coping with incrowds

Does anyone know the answer to coping with incrowds who make your life a misery?

Moved to correct forum.

QUOTE (kayley @ May 24 2003, 10:27 AM)
Does anyone know the answer to coping with incrowds who make your life a misery?

What exactly do you mean?

I mean groups of people who try and make your life a misery when you are trying to achieve your goal

Kayley,
Having been a “marginal” (a person at the edge of societal groups) all of my life, I can tell you it isn’t easy. My first round in college, as a drama major, my advisor, who was the director of the theatre, had a thing against both overweight people and gay people. Our piano player, very talented, but gay, was tolerated (barely). Myself, an overweight actor, was shunned while “fat” characters were created with fat suits. mad.gif What can I say? I ended up leaving the program, disgruntled and disillusioned. The director is now now head of the Speech Dept. This man held underage drinking parties for his “favorites” but hey, you know, life doesn’t always punish those like him. You will just have to ignore those people who won’t support you and find someone who will. My current pre-med advisor is also not supportive of my goal to be a doctor. It can hurt me worse, seeing as his letter of recommendation won’t be there, but in the end, it is up to me to keep to my goal, keep trying, and as TrumpsMom says, hope one day to be able to just say “FYBIGMA!!” wink.gif ("F** You buddy, I got my acceptance!)
Kathy

SSShhhhh, Kathy. At least tell everybody where I got that phrase. . . . I didn’t just make it up! One of my bosses, himself an M.D., gave me the phrase FYBIGMA, along with another one for when you get your residency slot. . . . BOHICA (bend over, here it comes again!).
If you knew this doctor you would know how shocked I was to hear him say that!! biggrin.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (kayley @ Jun 9 2003, 06:50 AM)
I mean groups of people who try and make your life a misery when you are trying to achieve your goal

Hi there,
The interesting thing about negative people is that when they find an audience, they tend to hold onto it. Avoid these people like the plague because you don't want to be that audience for them. You have your dream and you don't need permission from anyone to pursue it. Grab for everything that you can and surround yourself with supportive people. Ignore the negative and naysayers! Consider the source and keep moving forward. In the end, it is your perception of yourself that you will project to others. Now is the time to start thinking of yourself as the professional that you seek to be. How would you act if you woke up tomorrow and were finished with medical school? Act that way now!
Natalie

I agree with Natelie - when I was climing out of my hole, there were a lot of those who put you down. At first it was always 'good for you,' but when you started, it turned to 'what, we're not good enough for ya or something.' Its weird, those who may have even been your friends do not really want to see you make it - ya just have to move on and don't look back if that is their true nature. After all, how could a friend not want to see you do well, and even help you on the way.