Concerns about getting into Medical School

Hello, and welcome!
Tell me more about your path to med school and how you decided on your particular school. Where else did you apply? How did you decide on the school you’ve chosen?

I may have already writen but have you looked into Mexico for a med school.
There’se a new school just about to open:
www.medschoolgroup.com
Check it out.

O.K. I had no idea where my mail had gone. I didn’t think they got posted. Talk about looking weird. I said the same thing three times. But hey, maybe someone will get to be a doctor because I screwed up.
I’m new to this site and didn’t know if my mail had gone into limbo or the wrong address. That’s what happens when you get to an advanced age.
When I was young… I forget that far back.
But one way or an other I’m going to med school if I have to fly to the other side of the planet and live in a grass hut.
Just don’t give up if it’s hard. If it was easy there’de be lots of doctors and we’de be looking for a chalenge in life.

Let’s See.
I think your asking me. Or someone else??
Any way here gose.
I wanted to be a doctor after I first became an EMT back in 1983. Just a taist of medical stuff but it got my interest.
However I was working as a painter and not making a lot of money.
But once a dream takes hold it lives a long time.
I looked into UTMB but wow there’s a bill to pay.
So I stayed with the EMS stuff and tried to make a living at a Fire Station.
Then I discovered the fun and exsiting world of Federal Law. Cary a gun and chase people.
BUT that just wasn’t me. I got into the Border Area Rescue Team. Founding member. AND became a Para-Doc. Get to do more BUT still not a doctor.
Durring my trips to the hospital I worked around Dr. Sand a lot and I guess he liked my way with patients.
He had been trying to start his oun medical school since 1985. He finaly got roling last year and I was the third person he asked.
The cost is half as much as a US school. You can live in the US. The classes are all in English. AND you only go for three years. No summer vacation.
How could I say no.
The school is supposed to start on January 2005. The web site need to be up dated.
There. I hope it was me you were asking. If not I screwed up agan. But that’s life. You just keep practising till you get it right.

Yup! It was me! Good luck with your journey! Even though you know the guy, and he’s become a friend, take your time sniffing out the accreditation situation and satisfy yourself that you’ll be able to get into the residency you want when you finish. (This obligatory Denise-not-minding-her-own-business moment was brought to you by the letter D.)
Yup, sometimes that dream just won’t die. We’ll just keep plugging away until we get there. I’ve got about a year of prereqs to finish myself.

I am a new member to the geezer club here. I mean geezer in the most endearing sense, of course. I’m soon to be 33 on August 29 of this year, the same birth date as the notorious Michael Jackson, thank you very much. (I probably shouldn’t tell people that, huh? I’ll certainly keep that tidbit off a Med school app.) Anyway, I am almost 33 and in today’s society that makes me a fledgling geezer, or a geez, analogous to a chick being a baby chicken. What I mean, is that you don’t really have to go far to be over-the-hill nowadays. I blame advertising strategies and celebrity makeovers for this damned youth obsessed American culture of ours. OK…let me amble away from my diatribe mode before things get out of control and we all get our feelings hurt.
OK…I’ll get serious. I’m overwhelmed with this website. Whoever came up with this is a friggin’ genius and godsend and all around swell person. I’ve been scouring around the threads for hours just drinking all of this in. There are actually other people out there like me!! I’m not alone in this quest; in this crazy, maddening dream to recapture the potential I let waste when I was younger. A couple of you (OldManDave and Mary Renard, MD) already seem like legends to me, and I’m sure there’s more where those came from, I just haven’t found y’all yet. Thank you for existing each and every one of you.
I guess it seems appropriate to give a bit of my background so here goes the medium-to-medium well version. I come from a small, rural town, dirt-road neighborhoods and the whole shebang. Raised by my grandparents who were pretty strict in their religious beliefs, and I grew up sort of believing that loving God was all I should do. Everything else was secular, worldly, and wrong. To an extent, where I come from, that included high-minded ideas like going to college, much less becoming a physician. I like to think that I had an intellectual curiosity about me, but to tell the truth, there was no encouragement for it. I sort of just drifted into the crowd of mediocrity and the status quo of simple mindedness that is Stonewall, Louisiana.
I never once considered post-secondary education when I graduated high school. However, I did have dreams of accomplishment. Dreams of doing something important, meaningful, and everlasting. So I began to write. I’m about 21 at this time and I felt that writing was a noble endeavor (I still do). But as I began to write I also began to read. A lot. And I found that the more I read the more I learned, and the more I learned the more I was curious to know. I know this sounds weird, because reading and writing aren’t exactly extraordinary verbs, and it isn’t like I didn’t know how to do these things before, but I suddenly began to appreciate the power of these under valued influences on the life of the mind for the first time I can remember.
Now, being raised in a Christian home, and in the southern Bible belt nonetheless, I knew what it meant to love my neighbor, and quite honestly, I’ve always had a compassionate heart. Perhaps some of it is nurture, but it always seemed natural to me to want to take care of a person who is suffering. I genuinely care for people, even though at times they are rotten, including this one right here, but nothing feels more gratifying than relieving someone else’s pain. I won’t drag this on with specific examples, but I hope y’all will take my word for what I’m saying.
So, by the time I was around 23 I realized I had these dual motivations of intellectual curiosity and human compassion, and this was the first time I can recall wanting to become a doctor. I was actually sitting on the bank of our pond throwing dirt clods at the water when this thought came. Later that week I told my grandfather (whom I called Papaw, as do many southerners) that I was thinking of finding out what it takes to become a doctor.
You would think that might make him proud, but it was quite the opposite. He raised his voice. He shook his head. He took to putting his finger in my face. He quickly launched into deflating the very notion of heading off for college. He got flat out belligerent about it, and even told me I needed to get it out of my mind that I was better than him and all the rest of the people we knew. This is not some sad story either. It’s the truth. He said, “Boy, you’re country and you’ll always be country,” meaning my place was not in fancy schooling, as he might say. We argued about this many times, and he said many more things that I’m too ashamed to report because no one’s father, or Papaw, should say those kinds of demeaning things.
I eventually had to move out. I enrolled in a small satellite campus of LSU, which is in Shreveport, Louisiana, and I have to say I was grossly under prepared. Being 24 years old at the time it had been almost 7 years since high school graduation. I took a remedial math class and promptly made an F in it. I made a C in Biology and the lab. I just quit going to class because I was so intimidated by the atmosphere of the college classroom. I was out of my league and sinking already into depression because of it. By the end of my first year I ruled out becoming a doctor because I just didn’t seem to have the academic chops for it. Maybe my Papaw was right; I would always be country.
I began to seek an English degree, concentrating on reading and writing since it was what had originally awakened me intellectually. I did OK but not great. I sort of struggled because not only was I becoming depressed, I was working full time and going to classes part time. I actually had several periods where I worked two jobs at once while attending school. I know it’s possible to work and take classes at the same time but I think that in combination with my background and uneasiness adjusting to college, working so much only helped contribute to a less than exemplary GPA. And to tell the truth, I was real naïve about how the whole GPA thing worked, too. I just didn’t understand the ramifications of a C or a W on my transcript. Hell! I didn’t even understand what a transcript was.
This period in my life went on for approximately 5 years. I knew I had the brains to do anything but I didn’t have the confidence, or, frankly, the drive. I was at the end of my frustration. I could never get over the feeling that I was settling for second best and performing at third best. So, I did what any person not being happy with themselves would do, I joined the Army. Actually, I had gotten married right before joining the Army, so the military was also a way of helping to provide for my wife, and also a way of getting my college loan debt paid back by the government. I was 29, only 90 hours into a degree, and had a 2.8 GPA.
In many ways the Army was a big mistake. It was just taking me farther from my goal, but at the same time I don’t think I even knew what my goal was at that point. I was your proverbial lost puppy. But I will say this- the Army pushed me to do things I never thought I could do. I ran 5 miles for the first time. I became a Chinese linguist. I made it through basic training, which in and of itself is accomplishment enough. I suppose that these things taught me things about myself. I think that I finally learned that nothing rewarding is easy. That is so basic, but hard to come to terms with at the same time. At least for me it was.
I was only in the Army for 2 years and 3 months because I was honorably medically discharged for depression. Yep. It got me in a major way. I had been depressed for years without knowing it. Probably close to a decade. My grandparents both died within that 2-year period that I was in the Army, and it seemed unforgivable to me that I hadn’t been there with them for so long. They died too soon to see me make something good of myself and I had really wanted that. It would have been good for all of us. I became suicidal because the idleness of my life, the unnfulfillment of my pot

ential, was all I could suddenly see. I hated myself both for the things I had done and for the things I hadn’t done if that makes any sense.
The good news is I started taking medication and it totally changed my life around. I’m a firm believer in the stuff. I no longer take it but it got me through a really rough patch. I started back to finish my undergrad in spring of 2003 at the University of Delaware at the ripe old age of 31. My wife and I discussed at length the topic of me trying to go the med school route, but ultimately decided it was too much time to put our lives on hold at this age. Maybe if I could go back to 25 I would do it, but not after 30. We have a daughter who is counting on us to feed her, after all. (Oh yeah. I have a beautiful baby girl. Isabel. She’s 2 and a half now)
I’ve been seeking a triple major of English (might as well finish what I started there) Communication, and Psychology. I’ve been through three semesters so far and 52 hours of classes. My UD GPA is 3.9. This past semester I had 21 hours and finished with a 4.0. I’m not saying this to brag, but I’m saying it because I have finally come to a place in life where I know what I want and I know what I have to do to get it. My wife and I have recently rethought our future. She is so impressed with how I’ve done academically that she knows it would be a shame not to give medicine a shot, especially since it’s what I’ve really wanted for so long. I just have to see if it is really my calling, because that moment on the bank of the pond when my heart connected to my mind will not let me go. It beckons. My wife believes in me, and, thank God, I finally believe in me. Now, all I have to do is do well in the prerequisite classes and on the MCAT so I can get a Med school applicant review board to believe in me.
Wow. I’ve practically written a letter of application here. Well….I can be verbose. It’s the English major in me. I look forward to reading more from you guys and becoming a part of this unique community. My best wishes and hopes are with everyone.

Thank you for posting your story - very interesting. Welcome to the club!! You’ll find a great bunch of people here eager to lend a helping hand to people following their dream of becoming a doctor.
You have made such stellar progress in college and I have no doubt that you will succeed in the prerequisite courses, tasks, and preparations - especially if you continue with the same motivation, hard work and determination.
I wish you all the best in your quest!

This is so weird! I’m from Shreveport! And my dad lived in Stonewall up until a few years ago! I got out of LA when I was young when my mom remarried into the Air Force. I’m 33, too, and depressed (well, I like to think that I’m a recovering depressive).

My dad’s family sounds so much like your grandparents. I grew up away from them and every time I’d visit, I’d get the feeling that being educated wasn’t high on their list of acceptable goals. By the time I was a teenager, I just quit visiting them unless I had to, since I obviously thought I was so much better than them (sarcasm!). Even my vocabulary sets me apart from them, and I feel as if I am a stranger; I haven’t seen any of them in years. And when I visit my dad, I just get sad. It’s amazing that my parents ever got together in the first place.

My brother elected to live with my dad and eventually joined the Army. He’s as smart as I am (works in medical electronics), but my dad told him that he was stupid and he believed it. The damage something like that can do to one’s psyche is so difficult to overcome. If I had stayed in LA, I probably would be working at the trash bag factory. Thanks, Mother!

About depression- I think I’ve been depressed since I hit puberty. A series of nasty events eventually led me to treatment (blessings in disguise) and I am doing so much better now. I never would have applied to medical school if I had not sought treatment for my depression.

Anyhow, you aren’t so odd after all and welcome to OPM.

A fellow coonass,

Selina aka Runtita

PS. Not to say that trash bag factory workers are not a valued part of our society…

Hi Everyone,
I just joined and am very excited about this site. I’m 27 and desperataly seeking ways to redeem myself after graduating from college 5 years ago with a very LOW gpa - 2.4. I did so poorly b.c I did nothing but socialize and party. I’m now regreting it! I’ve have always wanted to become be a doctor but gave up on the idea after college. Recently it is all I can think about doing. Anyway, I’ve been looking into Post-Bac programs but even those seem unattainable for me b/c most require certain gpas. I live in Boston, BU and Tufts both require at least 3.3 undergrad gpa for their post bac programs. Any advice as to what I should do. I was thinking about just taking classes informally but i was told I need a pre-med advisor.

Taking classes informally is not out of the question. With the low gpa you’re coming in with, a second bachelor’s might be a good idea, especially if you can find a subject that makes your eyes shine. (A second bachelor’s uses quite a few credits from the first one, so you’re not looking at another four years.) Who told you you needed a pre-med advisor, and what did they say you needed one for? Enquiring minds want to know!
You could seek the advice of a professional pre-med counselor to map out your strategy, of course. With the money you’re about to spend on tuition, a couple of hundred bucks is a drop in the bucket. But you could also take your first pre-req course as a special student at the affordable university of your choice and see how you do.
Welcome!!!

Hi Dave,
I just joined and I’m happy to know you succeeded. I’m in the same boat you were once in. I graduated with a 2.4 gpa 5 years ago. I always wanted to be a doctor but gave up on the idea after partying my way through college…what a waste of time and $$$!! Anyway, I would be willing to retake everything! I didnt complete any of the pre-med req’s anyway. I’m certain I can do well in them if I try! I hate to admit it, but my book $ went to cocktails instead of books. (My parents would kill me!) I think a second bac degree would work for me exceot for the fact that my gpa is too low to get in anywhere, isnt it? How did you go about doing it? I’ve looked into post bac programs and many of them in Boston (my hometown) require minimum gpa’s of 3.0-3.3…What advice can you give me?

I was told I should have a pre-med advisor to help with course selection and writing rec’s.
How do I apply for a second bac degree? I’m concerned I wont get in anywhere with my low gpa.

If you already have a bachelor’s degree, you can apply to most universities as a non-degree student. At my university, they didn’t even require a transcript. I also am high-up on the scheduling food chain. If I chose to become a degree seeking student now, it would be much easier because I have the grades from the courses I have taken as a non-degree student to help my cause.
Go talk to some people at universities you are interesed in attending. Different universities have different policies for admitting people who already have a degree. You need to find out what they are.
As far as a pre-med advisor - yes, it helps, but is not totally necessary. There are many excellent resources out there if you know where to find them. Also, keep in mind that once you enroll somewhere, you will have access to that university’s advisors. I was able to meet with a pre-med advisor at the university I am attending now before I even applied.
Good luck.

Quote:

I was told I should have a pre-med advisor to help with course selection and writing rec’s.
How do I apply for a second bac degree? I’m concerned I wont get in anywhere with my low gpa.

There’s a difference between a formal post-bacc program (which you might, indeed, have trouble getting into) and doing post-bacc work at a university near you as a special student, non-degree-seeking student, or enrolling as a bachelor’s degree-seeking student in a subject that fascinates the the living whosit out of you. Doing one of the latter two should be possible with a 2.4 gpa.
I’m doing my own informal post-bacc, special student status, and the pre-health/pre-med advisor is happy to talk with me.

Dear All,

I’ve read through many of these posts and I am truly inspired by all your stories. So, I would also like to share my story (although i warn you, it may not be as interesting).

I, too, recently decided to pursue my dream in the medical field. Although I’m probably still considered young by many of you (just turned 23 yrs old), and there probably is no reason why I should be worrying, I was quite lost after deciding to change my major, and I felt like I was wasting a lot of time and money pursuing a career that could possibly make me even poorer than I am now So I was really glad to have found this site, which has given me the confidence I need, after reading everyone’s stories of pursuing their dreams.

Back in high school, I did relatively well in all my science courses, but when it came time to choose a major for college, I backed out of science because of all the horror stories about “failed” med students and the lack of sleep med students face. So, I graduated from SFSU in 2004 with a dual B.A. in International Relations and Economics with honors. I found the subjects interesting enough, but soon lost my interest when I went for my Masters in Intl Relations at UCSD. My loss of interest (equals lack of studying) and a couple of other problems factored into my low unsatisfactory GPA. Needless to say, I came back home, and for a semester, I’ve been taking care of my sister, 31, who has had MS for 12 years now, and doing physical therapy and recreational therapy with her. I had planned on attending Monterey Institute of International Studies to finish my IR Degree just for the heck of it, but after realizing the financial costs adding up on my existing loans, and leaving my sister, after 11 years of helping my parents take care of my sister (parents are not as strong as they used to be, so I do the heavy labor of carrying her and exercising with her, helping her get to the bathroom, etc. etc.), and after watching her go back in and out of hospitals after an attack year after year, I couldn’t see any other wish besides doing research on MS and other disorders and help finding a cure or at least improved alleviation methods. I was actually inspired, believe it or not, by a dream I had when I was in grad school. I have done some research on schools, and after browsing through many programs, I find that I’m really interested in UCSF’s Neuroscience program. I’m starting to take pre-med classes at my local CC, and then transfer to SFSU while working and volunteering. I’m still quite unsure about admissions requirements for the Neuroscience program, because I know medical school and general graduate programs are slightly different. I’ve tried to contact the Neuroscience department through both phone and e-mail, but alas, no response. If anyone could help me on that question, it would really help me out a lot!

That leaves me here today, nervous, but excited on embarking on a new adventure, and determined to find a cure for MS to help my sister reach her dreams of being able to walk again and going back to school to finish her college degree. Although I get support from many of my friends, I know that everyone is skeptical of me pursuing yet another major after hopping through so many different fields (did about 4 major changes in undergrad). My family also tries to support me as much as they can, although they can’t understand why I don’t just get an MBA and make money and help out with the financial problems at home instead.

My experiences in this field or even life definitely doesn’t add up to the experiences that many of you went through, so any thoughts or comments and suggestions (and definitely encouragement) is greatly appreciated!

Hope you guys haven’t fallen asleep reading my so-called story!

Hey Missy I don’t think that “hopping through” lots of different majors and fields is a problem when you’ve reached just 23 years of age. Your plan makes lots of sense to me. There’s got to be a better way to get information about that Neuroscience program you’re so interested in - keep trying! And thank you for your dedication to working on a cure for MS. I am a beneficiary of the research that developed the beta-interferons - since starting Avonex 7 years ago I’ve managed to go to medical school and am halfway through residency! But so many folks with MS need a lot more help than we can currently give them - so thank you.
One other note for others reading: Missy made a typical undergrad mistake in that she thought she needed to take ALL science courses or major in a science in order to be a pre-med. In fact majoring in economics, international relations, dance, Latin, WHATEVER, is perfectly OK as long as you take the prereqs and maybe a few other courses. Med schools like interesting candidates and folks should pursue education in the things that really interest them.
Mary

RE: UCSF
Hi Missy,
Don’t wait for the UCSF folks to reply to your emails/phone calls. They are very good folks, but very busy. Go over there & talk to them. I’d start at the grad school admin office. Have specific questions in mind (“I’d like to understand what your ideal candidate would be like”…blah blah, whatever). Ask to meet with professors who may have 15-20 min available. When you’re there, if the Dean or 2nd person in Admin is not available, make an appt for a later date.
Good luck. My best friend has MS. I want you to get in!
Barb