Columbia spring 2012

Did anyone else apply to Columbia’s postbac program for this coming January? They have had my application for about a month so I am hoping to hear back soon (from what I hear my chances are good, I had an undergrad GPA of 3.8, but I am still nervous and want to know for sure…)

I’d love to connect with any potential future classmates here, if anyone is applying or currently in the program.

• mbeth Said:
Did anyone else apply to Columbia's postbac program for this coming January? They have had my application for about a month so I am hoping to hear back soon (from what I hear my chances are good, I had an undergrad GPA of 3.8, but I am still nervous and want to know for sure...)

I'd love to connect with any potential future classmates here, if anyone is applying or currently in the program.

We have had several members go to columbia. I would like to point out that it is one of the most competitive, cut-throat programs and be aware that you need to more that on top of your game in the program.

Yep, I have heard the rumors…I am aiming at top-tier med schools and actually went there as an undergrad too (humanities major though, very few encounters with pre meds) so I’m thinking it is a good fit for me. crosses fingers

• mbeth Said:
Yep, I have heard the rumors...I am aiming at top-tier med schools and actually went there as an undergrad too (humanities major though, very few encounters with pre meds) so I'm thinking it is a good fit for me. *crosses fingers*

My comments are not based on rumors. rather I have spoken directly to several "survivors" of the program, two of which had Columbia degrees; one in UG computer science; the other a PhD in an earth science. The comment I had from the above as well as a few others that the hardest course they ever took was second semester freshman biology. The prof announced that since the class would all be eventually taking the MCAT, he gave the exams and grades in MCAT format.

The other comment I remember is the "atmosphere" of cut-throat competitiveness of the students. No sense of community, more like a death march.

It just seems it really chews up people.

Thank you for your concern. I enjoy learning in a competitive environment – I’ve done my research and am definitely attending if I get in but I appreciate the heads-up.

Still wondering if anyone has any insight on when I might hear back and how. I don’t even know if I am waiting for an email, or Fedex or snail mail or what…

You might find more responses on other forums aimed at students who are Ivy inspired.

This forum tends to be less about Ivy and more about the actual MD/DO path.

Best of luck!

I also applied to Columbia Spring 2012. Their tracking site shows my application was received on October 15, so it looks like you got yours in much earlier than me. I haven’t heard back yet.

I’ve been accepted to NYU’s postbacc program, but I’m still waiting (anxiously to hear from Columbia). Good luck to you!

I’m currently a postbac student at Columbia with one more semester to go until I take the mcat this summer. The program here is tough, no doubt about it, but it is not going to chew you up and spit you out, you’ve just got to be confident and dedicated and you’ll be alright.

The students in the postbac program are very focused, and classes can be intense, but overall it is far from a “death march.” There is a huge sense of community, I have made a ton of friends, and I’ve been in study groups with fellow postbacs since the day I started.

The bio course here is different than any other science class I’ve taken. The teacher uses a ‘think outside the box’ technique, and some people like it more than others. I struggle with it but still enjoy it and appreciate the alternate approach the professor takes towards teaching the material. I have also heard from two alumni that the bio section of the mcat was a breeze after taking bio at Columbia, so that’s something to be thankful for!