Caribbean schools vs. other options?

Hi all!

Have been reading the posts on this site for a while and am now looking for some advice. I’m 27 years old, married, and graduated in 2006 with a B.S. in general biology. I’ve applied to MD schools once, in 2008, and did not get any interviews (which wasn’t all that suprising, considering I have a 3.0 GPA and 28 MCAT).

I was discouraged and figured I should just put med school on the shelf, but have come to the realization that I’d really like to give the dream one last go, lest I live to regret it.

So, I’m weighing my options. I was advised to (re)take some additional upper level biology courses, and do some additional volunteer/clinical work, reapply to MD and DO schools, and hope for the best. I’m wondering, though, after all this, how competitive I’ll really be against the recent grads with stellar GPAs…

It’s making the Caribbean schools look very appealing. I’ve heard many pros and cons, and am mostly worried about residency placement, which is further complicated by the fact that I’m not at all sure what field of medicine I’d like to go into (I know the residency placements for Caribbean grads that go into primary care are generally much higher than other specialities).

Any advice regarding Caribbean schools? Or, any thougts on other options, such as an NP or PA program? Thanks in advance for any feedback you may have!