Chiropractor/MD?

I am new to this site and would like to ask if anyone has information or knowledge of Chiropractors becoming Medical doctors? Thank you in advance.
Questions in Canada. blink.gif

While I can't give you specifics as to how many doctors have been chiropractors previously, I can tell you that it does happen. Just as it happens that those previously practicing podiatry, veterinary medicine, physician assistants, etc., have gone on to become physicians.
No matter what your previous profession has been, if you have a desire to progress into becoming a doctor, then go for it! A dream unfulfilled can become a nightmare, especially if it lacks fulfillment due to not trying.

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and I am a chiropractor going to medical school this fall. To answer the original post, there's really no secret way of becoming a MD or DO. You just do what every pre-med does. Have all the pre-req's, MCAT, LOR's, apply, and interview. When I was in chiropractic school, people thought that we could sit out or test out of certain classes like anatomy if any of us ever chose to go to medical school. That's false. I'll be taking all the classes like everyone else (and rightly so).

Hi,
I’m not a chiropractor, but a brother of my good friend is and what he told me was a little incredible. He graduated from Life College several years back and last year decided that he wanted to be a doctor because many of his patients said that he diagnosed their health problems better than some practicing physicians and basically said, “hey, since you know what the problem is, why don’t you just treat me instead of referring me to another doc?” Now something I never realized was that chiropractic students take just about every course medical students take during the first 2 years, with the exception of pharmacology (i think). So what did he do? He heard from a colleage about a program (http://www.uhsa.com/pstudent/dc/)at a medical school in Antigua (UHSA) that accepted his science credits from chiropractic school and promoted him to 3rd year AND is allowing him to do rotations at the University of South Carolina Medical School! He’s MS-III curently! Since he has an established chiropractic practice and doesn’t want to let it go (just yet) or hire someone else to manage it (just yet), he’s doing his rotations at his own pace. I know this sounds incredible, but I spoke to him at length about this (in person) and he’s not BS-ing. According to him in a couple of years he will receive an M.D. from the University of Health Sciences-Antigua pending successful completion of all of his degree requirements.
I don’t have aspirations for chiropractics, but I thought I’d chime in here.

Holy Cow…that is scarey! I have no problem with the idea of a chiropractor changing professions and going to MD school…but accepting science classes taught at a chiropractic college isn’t the same as taking them in medical school. You know…my mom is an NP (and I think she is a good one). She also took many of the “same” classes as medical students…but the bottom line is that they weren’t the same and they weren’t as in depth. Neither she nor I would be foolish enough to think that her graduate education would warrant her stepping into and MS3 slot. I am sure that chiropractors receive an extensive education that trains them in the end to work as chiropractors. I doubt very seriously that they spend an extensive amount of time taking in depth courses in Biochemistry, histology, etc…

Maybe I’m wrong…
kris

hmmm
I visited the website…It appears that you can also trade in your DO for an MD degree there as well…
blink.gif
kris

Hi there,
Getting an MD degree from an offshore medical school does not equate with medical practice in the United States. The person will have to do the USMLE Steps I, II and III plus the CSA exam in order to get a liscence to practice. There is also the question of residency which depends on taking and passing USMLE Step I, II, III and the CSA exams. If this person jumps through all the hoops successfully and gets through residency successfully, they are no better or worse than anyone other FMG out there practicing.
Natalie

I agree with njbmd. If someone can get through USMLE and residency through that route, then so be it. Our hours in the basic science courses may equate that of medical school (except pharmacology), but I seriously doubt that it is as in depth. I know some states look very closely at a IMG's medical education so there might be licensing issues to sort out. Also have to think about how competitive the specialty/residencies is that you want to enter.

The first year of chiro school and med school are largely similar.
However, the 2nd years are totally different. Chiro schools dont take detailed courses in differential diagnosis of organic conditions–all of their training is neuromusculoskeletal stuff with just a bare bones identification of conditions to refer out.
Regardless of how “good” that foreign program sounds, its not as good as an American med school. As an FMG, he will have a tougher time getting an american residency than someone from a US school would–also his specialty choices will be more limited.
Its always better to go to a US med school. Foreign med schools vary widely, some are OK, whereas many have no standards and are open to bribery. Some of the mexican/carib schools will take money if you dont have any college experience, dont have to take teh MCAT, dont even have to graduate from high school. It all depends on how much money you want to pay. Many of the foreign med schools are totally corrupt and scams.

the online internet correspondence schools are selling a bill of goods to folks which may prove interesting. Numerous states already won’t allow the graduates of UHSA or IUHS-St-Kitts to do residencies or license. Same thing happened to some chiropractors back in the 80’s when they ‘attended’ virtually a medical school in Russia. One needs to physically attend a school to be sure they will get licensed. Ask UHSA or IUHS to give you a list of ANY student who did the online program that has got a license since 1992…they can’t give you ONE. Heck many of their earlier students still aren’t licensed. bottom line: check with state boards and find out what they think of virtual medical schools before you spend $20,000/year to be surprised.
Read this article and see if you think this person will get licensed
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/kqvradio/s_138731.html
Call the Pennsylvania Board of Medicine and see what they tell you for example.

deanhughson,
Geeze… ohmy.gif , that Judge is insane blink.gif ! And UHSA has lost all credibility with me…I’m certainly not considering attending medical school overseas, even if I don’t get in to a US med school on my 5th attempt. I just had to include my above post as I had just been introduced to this guy and it seemed relevant to this thread.
Thanks for the post,

Hypothetical:
What if I was successfully able to pass the USMLE I, II, III + CSA by studying on my own and never going to school or doing any clinical rotations.
Do you think that by itself should be enough to allow me to practice medicine?
Why or why not?
P.S. This is just a hypothetical–I have no intentions of doing this, but I’m curious to see how far the logic of “if they pass the tests, they’re good enough to be licensed” goes

MD/PhD Slave,
Now that is an interesting & potentially mind-blowing question…May I suggest that you cut & paste your “challenge” into a new thread? I think it would make a superb ethical discussion question!
By the way, my knee-jerk reaction is No…Hell NO. But, as I am on call tonight…I will “chew” on the concept and hopefully be able to articulate a well thought out reply tomorrow or thereafter.

QUOTE (OldManDave @ Jul 22 2003, 03:37 PM)
MD/PhD Slave,
Now that is an interesting & potentially mind-blowing question...May I suggest that you cut & paste your "challenge" into a new thread? I think it would make a superb ethical discussion question!
By the way, my knee-jerk reaction is No...Hell NO. But, as I am on call tonight...I will "chew" on the concept and hopefully be able to articulate a well thought out reply tomorrow or thereafter.

OMD, your wish is my command biggrin.gif