Considering postbacs in SoCal

Los Angeles resident looking at USC, Scripps and UCLA’s “certificate” program. Does anyone have any feedback on their acceptance rates to MD programs? I have 3.6 undergrad GPA but little science. If I go to UCLA and get decent MCATs, can I get into a decent med school?
Also, I am considering Bryn Mawr’s postbac, if I got into it and Scripps, would it be worth it to relocate to PA? I am getting married in 6 months, and my future husband would be willing to move if need be. Thanks!

A common misconception is that you need to do a “formal” postbacc in order to apply for medical school. This is untrue. Since you already have a four year degree (with a decent GPA), you just need to take the medical school pre-reqs. You can take these at any university. You can take them as a regular undergrad (pretending to seek another degree, but not actually planning to finish said degree), or you can enroll as a “continuing education” student (this has different names at different schools.
I enrolled as a “Continuing Ed” student. For me, this worked out well. I just took primarily the courses I needed for medical school, did well in them, did decent on the MCAT and was accepted at several med schools.
There are advantages to some formal post-bacc programs. For some of these programs, if you perform to a certain level, you have a very good chance of being accepted to the affiliated medical school (sometimes without having to take the MCAT). For these programs with formal linkages, competition tends to be very fierce for even getting into these programs. Another advantage to the formal post-bacc is that the courses are all scheduled so that you can get them completed in a certain time period (12-24 months).
Now, they also have disadvantages. Some people who have done formal programs have said that the level of competition in these programs is VERY high. Much higher than the level of competition if you were taking the course at the undergraduate level. There are limited options for taking a course - you don’t have any choice about what order or with what professor you take your courses.
The cost for formal post-bacc can also be quite high. Definitely more expensive than just taking the courses as a regular undergraduate. Some will argue that its worth it due to “extras” that the program might have - advisors, MCAT prep, letter of recommendation service, linkage to a medical school. You have to decide how important these are to you. Even as a continuing ed student, you can usually access the undergrad pre-med advisor, MCAT prep, and letter services that they might offer for undergrads.
Formal programs are a very good option for some people. But, I just wanted you to be aware that a formal program is NOT necessary.
Amy

Thank you to Amy for your wise advice. Buoyed by your positive experience, I have done more research into the UCLA extension program, and it seems like it could be quite effective. May I run a few of my concerns by everyone?
- The one thing that is lost by attending UCLA is any hope of linking. However, does anyone know how likely one is to actually get linked, should I apply to a $25k post-bacc school & get in? If it’s a long shot, that seems like an expensive gamble to me. I asked the admissions counselor at Scripps and she said that linkage is decided during the first semester.
- UCLA’s classes are reputed to be over 300 students large. Does anyone know if that is that true? If it is true, will it be difficult to get recommendations? Any advice on improving the situation?
- Has anyone actually gone through the UCLA program or taken their pre-med requirements at UCLA? I am curious as to how many of these students go on to med school and where.
Also, Amy or anyone else, how did you fare against undergraduates? I know I’m “out of shape” academically; however, now I am motiviated, focused, and soon will be married to a biochem major who is very supportive of me - what else do I really need to get A’s?!
Thank you!

Quote:

- The one thing that is lost by attending UCLA is any hope of linking. However, does anyone know how likely one is to actually get linked, should I apply to a $25k post-bacc school & get in? If it’s a long shot, that seems like an expensive gamble to me. I asked the admissions counselor at Scripps and she said that linkage is decided during the first semester.

I honestly don’t know much about linkage programs. I’m sure different programs do linkages in different ways. For some programs, if you get accepted and successfully complete their requirements, you are guaranteed a seat. Others only promise you’ll get “consideration”. You’ll have to ask specific programs. Is the extra cash worth it? I honestly don’t know. I guess it depends on whether or not you have it in you to make yourself a competitive candidate.
Quote:

- UCLA’s classes are reputed to be over 300 students large. Does anyone know if that is that true? If it is true, will it be difficult to get recommendations? Any advice on improving the situation?

UCLA probably does have large class sizes. This can make it difficult (but not impossible) to get LOR’s. Look into whether UCLA has a branch campus that offers the pre-reqs. Class sizes at branch campuses are often smaller and allow more interaction than at the main campus. I took most of my pre-reqs at a branch of Ohio State. The class sizes were small (largest one was 62 for lecture) and the lectures and labs were both taught by actual professors, allowing me lots of interaction with them and a great learning experience. In contrast, these same courses at OSU’s main campus have 200+ in the lectures and the labs are supervised by TA’s. Another great place to get smaller class size is summer classes.
Quote:

Also, Amy or anyone else, how did you fare against undergraduates? I know I’m “out of shape” academically; however, now I am motiviated, focused, and soon will be married to a biochem major who is very supportive of me - what else do I really need to get A’s?!

I had a brief adjustment period. I had always avoided math and science classes, so I needed to get over the “I’m not good at math and science” mindset. However, I did exceptionally well. Being motivated and focused is half the battle. In some ways, you will have an advantage. I think my professors appreciated that I really wanted to LEARN the material, not just get a good grade with the least possible amount of work.
Hope that answers some of your questions.
Amy