Choosing a med school

I’m not sure if this is the correct forum for this - please move it if it’s more suited elsewhere.

My question is about Chicago Medical School (Rosalind Franklin). I’ve heard a lot of negative things about the school, and it seems to have a generally poor reputation when compared to other schools, but I’m not sure why. When I started this process, I thought I would just be glad to be accepted anywhere, but now that I have choices, I must admit that reputation/rankings/whate ver are factoring into my decision. How can a school that doesn’t seem to be well-regarded have such a good match list? My dilemma is that, so far, none of my acceptances is at a school that meets all my family’s needs, so we have to sacrifice something. Of my current choices, CMS has everything except a good reputation, which seems like a potentially major point (it also doesn’t have the ocean, but that’s a more minor point ) This could be a moot point if I get an acceptance from one of my last 3 interviews, but given the trend I’m seeing (accepted at lower-tier schools and waitlisted at higher-tier schools), I’m not expecting great news.

If there are any current residents or physicians who have had contact with CMS graduates and can add any insight into how well they perform in their residencies, or any helpful info about choosing a school, I’d love to hear it. I’m a firm believer that things are what you make of them, but I also don’t want to have to work harder to overcome the stigma, if any, of the school. Also, if their reputation is because of deficiencies in teaching, curriculum, or clinical skills, then that could also impact my ability to be competitive for a residency since ‘you don’t know what you don’t know.’ Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Switz, have you thought about asking CMS for a list of positions their alumni currently hold or a list of current students or recent grads that you can contact? I have been emailing a few current and recently graduated students at UA to get their opinions on the opportunities they’ve had as a result of their education. That may help your decision making process.

Hmmm that’s a good suggestion Shawn, particularly about recently graduated students. Would a school actually give out that information? The problem with asking current students is that they never say anything bad - there’s NO competition, everyone gets along splendidly, faculty is awesome - and I’ve gotten very little helpful info from any school via this avenue. I’ve only ever met one graduate of the school, and that’s when I was shadowing well over a year ago. I know he made negative comments about the school (I don’t recall the specifics because I wasn’t as far along in the process at the time so didn’t make a note of it), but his residency was at Shock Trauma, so it seems to me he made out pretty darn well.

I’ll see what I can find out - thanks for the tip!

I actually have heard good things about rosalinda. I heard rumors several years back that they were having financial problems, but I’m honestly not sure that is true. I can say that my physician mentor thinks highly of rosalinda. It really comes down to who you speak with. Premeds are notorious for spreading half-truths or myths don’t worry about what they say. If graduates match well then they cant have that bad a reputation among real physicians. If you do well, you will go far regardless of where you attend. Rosalinda isn’t the highest ranked school, but that shouldn’t matter if you like the school. Ultimately I think choosing the place that makes you happiest will allow you to do your best. Congrats on your multiple acceptances and interviews, it sounds like you will do great no matter where you go. Good luck with your touch decision!

Oopss…didn;t realize this was such an old post. Sorry!