Content of The Princeton Review

Hi Folks,
I wanted to get the forum started off with some comments about TPRs content and what they offer. (I did not use any MCAT prep test materials as I did not have the time.) I had the option to look at the booklets and materials that TPR offers to their course takers at the same time that I examined the Kaplan course materials.
TPR acquired the Hyperlearning materials a couple of years ago. These materials are the best for teaching critical thinking, logic and critical analysis. These materials are intergrated throughout their course materials and are the best that I have seen anywhere.
TPRs course is longer than the current version of Kaplan. This may or may not be postive for folks who are time-conscience. TPR offers many options of taking practice tests. This is comparable with Kaplan.
Both Kaplan and TPR courses are about the same price but after comparing the course materials from both companies, I would give the edge to TPR.
Before spending more than $1,000 for any review course, I would thoroughly investigate what you get for the money and what you NEED as an individual. If you feel that you have a knowledge gap, both courses are comparable but I feel that TPR has the edge in actually preparing you for the way that the MCAT examines the material. TPR keeps your head in the right place in that you can greatly increase you chances of guessing right by being able to eliminate the answers that just do not fit even if you do not know the material.
Only you can decide what you need but I would strongly recommend an MCAT prep course for anyone who has been away from academia or anyone who has taken a majority of their pre-reqs at the community college level. MCAT is a test that needs solid and systemic prep both from the knowledge standpoint and from the test taking skills standpoint.
Before you purchase, compare and get the best course for your needs and your money.
Natalie

Quote:

Hi Folks,
(I did not use any MCAT prep test materials as I did not have the time.) I had the option to look at the booklets and materials that TPR offers to their course takers at the same time that I examined the Kaplan course materials.

Hi Natalie, thanks for your post. Did you mean that you had a chance to examine the recent TPR & Kaplan materials, or the materials back when you were taking the MCAT?
mdjd

I used TPR’s materials this summer and thought they were excellent. The classes tended to be simply a reiteration of exactly what was printed in the books (including using the same examples) so that wasn’t the best for me, but for others who like to hear and read the same thing, I imagine the classes would be very helpful.
Larry

Quote:

Hi Natalie, thanks for your post. Did you mean that you had a chance to examine the recent TPR & Kaplan materials, or the materials back when you were taking the MCAT?
mdjd

Hi there,
I looked at the Princeton Review MCAT materials that were present at out last convention in June 2005. They were awesome and very complete. They offered excellent strategies for applying their information on this test. I was very, very impressed.
The Kaplan materials were just as detailed in factual content but lacked the strategy and application information of TPR. They were presented in a different style with an emphasis on practice but not necessarily application. Perhaps there was more application details in the class but the TPR books had more application and strategy information as you moved through the knowledge-based content. They were well-written and very, easy to follow. This was a huge leap from what I observed with TPR back when I was studying for the MCAT.
Go to both test centers if you can and examine the materials before you sign on the bottom line. Pick the course and course materials that suits your learning style the best. These courses are expensive so you really NEED to get the best and most helpful for your money.
Natalie

Quote:

I used TPR’s materials this summer and thought they were excellent. The classes tended to be simply a reiteration of exactly what was printed in the books (including using the same examples) so that wasn’t the best for me, but for others who like to hear and read the same thing, I imagine the classes would be very helpful.
Larry

Thanks Larry. It’s good to hear from folks who’ve used the materials. Did you use Kaplan or any others for comparative purposes?

I also looked through Examkrackers, but I really focused on TPR’s instead as I felt they were better for what I needed. I also listened to AudioOsmosis and found those to be a great way to get another take on the same material as I was getting in TPR (albeit not as in depth as TPR).
Larry

I’m currently enrolled in a Kaplan class, 3 month prep course on weekends. I think it is very well organized, and I like all the resources they have available. However, I also have all the ExamKrackers material (books and CD’s) and I can definitely see the above point in regards to actual strategy as it relates to Kaplan’s applying content knowledge (or somewhat of a lack thereof).
I had heard some negative things about Princeton from two former pre-meds, and so because of that didn’t even look at it (which may have been a mistake), but I do see the lacking qualities in Kaplan insofar as simplifying content.
My approach has been to use ExamKrackers for all the content prep, and use Kaplan as sort of the goal-setting time-clock to keep me moving, as well as give me adequate preliminary, full-length MCAT simulations. I think ExamKrackers is absolutely superb. There’s no need for me to waste time looking other places for this information, because it is explained and reviewed in ways that make so much sense and take out any extraneous BS that would only get in the way.
Sam

Well, I don’t see many other people posting that they are currently enrolled in TPR for the April 2006 exam. I have just completed my second week of the course, and I think that the instructors are incredible. I’m am so far extremely pleased with the course. The amount of homework assigned is daunting, however, I find it provides a great way to apply the information you’ve learned. After you’ve done 13-14 passages on the information in one chaper, it really solidifies it!