Caribbean

Congratulations WHUDS,

I guess you can relax and breath for 4.7 minutes.

Nope, gotta keep revising for Step 1…so only a SHORT break!! You’re doing great Bill, so keep up the good work. We (the offshore contingent) are a tiny group here, but we’ll be good doctors too!!

Hey Nurses Rule LOL well will it be MD RN or RN MD?

Gotta think on that one! Still have over 2years!

Thanks Kathy I know you will kick that USLME in the A$$. LOL

Here, well exam round 2 in 2.5 weeks, yep it goes fast! That will be the half way mark to my semester

My roommate is a premed, 18 and will be a Doc in 5 years Here!!! Yea at 23 he will graduate MD from the school LOL. WOW!

Half way through 3rd semester check in:

Well I have made it through exams 2 out of 4 passing

Pharm, Path, psych, and Micro, working my butt off.

It seems that about 20% of my class is really really struggling and may not pass this time? But you have to understand some of these students are very weak and its no surprise to me. I’ll check in again after round three, after this I only have 1 more semester till USLME time!

Been awhile so I thought I would update whats happened, Well Pharm hasn’t killed ( Came close though) It seems I will pass everything yet again!

This does make me happy but I have one last semester in the Caribbean ahead then the big time! THE USLME!

I plan to take Kaplan review this summer then around AUG the chair! Yeah the chair I will sit in while doing the most important test of my life!

What I know of the Caribbean as a choice:

Big 4 SGU,ROSS,AUC and SABA all have California approval so they are considered all 50 states, but some states are “Case by Case” for any of them, usually not a problem. the rest of the schools. 30 of them, have different things to offer, (I go to St. James no unapproved states and a growing school) Make sure the school has a charter,WHO,ECMFG and IMED listings without these you are wasting your time.

Residencies can be harder to get into from a Caribbean school but not impossible, Some have listed a program or 2 that do not admit FMG or IMG’s into the program that is 100% true but most consider FMG and IMG’s with very good USLME step scores, just passing the USLME is not enough for all programs.

After getting the residency FMG starts to matter less and less to almost nothing the rest of your life.

It is a little harder but for those who do not do well on the MCAT and have that lower GPA but know they can do this then its a choice.

Later got finals.

UPDATE!!! MADE IT THROUGH MD3 yeah time to finally party! I haven’t all semester!

On to the last semester of Basic Science and then the big time USLME!!!

GOOD JOB

BLESSINGS

Congratulations!

Have fun & then get ready to bring it home!

Tim

Update for you all, Well MD4 started slow, we have exams in PDI on Fri and then Path2 on Mon with Immuno and EPI. WOW I have 82 days left here on the Island as I write this, I started studying for the USLME and in March I will start on qBank with Kaplan, I Graduate on April 13th, they give you a diploma for Basic Sci here. I will keep you informed about what I’m doing, We have an Upcoming Health fair and AMSA will be doing some things as well.

This yr and a half has gone by fast!

Bill.

Well MD4, my last semester is a rush! We had Murmurs “dumped” on us to learn, all common ones per valve in 2 days! We had our first exam in physical Diagnosis on Friday 1.5 hours to write a complete general case history for cardiac and then specific, I ran outta time! I finished but missed a few things.

Oh well I did my best

Then we had our practical, LOL, we were questioned during performing then asked to perform things sometimes told to stop after starting LOL

Unnerving to say the least , I don’t care I have 17yrs of nursing a test is a test! I missed a question out of about 10 not too bad I think.

We will see we get our grades Mon night LOL…

I was talking to my Path Professor, She’s an MD and found out that she practiced as a Pathologist in Iran! WOW that was not what I expected in the Caribbean. Cool, she really tries hard to teach us well also, she has taken all 3 steps already.

Well I made it through round 1 !

But I almost had a Heart attack over the 1st path exam it was really tough and we were given our scan trons to look and compare with the answer sheet in front of the professor. WOW I did not pass but then when I compared there were 6 answers marked wrong that were right, OK I DID PASS!!! I showed her and was corrected for me then others had the same problem, some 3 some 4 one 10 were marked wrong that were right. WOW the darn scantron was not working right! LOL Hand grade!

Yep It took me 24 hours to get over the first shock into Yeah I did good, the next day when the final grades were posted OMG I was in the top 1/4 of the class, the 3/4 did not pass and some were really low. Yes this is typical of the Caribbean, Like I said before, Schools that are legit you have some students who do not pass, Also Remeber Students fail not schools, and Caribbean schools is where a lot of people go with poor GPA and MCATs so I expect this. SOme of these people will end up passing though, just hope they can pass the USMLE coming up this Summer.

Bill, I was just curious…I started looking through this thread and saw that you started in January (vs. the traditional fall starting date).

Can you explain to me how your med schedule actually works out?

Krisss17

Sorry so late Krisss17

It has been fine and since we have a 3 semesters a year I was able to do 1.5 years in 1 year of time.

I’ll be out in April to study for the USMLE and then start clinicals in Sept and be done in 2 more years, we have 6 semesters of clinicals.

OK Now the downhill chase, made it through the last two tests well and 2 more to go in 5 weeks, wow what a ride to be on! LOL

Our Path Professor is taking all the questions from USMLE style Banks and I have never seen them before, they are 2nd and 3rd step questions hard as Heck!

But it seems I can handle them LOL

No hard feelings, whuds…totally understand with the courseload that you have. Best of luck with the rest of your tests.

Krisss17

Yeah the 16th was my birthday too LOL

OK I…DID it passed everything in MD4 so now I’m MS III ! YES! White coat ( done at the end of Basic Science here ) is tomorrow night, we say the oath and eat rubber chicken! I don’t care only the USMLE left then sweet sailing…More later.

Congratulations Bill!

Congrats!!!