ccny vs hunter for a late starter

Hello all!

I’m a late comer to the table for the Fall 2012 academic year. Missed the deadline at my top choice, Hunter, and now I’m trying to cobble together a schedule that will get me into med school as fast as possible…

Does anyone know whether I would be better off trying the non-degree route at Hunter (and risk the crazy rush to sign up for classes, with the possibility of not getting in?) OR simply matriculating at CCNY?

Another question that I have is whether it would be possible to work full time while attending classes over summer, fall, and spring. Has anyone successfully done CCNY full time, and if so, what is the schedule for applying to med school?

The Hunter linkage option seems almost too good to pass up but starting late will place me at an enrollment date of Fall 2013, since the Spring enrollment option has (apparently, according to the site) been phased out!!!

My alma mater was Columbia and I graduated with about a 3.8. For various reasons, the postbacc route there isn’t for me, but I’m looking into other formal postbacs on the East coast as a hail mary…

Basically, I just need to get started!!!

Advice from any fellow oldpremed-sters would be much appreciated…

Rule 1: Take a Breath.

Just two quick thoughts

1. Linkage programs need to be examined carefully for conditions. They may do nothing more than to guarantee an interview maintain a 3.5 and get a 30 MCAT. I dont know hunters program, though I may be attending a function with their postbacc club

2. A DIY (do it yourself) postbacc at CCNY may fit your schedule better. Also remember that you can take your prereqs at multiple schools if that is what available.

Hi,

I’m currently at CCNY and here are my thoughts:

• dze1 Said:
1) Does anyone know whether I would be better off trying the non-degree route at Hunter (and risk the crazy rush to sign up for classes, with the possibility of not getting in?) OR simply matriculating at CCNY?

It could be a similar route considering that after taking a few classes at Hunter, you still are able to apply for their post-bacc next year. In CCNY we are basically last ones to register and classes are as competitive to get into as they are in Hunter. Well.. maybe a bit less, but it's comparable. You don't get much out of the post-bacc in CCNY other than our advisor's guidance and access to some opportunities which you would be able to find yourself with some research. Oh, you get a committee letter, but I'm sure you could get that from Columbia the way my friend did after doing a DIY all over CUNY. There is something many people don't mention, but CCNY pre-med is geared towards disadvantaged or minority students, which could be helpful or not-so-helpful depending on your situation

• dze1 Said:
Another question that I have is whether it would be possible to work full time while attending classes over summer, fall, and spring. Has anyone successfully done CCNY full time, and if so, what is the schedule for applying to med school?

It was possible for me to do so for a semester while taking two classes. The following semester, the only bio class they offered was in the morning so I had to give up on that idea. Evening summer science classes in CCNY are extremely limited as far as I know, though I didn't do much research on it. The one I'll be taking is at noon.

• dze1 Said:
2) The Hunter linkage option seems almost too good to pass up but starting late will place me at an enrollment date of Fall 2013, since the Spring enrollment option has (apparently, according to the site) been phased out!!!

The linkage program is tempting I agree, but you can still take advantage if you just take classes as a second degree student and then apply next year. At least that's what I thought- I would call to make sure.

Feel free to email me with any questions. Hope this was helpful

Haha, take a breath… Thanks Gonnif I think I needed that.

Agnieszka020, that was DEFINITELY helpful! Wow a Columbia letter- your friend must be very persistent or else have pretty amazing networking skills…

Ok, so now, I am interested in doing the postbac program at CCNY, but concerned about registration. (I’m hoping to do everything in 16 months and apply next year…yeah, still not quite sure if that’s realistic)

Checking out CCNY’s summer classes, they are indeed not heavy on night classes (nor is Hunter)…

Yeah, I checked out the linkages-- Hunter’s to Cornell seems extremely limited (2 students a year) and labor intensive, perhaps moreso than applying traditionally because you have to do everything within the Hunter system. But it does save a year. CCNY, like Hunter apparently once had linkage to SUNY… whatever happened to that?

A friend is suggesting William Paterson University in NJ… it’s a four year commuter school, a friend says the classes are excellent, but runs about 20K for out of staters. I’m thinking that would be worth it if there were no other way to finish this year, but it’s a scary sum… I’m of the school of not wanting to spend too much on the postbac, even though, yes, it’s “chump change” for a doctor… still… you never know what will happen along the way.

I’m also looking at Lehman college (which someone on this board suggested staying away from?.. I hope more of the CUNYs don’t fall under that heading because I’m liable to be taking classes all over town if registration doesn’t work out!)

Two more questions: Will going all over the map hurt my chances?

and: 16 months-- can it be done??

Thank you for the advice so far you can’t imagine how much I appreciate it

Ok, so now, I am interested in doing the postbac program at CCNY, but concerned about registration. (I’m hoping to do everything in 16 months and apply next year…yeah, still not quite sure if that’s realistic)

It’s definitely realistic, though it may be tough if in addition to your science classes, you’d have to take calculus. I’m also not 100% sure about working full time. I think in my current situation I will be able to finish everything in close to 13 months, though I had all my math and english requirements covered. You also need some luck with getting into classes, but that’s an issue with all of CUNY schools. I’m not sure if I mentioned before, but Hunter is an exception when it comes to having a priority registration for their post-bacc students.

Checking out CCNY’s summer classes, they are indeed not heavy on night classes (nor is Hunter)…

Yeah, I checked out the linkages-- Hunter’s to Cornell seems extremely limited (2 students a year) and labor intensive, perhaps moreso than applying traditionally because you have to do everything within the Hunter system. But it does save a year. CCNY, like Hunter apparently once had linkage to SUNY… whatever happened to that?

I’m not sure what happened to it… I actually haven’t heard about it. I feel like linkage programs are nice, but not enough of a reason to chose one school over another. As great as your average is, there is no guarantee that there will not be a ‘better’ student to snatch the spot from you.

A friend is suggesting William Paterson University in NJ… it’s a four year commuter school, a friend says the classes are excellent, but runs about 20K for out of staters. I’m thinking that would be worth it if there were no other way to finish this year, but it’s a scary sum… I’m of the school of not wanting to spend too much on the postbac, even though, yes, it’s “chump change” for a doctor… still… you never know what will happen along the way.

I don’t know much about NJ schools actually… I paid something over 3k for 3 classes in CCNY this semester so it’s a bargain. Though initially I had my reservations about quality of classes here, I’m very positively surprised overall. I’m not sure how much of it is the professors I had and how much of it is my drive. But I do feel like I learned a lot and I am constantly challenged though the process. Another perk for some interested is that CCNY gets 50% off on all Kaplan courses.

I’m also looking at Lehman college (which someone on this board suggested staying away from?.. I hope more of the CUNYs don’t fall under that heading because I’m liable to be taking classes all over town if registration doesn’t work out!)

I think you can take several classes in other colleges within the cuny system and still be eligible for the committee letter at CCNY. i think you need something like 18 credits to be taken in the school minimum. I know hunter is way sticker about it and allows one class only, but don’t quote me on that. I wouldn’t suggest picking Lehman for the fear of not getting into classes. The uncertainty does suck, but I don’t think it’s worth going into an inferior school (I also heard some not-so great stories about it)

Two more questions: Will going all over the map hurt my chances?

and: 16 months-- can it be done??

I don’t think it will hurt your chances if you can get a committee letter from your school. Make sure to find out what the max number of classes you can take outside of your school of choice is that does not disqualify you.

Thank you for the advice so far you can’t imagine how much I appreciate it