Coming to the End

I just got my first residency interview under my belt, with another 11 to go, before Match Time. It is only 174 days till I’m an MD.

The listserv has been invaluable, in showing me that I’m not alone in my career change. Advice for the folks who are farther back in this project: there comes a time when you’re not weird anymore. Speaking from experience, a 32-year-old premed sticks out. A 35-year-old med student REALLY sticks out. But a 39-year-old resident? Is just another doctor. I’m really, really looking forward to the period of being ordinary, with nothing to explain.

Congrats Matt!! There will probably be a day when your team’s attending is younger (or at least looks younger than you), when you are on rounds and your patient keeps looking at you for approval for what your attending is saying.

Congratulations!

I am a new member and an aspiring medical doctor. I feel special and priviledged to be on this journey as a nontrad. It is a priviledge to be able to aspire to pursue medical school at any age as life does not afford this to everyone. I do not feel weird as a pre-med, nor will I feel weird during and after medical school for who I am. There will always be “uncomfortable” circumstances we’ll be faced with in life. Being a nontrad is one of the very things that makes me unique. I don’t see it as being weird or something I want to look forward to no longer being once I’m in residency. What’s so wrong with “sticking out”? Our great nation was built and has greatly progressed by those who stuck out! As a new poster again congrats and much success completing medical school and residency!

This part of med school is one of the most fun, Matt! Enjoy every minute. Even your 12th interview.

Hey Matt!

When I was applying to med school, you were applying for the second time. I remeber when after I read your post in which you said if that time didn’t work out again, you were going to find something else to do. Since I was younger and I guess “less discouraged” there were moments when I was cheering for you more than for myself :).

And here we are - 4 year later begining our interview trail. I’ve actually run into two folks from your school and they both had great things to say about you!!!

I had my first 4 interview last week. 11 more (or more???) to go! I’m already exhausted, but I’m having a tone of fun!!!

And it looks like you’re going to become an MD before I do. As I’m typing this, my ticker shows 186 days!

• In reply to:
there comes a time when you're not weird anymore. Speaking from experience, a 32-year-old premed sticks out. A 35-year-old med student REALLY sticks out. But a 39-year-old resident? Is just another doctor. I'm really, really looking forward to the period of being ordinary, with nothing to explain.

Very good point! Congrats.

• In reply to:
Congrats Matt!! There will probably be a day when your team's attending is younger (or at least looks younger than you), when you are on rounds and your patient keeps looking at you for approval for what your attending is saying.

SO funny! But I can see how it can be percieved! Sweet!

Miss Kasia, I am really happy that you’ve bumped into friends of mine on the interview trail. It is a small, small world-- there are 17,000 MD graduates per year in the US, the size of a small town.

Who else is matching on March 17 besides Kasia (Surgery) and me (Internal Medicine)? Put your name and specialty in the replies below!

Wow, I can’t believe Match Day is coming so fast!

Guess it’s just the two of us, Kasia! They gave us the banner at the top and everything…

Best wishes to you!!

Before you know it you’ll be like Denise and me (and a couple others on here I believe) who will be turning the corner of intern into second year resident in just a couple of months. For me, intern year has been at times exciting, at times scary, at times exhausting, at times overwhelming, but always rewarding.

Enjoy the last few months before you become practicing physicians! IMHO, it only gets better after July 1st!!

sooooo…did you match???

Yes!!!

Both of us did! Matt and I.

Now we have to be patient for one more day to see where we’re going next!

• MattFugazi Said:
Guess it's just the two of us, Kasia! They gave us the banner at the top and everything...

If you're lucky, you'll get a big, wet sloppy kiss too!

Where did you match?

Boston University Medical Center. My number one rank!

Congrats, Matt. That is awesome!

Congratulations!

that’s great. Into what type of medicine?

• MattFugazi Said:
Boston University Medical Center. My number one rank!

Way, Way, Way, Cool Matt............

gonna come back to speak at another conference?

Staying in VCU for General Surgery!!!

Yay!!!