Community College woes?

So my issue at community college is not the level of instruction because it’s pretty good. My issue is that every dang conversation is about how arrogant physicians are and how much better nurses, PA’s, NP’s,…anyone else who is not a doctor. These folk are actually proud in their humility?

Anyhow…just venting in between classes. I’ll come back and explain further…

I think that what they say has some merit, but definitely not taken to the extent that they obviously have. Just due to the difficulty it takes to become an MD/DO, it will attract/create some very arrogant people. I think some people’s insecurities exaggerate the level of arrogance in their minds to make themselves feel better. Vent on.

As a product of a community college myself, I sure do get awfully tired of those conversations.

Why can’t they have intelligent conversations like…how to beat Contra without the Konami code.

I didn’t have this problem at the community college I attended back in the day. But I have taught quite a few pre-nursing students and have seen this “attitude” at the University level.

I think (or would like to think) that some of it is using physicians as the standard they are measuring “X” against. A really good nursing assistant is “almost as good as a nurse” and probably being encouraged to become one.

Some medical students, and physicians needing CME’s, in an act of humility, will take ATLS from respiratory therapist or Paramedic instructors. After all, Paramedics should be the end all experts in actual use of ATLS, right?

[Making physicians the measure of advanced level students they can teach.]

the paramedics/RRT’s then repay that humility by bragging to anyone who’ll listen that they can “even teach physicians and med students…”

First, I think its dangerous to paint any group with a wide brush and there are plenty of great Dr’s, PA’s, and nurses.

That said, oh wow, I work with several nurses and I have never seen a cattier, nastier group of women in my life! Its like being around a bunch of sorority girls. Dont get me wrong, I do agree with the arrogant Dr. comment, but lets not forget about some others in the medical field lol.

Sitting here listening to yet another group on the greatness of allied health and how corrupt the medical establishment is because of physicians…and…wait for it…wait for it…President Bush???

Back to studying. I’ll update tonight hopefully. These reaction rates are kinda not clicking right now.

In every conversation it is not the merits of allied health but why physicians are inferior. One rather proud young lady said she will never call a physician by their title, “only once they’ve earned it…”. Say whaaaaaaa???

I figure it’s because they are at a CC so they have to make themselves feel better by denigrating others. They seem to have chips on their shoulders so they are quick to offer an explanation when a simple yes or no would do. I wonder what the response would be if I said that a Muslims are terrorists and that’s why I’m a Christian? I’m sure I know the answer to that but it would be interesting to see if they would make the connection to their own stereotype of physicians.

Then there is the lack of manners… I’ve also noticed that its to my benefit to let professors and students know I have a graduate degree. The difference in treatment is almost palpable. It’s a shame but it is what it is.

• Julio Cesar Said:

Why can't they have intelligent conversations like...how to beat Contra without the Konami code.

They can't because obviously that is a top 10 US News school conversation.

I’m with Julio and Matt on this… just nodding and smiling through this whole thread. Croooz… just smile and nod at them. You aren’t competing with them, you are competing with yourself to do the best you can.

And on a personal note… pretty sure you don’t know what acronym you meant to use there eirkr1… but I’m pretty sure you got it wron… /smile /nod. Humble, humble I go…

Oh and Croooz, you said “I figure it’s because they are at a CC so they have to make themselves feel better by denigrating others.” … don’t forget the you are ALSO taking classes at a CC. Remember step one… Breathe. You are already denigrating the same system by which you intend to learn.

• Shazaambio Said:
Oh and Croooz, you said "I figure it's because they are at a CC so they have to make themselves feel better by denigrating others." ... don't forget the you are ALSO taking classes at a CC. Remember step one... Breathe. You are already denigrating the same system by which you intend to learn.

I don't know about Crooz, but I don't really "get" this post.

Yeah, I "get" that i don't need to "get it" but you MUST be new and unfamiliar with Crooz's sarcastic HUMOR.
  • Shazaambio Said:
Oh and Croooz, you said "I figure it's because they are at a CC so they have to make themselves feel better by denigrating others." ... don't forget the you are ALSO taking classes at a CC. Remember step one... Breathe. You are already denigrating the same system by which you intend to learn.

I don't follow your logic. How does my issue with the students denigrating physicians equate to my "denigrating the same system by which {I} intend to learn?" Issues with the behavior of students does not equate to issues with the educational system. Should I assume that my first sentence was unclear? Am I missing the joke?

I apologize for anything I said that is deemed as offensive to you, Croooz, sincerely.

I think my logic was not so much that you had an issue with students denigrating physicians because they intended to join a different section of healthcare, but because you specifically said that you figured this attitude came from students being at a CC, as opposed to this being the attitude of any student in nursing school, or nurse practitioner school, or in pharmacy school, allied health, etc.

I don’t attribute this sort of ‘anti-authority’ sort of thinking to the students being in a CC, but rather because they are trying to make others understand their particular role and it’s importance to the system, and because they simply need the ego boost to keep going. I’m not saying it’s right, I’m just saying that it isn’t a consequence of being in a CC, it’s a consequence of taking classes that include a wide spectrum of students that aren’t necessarily pre-med.

That you associated this sort of attitude with being at a CC as opposed to experiencing the same attitude at any 4-year school seemed a bit ironic to me. Simply put, ‘haters are going to hate’, and that has nothing to do with being at a CC, in my humble opinion.

I appreciate you Croooz, and I am rooting for you. I just wanted to clarify what I was thinking, and I apologize for making this such a long post.

Thanks for the clarification and where I wasn’t clear. However I wasn’t offended so don’t worry about that. I have very thick skin and nothing you said was even close to what I would classify as offensive. I just didn’t understand. I get it now and see where your logic is coming from.

My “woes” are not the CC but the attitude in every conversation that thankfully I’m not in. Things have gotten a lot better now that I study in the “quiet study room.” The conversations are still going on but I don’t have to hear them. Now my goal is to encourage those around me who seem to want to become physicians but have the advisor telling them they don’t have what it takes. One girl has a 3.5c and 3.75s and yet the advisor told her she doesn’t have a chance and should look into something else!?!?!?!?! I get that she won’t be a shoe-in but that she doesn’t have a chance and should look into non-science fields? I want to drop in on this guy and see what’s going on. Because of this I’m thinking about becoming an official mentor at the school. I met a version of this guy when I went to look at schools in 2000. It’s the reason we didn’t move to Florida and pretty much got turned away from the idea of medical school.