Contacting Admissions and Encouragement!

Hello all!

Some of you may have read my post from a couple weeks ago about the realization that my gpa is lower than I thought it was. I had mentioned that I planned to contact Admissions at the schools I want to apply to in order to see if there is a “cutoff” gpa. I have only just now mustered the courage to email these people (first impressions are everything!) but am SO glad that I did!

Both were very quick to respond and not only answered my questions (one suggested not to apply if below a 2.5) but were extremely warm and encouraging. One person even let me know that they accepted someone with a low gpa last year but that this person also had a Master’s with a 4.0 (which I was surprised to find that they took into consideration) and a high MCAT. I was pleasantly surprised that they provided me with such details.

I just wanted to share that experience and let you guys know that if you’re wondering about something specific to not be scared to try to get the answer straight from the horse’s mouth. It feels good to get the definite answer that you’re looking for and to maybe even be encouraged along the way!

Thanks for sharing and congrats on the great news! I have to wonder how many OPM’s would have heard “yes” if they would have only asked. If you don’t ask, the only answer you will certainly get is “no”.

• Wiggy Said:
One person even let me know that they accepted someone with a low gpa last year but that this person also had a Master's with a 4.0 (which I was surprised to find that they took into consideration) and a high MCAT. I was pleasantly surprised that they provided me with such details.

Which school was that? I sort of fall in that category, I'd like to check them out. If you don't want to post the name publicly, please PM me.

Thanks!

That is great news, thanks so much for sharing! I have been completely terrified to apporoach my schools med sch. admissions in case they told me not to bother…it is great to hear goods news like yours.

That’s exactly how I felt! If you don’t ask then they can’t say yes or no… so you might as well ask!

i have a pretty low UG gpa 3.3 sci/3.4 overall, but i did well in grad school masters program and got a good mcat score. i have a few interviews under my belt so far so it seems there is hope! dont be afraid to call or email ad coms. i would say 85% are very nice and friendly. also, i’ve found them to be more responsive to phone calls than to emails.

just my two cents