Combined MD/MPH

Hello. I didn’t find anything on a search so I thought I’d ask if anyone else out there is considering or doing a combined MD/MPH program? I have decided to do the combined degree and so I am looking for others who are going down this road. I’m curious to know what motivates you and what your plans are.
I hope everyone is faring well. Happy Holidays!

I was considering the MPH but now I will more than likey pursue a certificate (one year) or a masters in clinical research (that Mayo offers). I am more interested in being able to conduct clinical trials and writing up my own protocols, getting grants, and making sure I get some sound data more. I was initially interested in public health due to the tremendous impact at the population level that physicians in this field can bring forth and I was also and still am interested in public policy. My change of heart has come from my desire to keep dabbling in research and this can also impact many of my future patients. I am still not sure if I will do the certificate or the masters though…we will see.

Quote:

Hello. I didn’t find anything on a search so I thought I’d ask if anyone else out there is considering or doing a combined MD/MPH program? I have decided to do the combined degree and so I am looking for others who are going down this road. I’m curious to know what motivates you and what your plans are.

Hopkins has an on-line MPH program you may be interested in. My understanding is that it’s full of MD’s and med students.

Quote:

I definitely want to do some kind of combined degree. Probably MPH. I’m also interested in taking a year out of med school and doing it the London School of Tropical Medicine. I’m not sure though–there are so many other options for combined degrees and research, I’ll have to think more about them.
By the way, I think Iowa has a good MPH program! And the have lots of great fellowships too.

Lots, if not most med schools offer a selection of accessory degrees such as MPH, MHA, MBA…KCOM offers all of these through an on-line venue.
Myself, I am doing an MPH as part of my anesthesiology residency here at Dartmouth. I this sort of arrangement is much much less common, but still not unheard of. Typically, as I understand it, it requires you taking x-amt of time off from the program to complete. I do not know whether you are paid or how that time counts/does not count toward your residency.

Dave,
Do you mind if I ask how you plan to use your MPH? or -What kind of jobs in which the combination degree would be useful?
Thanks,
Laramisa

I’m doing the MPH at U of Iowa with a focus area of nutrition and exercise. I’m very interested in the role of nutrition in disease and wanted to learn more than the basic nutrition that I will learn in medical school. Some, but not all of the courses are available online. I will be able to take a couple of online classes this spring semester before I start the MD program. This works out well since I have not relocated yet. We’re still working on finding my husband a job down near Iowa City.
I am not sure what I will end up using the MPH for, but I feel this is the best way to get started. Possibly a career in preventative medicine.