Chemistry

Congrats! Keep working hard!

Congrats!

Congrats!

THAT’s GRRRRREAT!!! I was thinking about you earlier this week, hoping that you would post how you did. Congratulations, what a great start to a successful premed career.

thanks to everyone. first test was great… second… well took it yesterday and we’ll see… don’t feel as confident as last one but am hoping for the best nonetheless… just wanted to say to Hakado AWESOME JOB on the second test dude!!!

Thanks! We’ll all get there. It just took a wee bit for that part of my brain to wake up from hibernation and get my “system” dialed in. My third exam appears to have gone well conceptually. Only a series of little screw-ups (wrong signs, wrong units, wrong number of sig figs, etc.) should have cost me points on that one. I should know the official results in a couple days.

The biggest factor in all of this is a very supportive spouse and family who respect the fact that I require just about every waking hour on the weekends to study.

hak

98 on Test #2. have no idea how I pulled it off with all the projects Im working on now. well “supposed” to be working on. haha my boss is out today so I’m up here in my nice high rise office by myself doing Thermochemistry and Quantum Numbers. it’s so peaceful and I can print out all I want. Oh well, after this next week and a half I’ll get back to work… seriously I promise

Outstanding!! Only three more tests to go right? If your numbers are just as good in the other stuff such as h/w, lab, etc. then that should be an easy A.

haha well I guess I spoke too soon as I just got through taking my 3rd chem test which I studied my arse off on radiation, atomic structure and quantum numbers only to find that most of the test was on Enthalpy and every kind of jumbled up problem on that you could think of…(molarity heat capacity, conversions, etc) needless to say, I did not feel comfortable and had to guess on quite a bit of the test. I hope that b/c I did poorly on this one it won’t reflect on the rest of my chemistry career. it seems like that was a chapter I just didn’t get. I knew how to do the problems on the practice test we got and calculate the Delta H and H rxn but gosh didn’t see much of that on the test. anyways, I hope not everything else from now on is going to carry on from that or else I am in serious need of a refresher. I don’t feel too bad though as those are the 2 days that I was absent from class and missed all the discussion on it. tried to teach it to myself and see what happened

• Miller J. Said:
haha well I guess I spoke too soon as I just got through taking my 3rd chem test which I studied my arse off on radiation, atomic structure and quantum numbers only to find that most of the test was on Enthalpy and every kind of jumbled up problem on that you could think of...(molarity heat capacity, conversions, etc) needless to say, I did not feel comfortable and had to guess on quite a bit of the test. I hope that b/c I did poorly on this one it won't reflect on the rest of my chemistry career. it seems like that was a chapter I just didn't get. I knew how to do the problems on the practice test we got and calculate the Delta H and H rxn but gosh didn't see much of that on the test. anyways, I hope not everything else from now on is going to carry on from that or else I am in serious need of a refresher. I don't feel too bad though as those are the 2 days that I was absent from class and missed all the discussion on it. tried to teach it to myself and see what happened

Actually, I wouldn't even really worry about that, as long as you didn't get a low enough score on the test as to hurt your chances of an A. I sure as hell didn't get quantum mechanics that well, only got like a mid B on that test, it sucked. Enthalpy isn't too bad but yeah if you're not prepared, then it might as well be astrophysics, if ya don't know it then ya don't know it. The rest of chem 1A is mostly about gas laws and matters of physical state such as solid, liquid, and gas, so it's mainly just a lot of PV=nRT equations, should be smooth sailing once you're past quantum mechanics.

Hak-

I feel your pain with the working full-time thing!!! In my experience with classes I found when i reduced my hours at work i had more time, Less stress, and better concentration in class…thus better grades. (this coming from a single mom with 2 kids who was working full-time)

Is there anyway you can reduce your hours?

Love the zen quote!!! I live by this on lately:

“It’s not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or when the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat.” ~Teddy R

Heather, that Roosevelt quote has inspired many of us, especially OldManDave, who was kind enough to share it with all of us when OPM was just beginning.

The Roosevelt quote is a great one. I’ve kept that by me since 1990 after going through a particularly rough patch in life. Still a good one to live by.

Regarding reducing my work hours, 'fraid not. I have a “gentleman’s agreement” with my boss to do whatever it takes when it comes to school and studying. He does, however, have a selective memory and I’m wanting to test it early in the process. I will call in my markers when I have to start taking the 200 and 300-level courses that are smack in the middle of my 8-5 work day. I have quite a few A’s to earn between now and then!

On an interesting side note: My chiropractor, who is in his early 30s, wants to get out of his field and become a D.0. The insurance business is killing his practice. His planned route is to take a year’s worth of courses that will get him qualified as an RN. Once he’s an RN, he figures he can work nights so he can knock off the remaining day courses he needs to wrap up what remains of his pre-med curriculum.

hak

• hakado Said:
On an interesting side note: My chiropractor, who is in his early 30s, wants to get out of his field and become a D.0. The insurance business is killing his practice. His planned route is to take a year's worth of courses that will get him qualified as an RN. Once he's an RN, he figures he can work nights so he can knock off the remaining day courses he needs to wrap up what remains of his pre-med curriculum.

hak

Now, that's a bizarre plan. To go into osteopathic medicine--great! Some DCs have made the transition successfully and bring lots of excellent skills with them. But to spend a year going after the RN degree just so he can work nights doesn't make sense. He should just keep working, do his prerequisites and the MCAT, and apply. Staying focused is the key, no matter how long it takes.

I guess if he's sick of being a chiropractor then maybe it's an appealing way out. But if it were me, I'd just keep cracking backs right up until medical school begins (in my case, it's writing computer programs).

Hmmm…can’t seem to find the feature to edit my last post. What I meant was “He does, however, have a selective memory and I’m NOT wanting to test it early in the process.”

hak

darn it! I can’t seem to crack this chemistry code. another 98 that makes 3 in a row. I guess there’s a pattern to the madness now. supposedly the next 2 tests are going to be very easy so I should cross my fingers for the A. I really wanted to take Chem. II in the 2nd summer session but the more I think about it, I have already slacked off more at work then I can afford to and will have to prove myself in the months to come to my boss b/c of my laziness on the job. haha believe it or not I still wanna keep that for now! but no I’ll take chem II in the fall as they are offereing a night course. will have more time to spread it out and even though these last 3 1/2 weeks have been hard, it’s been worth it to knock this class out so quickly. I know I said I wouldn’t do summer school again, but I’m sure I could find a bio class or something for 6 or 8 weeks that i’d tackle. still hoping to move down to part-time work once I relocate to be with my girlfriend at the end of the year. gotta find a good school to go to there to knock out the rest. as for now I’m a pleased man. even though the curve was 16 points!!! should show you how bad our class really did. we started off with 26 and now have 12 left in the class. gives a whole new meaning to the term “weeding out”

12 out of 26 left? Naw, that’s about normal for a college class that requires work. My EMT class started with about 50 and finished with only 24 people left in the class, and some of them were right on the edge of passing so I’m sure some of them didn’t.

My pre-calc class started with 36 and finished with about 12.

People just don’t want to work.

• Tim Said:
12 out of 26 left? Naw, that's about normal for a college class that requires work. My EMT class started with about 50 and finished with only 24 people left in the class, and some of them were right on the edge of passing so I'm sure some of them didn't.

People just don't want to work.

That's always bothered me when trying to get into limited enrollment classes. By the 2nd week, the window shoppers have dropped the class for a full refund, and by the 3rd or 4th week, some of the lazy or unqualified students have dropped the class for a partial refund and to avoid a "W". Before the final exam, some people are bailing to get a "W" and avoid a C- or F. Even knowing this, the prof and registrar wouldn't let me into a standing-room-only A&P class at my local state school. I had to pay a lot more and take it at the local private school--not too bad as it turned out, though.
  • ttraub Said:
  • Tim Said:
12 out of 26 left? Naw, that's about normal for a college class that requires work. My EMT class started with about 50 and finished with only 24 people left in the class, and some of them were right on the edge of passing so I'm sure some of them didn't.

People just don't want to work.

That's always bothered me when trying to get into limited enrollment classes. By the 2nd week, the window shoppers have dropped the class for a full refund, and by the 3rd or 4th week, some of the lazy or unqualified students have dropped the class for a partial refund and to avoid a "W". Before the final exam, some people are bailing to get a "W" and avoid a C- or F. Even knowing this, the prof and registrar wouldn't let me into a standing-room-only A&P class at my local state school. I had to pay a lot more and take it at the local private school--not too bad as it turned out, though.

That's friggin' ridiculous. Especially with the attrition rate of A&P in particular, they should have just let you attend the class. More than one person I'm sure failed out of it and thus freed up a spot, and probably within the first week or two of class. Grrr.

Well, the thing is, every student that takes a A&P lecture also most sign up for the lab. Due to fire code issues, no lab can be over 25 students. If these students, don’t drop within the first week (drop/add), there is not much that can be done. The one possibility in our school is that if you are willing to pay the $50 registration late fee after that first week, you might be able to get in.