Chief Resident

I've got a pretty clear idea about the types of additional duties/responsibilities of a Chief Resident - what is still kinda murky is the who, when and how of it all.
is it additional duties on the last PGY or an additional year after PGYn? I get the impression that in some programs it is rotated - e.g. Chief-for-a-quarter, PGYn for 3 quarters.
If this is something that varies between programs and specialties, what are the main flavors it comes in?
Lisa

Hey Lisa,
From what I understand, you hit the nail on the head. Chief year is highly dependent on the program and the specialty. It can be an additional year where the top resident(s) (can be more than one ie: co-chiefs) from a program are selected. (Of course the top resident may opt to skip the honor and go on to become an attending and make about $100,000 extra dollars the following year-those that accept may do so because they are considering an academic career); it can be awarded to the top resident(s) in there normal final year of training; or it can simply be what all the residents in their final year of training are called. I hope that was helpful.

Quote (LisaS @ May 25 2002,14:06)
I've got a pretty clear idea about the types of additional duties/responsibilities of a Chief Resident - what is still kinda murky is the who, when and how of it all.
is it additional duties on the last PGY or an additional year after PGYn? I get the impression that in some programs it is rotated - e.g. Chief-for-a-quarter, PGYn for 3 quarters.
If this is something that varies between programs and specialties, what are the main flavors it comes in?
Lisa

Hi there,
Chief residents can be of two types depending on specialty. In General Surgery, the Chief residents are typically residents in their last year of training (PGY-5 or PGY-6). They generally run the service and provide a great deal of the teaching for junior residents. Some places will have Assistant Chief positions for those in their next to last year of training where the Assistant Chief is the most senior resident on that particular service. Compensation is based on pay scale for year of training. At most university centers, a PGY-4, PGY-5 or PGY-6 is considered a Chief resident in surgery.
Some Internal Medicine Departments will have a designated Chief Resident position that is typically filled by a graduate of the program. This person will be paid at a higher salary (something between attending level and senior resident level)than the Senior Residents on the service. They will typically perform administrative duties. The advantage of serving in this capacity is that you have almost attending status and you can usually use this position as a springboard to establishing an academic practice. Some Pediatric Departments will have have a Chief Resident position that functions similiar to the Internal Medicine Chief resident.

Agree with above information. I’ll be chief resident this upcoming year in an internal medicine program from which I’m graduating. At least at my program, the chief hold the title of “junior faculty” but it doesn’t really effect the typical chiefly duties. I’m unaware of IM programs that utilize the 3rd year residents as Chiefs but have heard of that in surgery or programs where the number of residents in the program are very small (e.g. PM&R, etc.). At a IM chief resident national meeting, I learned that the chiefs at programs like Mass General first do a year of research before coming back and being chief for the group. Don’t know how prevalent that approach is nationwide.

congratulations peanut (and welcome to OPM boards) -
do you plan on a career in academic medicine ?
Lisa

Thanks Lisa. I’m quite interested in academic medicine. However, I really don’t want to leave the Portland area and there are only 4 IM residency programs here so I’m concerned about the opportunities. Even if it’s a temporary fix, I may end up doing hospitalist work at my current hospital as they are very involved in the resident teaching. Where are you in the process of things?

fixin’ to get ready to apply :)
I was mentally set to apply next season (Jun '03) - but I’ve recently been encouraged to apply this year (why wait) - so I’ve filled out my AMCAS but have not yet pushed the button or mailed out the transcript requests.
Lisa