here in Year 1, as I get little ideas from other posts, I’ll try to throw them out.

This woman has the right idea about physical fitness. If you guys are thinking of starting in the fall of 2008, I would urge you to do anything you enjoy that will enhance your endurance and resistance. Not running marathons per se, but to be in the best shape you can be. I can tell you, truthfully, from the one-week vantage point-- if your present physical routine, substance use, sleep hygiene, and/or eating habits leave you tired all the time or frequently sick, this experience will TAKE YOU DOWN.

You Go Girl!!!