Career change at 39, pre-req confusion and dilemma

I am confused with regards to pursuing a post baccalaureate option vs a DIY approach.

Will a DIY approach take longer than a year to complete vs a post baccalaureate program which can be completed in a year at most places?

One of the med schools had the following requirements:

One year of college English to include the study of English Composition

 One year of college Physics with lab

 Two years of college Chemistry to include the study of Inorganic Chemistry, Quantitative Analysis and Organic

Chemistry with lab

 One year of General Biology with lab

 One year of college Mathematics to include the study of Introductory Calculus and Statistics

 Highly recommended: Spanish, Humanities, and Computer Skills

How does one get two years of college Chemistry if I chose to do a DIY type of study? Does it mean I have to take classes for two years?

Does taking a post-bac program involve having to leave your current profession and study full time at a university? I’d prefer to continue working and take night classes.

I live in Los Angeles and any suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated.

I have a Masters degree in Occupational Therapy and have been practicing as an OT for over 10 years now.

Getting into Med school has been on my mind ever since I was a kid, but my life took various turns bringing me to where I am now, still very much interested.

Thanks !!

Welcome desi - it’s just what you said. You get two years by taking classes for two years. However, it can be compressed into one year if you are willing to take classes in the summer semesters. This can be tough with stuff such as organic chem (with lab), and although people have done it, it can prove dangerous. Since you are in CA, doing a DIY means that you will have last priority for registration. At the publics, classes are likely to fill up before you even get a chance to register. Your options are to go community college (some schools won’t accept these credits) or take your chances with an extension program such as UCLA extension certificate program. If you are thinking formal postbacc, it is tough to get into those at publics because nearly all of those are reserved for disadvantaged. You can try the private ones but they can be expensive - USC has one. Also don’t forget the soft requirements such as non-clinical volunteering, clinical volunteering and shadowing. Good luck.

Hey there!

Thanks much for the info.

I most definitely do not want to commit to anything that does not allow me to continue working.

I love the idea of taking classes with the UCLA extension program. I will get in touch with them to see what classes I have to take. I can afford that over an extended period of time.

USC post bac is way off my budget to the point of being ridiculous I think. (I’m a USC grad myself :-/)

I already work in the health field (Work in a Trauma hospital), i’m in daily contact with doctors, interns etc. I should start looking into volunteering opportunities.

I read a few of your other posts beginning 2009, where are you currently in your journey, if I may ask?

Thanks again

Hi there!

As far as the prereq’s go that requirement usually just means 2 semesters or 3 quarters = 1 year of school. They want you to take a full year’s worth of Gchem and Ochem. That usually means taking the entire series (like Chem1A, Chem1B, Chem1C, etc). Quantitative analysis is a one semester course at my institution so I feel like that would be okay.

Also, like the other poster said, extension programs are probably your best bet. But, if you can apply to a formal post-bacc that would work too. You could also just do community college. A lot of people would tell you not to do community college, but honestly as long as you get in there and get A’s - most schools won’t care; check with the schools you want to apply to. If it is really that big a deal you could do prereq’s at a CC and then do some upper division courses at a 4 year institution.

Gluck!

Thanks BabyGotPostBacc,

A formal post bac will mean I have to stop working and possibly enroll full time. That will be a big leap for me. As mentioned extension programs are what Im looking at.

Thanks for the suggestions regarding community college.

Could you elaborate on prereq’s at CC and Upper division courses please.

Thanks again

@braja wrote:

Hey there!

Thanks much for the info.

I most definitely do not want to commit to anything that does not allow me to continue working.

I love the idea of taking classes with the UCLA extension program. I will get in touch with them to see what classes I have to take. I can afford that over an extended period of time.

USC post bac is way off my budget to the point of being ridiculous I think. (I’m a USC grad myself :-/)

I already work in the health field (Work in a Trauma hospital), i’m in daily contact with doctors, interns etc. I should start looking into volunteering opportunities.

I read a few of your other posts beginning 2009, where are you currently in your journey, if I may ask?

Thanks again

I am two prereqs away. I will be applying next June. It has been a start-stop journey for me. If the private colleges are too expensive, you could also look into CSU-LA, Cal Poly, CSU-LB and other CSUs depending on your location.

And keep in mind that since the UCs are on the quarter system, two classes will not equal the one-year sequence. You’ll typically need a 3rd class to get the typically required 8 semester credit equivalent.