Career changer with some pre-reqs complete - post-bacc vs. non-degree?

Hi there - I obtained a B.S. in Biology during undergrad (4 years ago) but spent my post-graduate career working in the financial sector. I recently decided to return to medical school. I had a 3.64 GPA during college, but still need to sit for the MCAT and take Organic Chem, Physics, and Biochem.

I’m trying to figure out what path to med school makes sense for me (and is most efficient). I don’t want to retake courses I already took during undergrad and money is a factor. However, I also want to set myself up to be a strong applicant when the time comes. Am I better off applying to a formal post-bacc program or can I get by taking my remaining pre-reqs on an ad hoc basis? I’m also considering trying to get a research position while I complete my courses…open to any thoughts you might have for me. Many thanks!

From my knowledge of formal Post-Bacc programs at the undergraduate level (for initial pre-req requirements), most won’t let you apply if you’ve taken over 50% of the post-bacc program’s curriculum. You seem to be right down the middle, having taken bio and gen chem - I suppose the best course would be to reach out to specific post-bacc programs that interest you and discuss your situation. I’m sure an enrollment coordinator can guide you on whether their specific program could work with your situation.

As for a general “formal post-bacc vs informal” debate, I imagine a formal program would have a much better shot at getting you connected to research opportunities, either at the institution you complete the program at or the surrounding area.

Additionally, a committee letter (and access to a dedicated professional pre-med advisor) from a formal program are other items you may need to factor into your cost-benefit analysis. Seeing as you’re more recently out of school when compared to some non-trads, it might be easier for you to take the time to devote to a formal program.

The general advice seems to be: sometimes you have to put yourself first and step back from your current life (and likely very comfortable finance salary), in order to achieve your dreams. You’ve got the grades from undergrad, so taking the time to fully dedicate to your studies sounds like it would prime you best for a future successful app to med school.

I hope this thought-vomit helped! Merely one perspective, so take with a grain of salt