chem2 and orangic 1

I would like to know if it is okay to take chem 2 and organic 1 together. Those are the only classes that i will be taken next semester. Some people say it is okay to take them together.

Unfortunately, the answer is “It depends”. First of all, does your school allow you to take organic without having completed general chemistry? Many schools won’t. Secondly, the material in the second half of gen chem is usually essential for understanding/doing well in organic. So, if there are going to be topics covered in chem 2 that you are going to be expected to know from the first day of org 1, then it’s a bad idea.

In general, though, I think it’s a really bad idea to take organic without having all the necessary gen chem material mastered. Organic is one of the most (if not THE most) brutal of the pre-reqs. You want to be well prepared.

I wouldn’t do it.

A solid understanding of acid-base concepts (among others) is important to at least several of the Organic chem reaction mecanisms.

But if you decide to go ahead anyway, do let us know how it went wink

Ron

Eek. I wouldn’t even think of taking those two classes together. Not a good idea.

I would strongly suggest not doing that. Take each separately.