Cooper Medical School of Rowan University

I was looking at schools in New Jersey and Cooper came up as a new medical school that is starting in 2012. On the website they talk about the accreditation process and the building process.

Cooper

What I was wondering is if anyone else was thinking of applying or if anyone else had applied or matriculated at a school trying to go through the process. I might have an in at Rowan and will probably apply but wanted to hear from other about their experiences with similar situations.

• BaileyPup Said:
I was looking at schools in New Jersey and Cooper came up as a new medical school that is starting in 2012. On the website they talk about the accreditation process and the building process.

Cooper

What I was wondering is if anyone else was thinking of applying or if anyone else had applied or matriculated at a school trying to go through the process. I might have an in at Rowan and will probably apply but wanted to hear from other about their experiences with similar situations.

While I do not have personal information on Rowan, I will say that since 2006 or so, there have been about a dozen new allopathic medical schools open up. Because of the hurdles these schools must go thru before ever to even begin to accept students, it is highly unlikely that there will be an issue for the first class. I believe a school cannot be fully accredited until its first class actually graduates.

The one issue that has delayed new schools has been having sufficient clinical rotation space for the students. I would examine that piece carefully and see what they have.

The school at Rowan is a combination of Cooper Medical Center and Rowan University. Until last year, Cooper was affiliated with UMDNJ and for year, cooper has been trying to get their own school. UMDNJ has been trying to get out of the area because of budget issues.

Therefor, Cooper is now building its own medical school with Rowan. This is going to be the first non state medical school in NJ. They are currently building the school and I believe that they are interviewing for their first class.

When a new school opens, or wants to open, they need to pass certain credentials by the Mid Atlantic Commission on Higher Education. If they do, they receive provisional status and an enroll classes. After a few years, if they fulfill other requirements, they get are granted full status.

Cooper is one of the 3 level 1 trauma centers in NJ. It is just over the river from Philadelphia and about 20 minutes away from UMDNJ-School of Osteopathic Medicine, which is affiliated with Kennedy University Medical Center and Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center.

• gabelerman Said:
Therefor, Cooper is now building its own medical school with Rowan. This is going to be the first non state medical school in NJ. They are currently building the school and I believe that they are interviewing for their first class.

Really? Rowan used to be Glassboro State. I know they changed their name when the Rowan family gave them barrels of $$$, but I'm nearly positive they're still one of the dozen public institutions we have here.

Cooper is a private entity. The only state medical schools are associated with UMDNJ

Thanks guys. I am also looking at UMDNJ-SOM as well, but found this school too. I have some family in the area so it would be nice to go to school there.