Coming out of Closet

I spent my first semester in the closet as a learning disabled gay student. I made some friends, but always felt like an other. This semester, since Jan 3, I have decided to be much more vocal about my differences. I have found mainly a sportive environment, but I have been harrassed on both accounts. I have found that the support I recieve from my friends since they know the issues way out ways the pain I feel at the open harrassment by classmates. I thought that I would share this as I am guessing that other old premeds have dealt with this similar issue and I would love to hear from them.
I don't access this website much as I lack time. Being a dyslexic, ADHD student with no prior sciences beyond the minimum, I am working very hard in medical school. So I don't mind and can even respond better to direct emails, rlansky@pipeline.une.edu.
Becky
P.S. I am very pleased with the number of posts on this forum that make it a point to be inclusive to alternative sexual orientation.

Way to go Becky!
If you ever want a national network of folks, or want info on LGBT issues you also might want to check out the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association if you haven’t already:
http://www.glma.org/home.html
I have a friend who enjoyed going to one of their conferences as a medical student… They have conference scholarships available for med students which will give you a good chance to meet some of your sisters out there (and brothers too).
And the organization can be a good source of info and data.
–boston joe

Hi, Becky! Congratulations on being out in school! At my postbac program it hasn't really come up, since I don't have much social interaction with other students there. I definitely plan on being out during med school. I've been out at work (current & past job) and have been lucky enough not to encounter any harassment for it.
What school are you attending, if you don't mind my asking?
Beth

Thanks to all of you for showing the tremendous inner strength that it requires to be “out”. Myself, I am just a boring old hetero, but I have many many gay & lesbian friends. I have witnessed the pain that they must sometimes endure for being overt. I admire & respect them, and you guys, for having the intestinal fortitude to help kick down the senseless wall of discrimination for any reason!
OPM has always been open & accepting of alternate persuasions…hell, that is what makes US unique & nontraditional. Please know that I personally support your efforts anf hope that one day, folks look back anf think, “Damn, how stupid people were back then to grieve someone over senseless stuff like race, religion, sexual orientation or disability”.

Sincerely,

Welcome, Becky!
I just want to add how tickled and proud I am of OPM'ers when I compare this 'out and in medicine' thread with some of the sad thinking I've seen on some other medical web sites. How nice…

1 Like
QUOTE (Lanskyb @ Feb 9 2003, 01:41 PM)
I spent my first semester in the closet as a learning disabled gay student. I made some friends, but always felt like an other. This semester, since Jan 3, I have decided to be much more vocal about my differences. I have found mainly a sportive environment, but I have been harrassed on both accounts. I have found that the support I recieve from my friends since they know the issues way out ways the pain I feel at the open harrassment by classmates. I thought that I would share this as I am guessing that other old premeds have dealt with this similar issue and I would love to hear from them.
I don't access this website much as I lack time. Being a dyslexic, ADHD student with no prior sciences beyond the minimum, I am working very hard in medical school. So I don't mind and can even respond better to direct emails, rlansky@pipeline.une.edu.
Becky
P.S. I am very pleased with the number of posts on this forum that make it a point to be inclusive to alternative sexual orientation.

Hi there,
One of my classmates underwent the same experience as you did. She "came out" during second year and was promptly shunned by a couple of her study partners. One individual made a point of never speaking to her again. She was devastated. I remember chatting with her during one of our class breaks because she seemed so sad as she explained what had happened. My first instinct was disbelief but after speaking to the other person involved, I realized how narrowminded this person was. I never had the same respect for the narrowminded person as before. I found it very difficult to understand how this person could be so discriminatory.
My friend who came out out graduated with us after overcoming some incredible obstacles and has since entered a pediatrics residency. She had the courage to tell us, her friends and classmates, about something that was very personal but very much a part of who she was. I felt so badly that some folks took her openess as an opportunity to discriminate against her. Another person in my class, who was "in the closet" was her most verbal abuser. Go figure? I can't ever understand how one person could openly harass another person about anything.
We live in a very heterogenous society. If we were all the same, how boring it would be! When I was at GW, there was a very active and open group of Gay, Bi and Lesbian students. There was also an active group of Gay, Bi and Lesbian Students in Medicine there. They did lots of community service projects and fund raisers for organizations such as the Whitman-Walker Clinic and the Pediatrics AIDS Foundation. I went to their retro-prom, and Halloween Party as these were classic, campus-wide events that drew hundreds and raised lots of funds for great causes. I hope that you can find such a group in your school because it is great to have the support of folks who have been through similiar experiences.
Support groups are great but if not, you are a "trail blazer" for someone who might not have the courage to undego what you have gone through. You may find that you may be an inspiration for someone who is feeling so isolated because they have not been able to come to terms with their differences. You can always hook up with national organizations and gain some support there.
Good luck with your quest and let us know how you are doing!
Nat

Just like our country, we draw strength from diversity! We should revel in our variety!!

1 Like

Becky, I don't think anyone should be castigated for anything related to them personally whatsoever. It shows a lack of consideration for others emotions and welfare to treat them with a serious lack of respect and courtesy.
Good luck in school.

1 Like

Way to go Becky!
Stay positive and you will be able to overcome anything!
And remember those people who are negative towards you are just ignornant! There are so many people out there who will embrace you for who you are! I think ‘coming out’ takes a lot of guts and I respect you for that. Best wishes in all that you do!
biggrin.gif

1 Like

Becky,
I cannot imagine how hard it must be to be concerned with something that is an integral part of your being. Having been “behind” in basic sciences myself, with a severe math block, as well as being harassed and pre-judged for my weight, I can understand a little. Some might say, “oh well, she could lose the weight”, but food is not optional, like cigarettes or alcohol, and its damn hard to deal with. Just know that you have the support of OPMers, who are a really diverse bunch, in age, size, race, religion, and all of those other ways that SHOULD NOT matter! Good luck to you. I hope to meet you at the conference in DC!
Kathy
OPM President

1 Like