Commitment to Underserved Areas

Does anyone recall if there is a way to indicate this on AMCAS, other than stating it in your PS ? I I wonder how medical schools know this about you unless you state it in your personal statement.

Quote:

Does anyone recall if there is a way to indicate this on AMCAS, other than stating it in your PS ? I I wonder how medical schools know this about you unless you state it in your personal statement.

Hi there,
Some people do volunteer work with underserved populations and this may indicate interest in future practice with these populations. You might also have one your your LOR writers comment on your commitment to underserved populations. Other than your personal statement/LOR and your answers to questions during your interview, there is little in your GPA transcript or MCAT scores that would indicate your interests.
Natalie

If you want to serve in an underserved area, then your whole application will relect that. The PS and LOR’s are two already mentioned. Extracurricular activities/Jobs will also show your commitment (ie. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, missions to reservations or third world countries).

I also have an interest in working with the underserved. I have found that after filling out 22 secondaries so far, that a lot of the schools have either an essay that you might be able to address this in or a space in the secondary to put in additional comments not in your PS. Hope that helps.
Marcia

As Marciah said, most of the secondaries either ask you point blank if you’re interested in working in rural/underserved areas or allow you to write in an essay.