CC

Why do people on here think CC is a bad rout to go?

I think that community colleges are, right or wrong, largely looked down upon in comparison to four year universities, for the perceived lack of quality and difficulty in their classes.

Lack of competitive students as well… right or wrong.

Sometimes I believe the better teachers are at the community colleges because they are doing what they love - teaching - not teaching because they have to in order to supplant their deepest desires which is generally, research or administrative functions.

You are going to find differing opinions on this…personally, I decided to take my prereqs, particularly organic chemistry at my CC (which will actually be a 4-yr after July 1st), because the professor is a PhD in Organic Chemistry, is a good instructor and I’ll get more 1:1 opportunity when I’m in need of assistance. Also, the class is linked with the lab while if I would take the organic chemistry in the four-yr school I’m getting my bachelors in, I might not even be able to get into the organic lab…there are something like 300 students for the lecture, but maybe only lab space for 1/3 and some of those lab seats may got to prior organic chem students.

I’ll also be able to get a better LOR than if I would go to the Uni…

While you will have a wide disperity in students, I have found that it is only those students that are able to excel that get into these higher level classes at the CC like Organic chemistry and physics.

It is also true as mentioned that the professors on a community college level are there because they do want to teach.

Another thing to understand that in order to transfer from a CC to a University major, sometimes all the prereqs are required to be complete before you start on the upper level majors requirements.

• mikebo Said:
I think that community colleges are, right or wrong, largely looked down upon in comparison to four year universities, for the perceived lack of quality and difficulty in their classes.

Perceived is right! Organic chemistry whether in a community college setting or a university setting is going to be difficult. The difference is that because of the less competitiveness in some areas such as this, when you fill the requirements to get into organic chemistry, you'll have a much smaller class than you will in a 4-yr.

Unfortunately the perception that matters is the one held by med schools’ AdCom members. And many of them do hold negative views of CC. So, what we all think here is not really the issue.

Some med schools don’t view it as negatively as others. And if it’s your best or only option, then you need to make the best of it. But be aware that it can make you less competitive even if your application otherwise stacks up well against the competition. Remember that the vast majority of applicants will have 4-year college “credentials.”

Mary

I did CC for a number of courses - I won’t say it is the best strategy, but it was the only one that was open to me from a practicality stand point.

I’m now a DO – enough said

Drumstick and lign had really great answers to the same question:

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?t…

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showpost.php?po…

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?t…

• ihopetobeado2 Said:
Drumstick and lign had really great answers to the same question:

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?t...

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showpost.php?po...

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?t...

Thanks for the link. I plan on transferring to the UofI next year and they would be my first choice for med school so it cheers me up that they dont consider CC a negative.

Thank you to all the other posters as well.

The med school I will be applying to does not consider CC a negative, but, you have to make sure you take University sciences at some point. If the U sciences are good, they view your CC science credits as being accurate.

I look forward to doing my basics at CC due to the small rooms. I know that these are my foundations for my MCAT scores. The smaller room and ability to ask questions is a great perk. I understand that my CC has a great reputation in the sciences. Their students win awards at the University. Phew! There is hope! The CC professors held a premed workshop. It was everything I knew, but, it was very reasonable and accurate. Made me feel better about them as Professors, and their concern to see their students truly succeed.

Hi, everyone.

I have made the decision to mix my pre-requisites between CC and a 4-year, mostly due to financial constraints but also the overcrowding of local 4-years in CA. I’m done with what I wanted to do at the CC, and now I’m doing the rest at the 4-year. Earlier this year, I attended a pre-med conference where I had the opportunity to chat with a few AdComs. The general feeling I got was that CC for pre-reqs was okay, especially if you took upper level sciences at a 4-year. One AdCom actually told me that 20 hours of upper level sciences is the magic number that can really help to distinguish your application, especially if you took prereqs at a CC.

To me, the subject matter is difficult wherever you take it. Now that I’m taking classes at a four-year, I have found that I am, in some ways, better prepared. I have a much better grasp of fundamental concepts than my classmates and I think its because the CC gave me a very solid foundation.

I figure that if you do well in all of your classes, take a handful of upper level science classes, do well on the MCAT, compile interesting ECs, and spin your life into a good story on your personal statement, you’ve got good shot, regardless of where you take your prereqs.

However, I do recognize that CC prereqs may limit me in some regards, but I think that limitation can be mitigated, in some respects, with some upper level science classes. Not only will that help distinguish myself, but it will also give me some exposure to some of the things that I will encounter in medical school. Pre-reqs and additional science classes are not just part of the application process, but also academic preparation. The better you learn these concepts, the more apt to succeed you will be in med school.

Just my 2 cents.

I’m mixing up the prereqs, too. Some past ones were done at a 4-yr, but the new ones (bio, ochem) are at the CC. I think applicants have to consider their overall competitiveness and the ranking of the schools they apply to. For me, the CC was a lot more accessible, I have a good previous GPA for my BS degree, and the school I want to attend is very middle-of-the-pack. The CC seems like a reasonable choice for me, but it’s definitely not for everyone.

A funny thought popped in my head. . .I remember this conversation I had with my dad when I was about 14. He said I could go to a CC for two years then transfer to a Univ. I was thoroughly disgusted by the idea of going to a CC. That was when we cut a deal that I could do what I wanted as long as I got a full-ride, and he would even buy me a new car. That’s what ended up happening, but over the past 15 years, I have accumulated 65 hrs from the same CC I was against when I was a kid.

I know, doesn’t it haunt you when you realize now that if you listened to them then, things would probably not be as hard!

I felt the same way! Here I am 44 and still not where I necessarily want to be. I mean, I met some great people along the way and probably wouldn’t have if I did go the traditional route, but still there were some tough times I would have preferred to not had to go through.